Insulated waterproof pants

I've been skiing in single digit temps a lot lately and while I'm all set in the upper body region, my normal combo of fleece pants, wool baselayer and goretex pants isn't cutting it.

Looking for suggestions. I like techy stuff with really good fabrics, zippers, etc.

I'd trade out the fleece pants for some wool ones. Whipcord weave hunting pants from LL Bean or some such. A bit heavier but much warmer. I had a couple different weights (12 and 16oz IIRC) for working in -15C and below.

I bought some new bibs and my entire layering system got fucked. My go to has been the same as your shell+fleece+long underwear. I just ordered (today) some Arc Teryx Atom LT pants (like the jacket, synthetic down with a bit of stretch) to try instead of the fleece. It's super techy, with full length zippers, fancy fabrics and insulation, DWR etc. The hope being I don't freeze on cold lifts, but they breath well enough when I work up a sweat.

I can let you know how it goes after a few weeks. I'll predict somewhere between completely sweating balls and freezing to death. Wish me luck.

If its that cold a pant being water proof is not really very important unless you fall thru the ice or sft eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Windproof is important though

After checking my farinheight to chelsea's converter I find we do that temp all the time up here

I use 100/200/300 weight polartech under a pair of arcterxy gortex pants with full side zips for a 15 min lift ride, its probably too cold to ski if I need 300 so mostly I go with 100 or 200

In any case my feet or hands or upper body get cold way before my ass

even a soft shell like windstopper can be windproof
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Windproof is important though
    As is a durable face fabric.

I really like insulated shells for resort skiing, it greatly simplifies the layer process.

yes, I can wear more fleece pants and such but it sure would be nice to just have a base layer and a pair of pants. The less layers to bunch up/manage/fish my dick out of, the better imo.

Some Windstopper with polartec insulation softshell pants that are designed for skiing would be cool too. They don't have to be hardshells in the temps I'm skiing in, but sometimes its snowing and it would be nice to stay dry.

I have a pair of decent shape DNA pants with an insulated seat you can have.

I wear Columbia insulated pants for skiing with no base layer down to about -10F, then if I add a layer it would be an Under armor type long john.

If really want waterproof, and want to spent the bucks. Klim stuff while heavier than most ski wear, is on a whole deferent level for quality. Just better tougher gear.

I just got a pair of Salomon Chill Out bibs. Stretchy hardshell-ish with light insulation. The bib portion is removable if that's not your style. Haven't had them out on the hill yet since it's been too warm but I can't see how I wouldn't enjoy having my legs stay warm on cold days without having to wear tons of layers.

Having Gore shell pants with a brushed backing material (currently in BD Mission pants) makes a significant difference over a more minimalist fabric lining. On the coldest days I'm in a mid weight icebreaker base layer, with an ancient Patagonia Cap 4 mid layer. Seems there's an opening for more technical mid layers - variations the 3/4 length pro pants with an R1 seat and knees that Patagonia made for a season. I'd love some extra padding for those long cold snowy chair rides at Red Mountain (10cm overnight and -9 degrees this morning).

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I just got a pair of Salomon Chill Out bibs. Stretchy hardshell-ish with light insulation. The bib portion is removable if that's not your style. Haven't had them out on the hill yet since it's been too warm but I can't see how I wouldn't enjoy having my legs stay warm on cold days without having to wear tons of layers.
    I've been looking at those. How do they fit? I have meaty man thighs from too many squats and need extra thigh room.

I have a friend who is a preternaturally cold and he rides in Klim snowmachine bibs.
    -well insulated gore pro shell, they are sick, fit is fullsize American, and you will be warm

http://www.klim.com/Keweenaw-Bib-3096-001.html#58970

I just packed my full Helly Hansen rubber fro skiing Alyeska today
    -speaking of that, see ya, gotta go ski

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I've been looking at those. How do they fit? I have meaty man thighs from too many squats and need extra thigh room.
    I would say they have a fit somewhere between regular and slightly loose. Far from baggy. The pants have a lot of stretch built in though. I think you'd have to be in too small a size to actually feel constricted.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I've been skiing in single digit temps a lot lately and while I'm all set in the upper body region, my normal combo of fleece pants, wool baselayer and goretex pants isn't cutting it.

Looking for suggestions. I like techy stuff with really good fabrics, zippers, etc.
    BD Zone pants.
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

OR vanguard for me on cold days
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I'd trade out the fleece pants for some wool ones. Whipcord weave hunting pants from LL Bean or some such. A bit heavier but much warmer. I had a couple different weights (12 and 16oz IIRC) for working in -15C and below.
    Or AF surplus flight pants:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack and Michael Koerner Mt Washington cropped.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	174461
    Survived a night out on Mt Washington in those. --30F, 100-140MPH wind. (OK, the double quilted down parka and sticking my legs in my pack helped)

They even have a padded putt if you snowboard.

But seriously--does your shell have a mesh lining--I've found that that makes a big difference, especially considering the minimal weight.

If you want to take the edge off get a pair of pants made from polartec or whatever brand fleece you like. Modify the length to below the knees - preferably to the boot top. There are many different weights of fleece available. I like the gridded fleece like on Patagucci R1 stuff - combine that with a pair of merino base layer in 3/4 length and you are in good shape.

If it's obnoxiously cold - then you may need a fully insulated pant.

Been in the BD Zone pant all winter, gore tex and insulation, just run a light wool under layer.

Works for me.