Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    yeah I got a good deal on some red & blue 185's used and in good condition, at 160 5'8" they can thro me off in the trees if i don't pay attention but i'm liking them for variable conditions
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Great ski.
    Stiff but more forgiving
    More sidecut than I m used to, but it's fun

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Great ski.
    Stiff but more forgiving
    More sidecut than I m used to, but it's fun
    The way I understand the old lineup if the extra width works for you than the metal Bodacious is a wider Cochise with longer sidecut. IIRC, Cochise and Bodacious were pressed with the same rocker profile. Perhaps Xavier or someone of that ilk would know specifics in regards to differences in the layup, however, stiff but forgiving would be an accurate representation of my pair. I have yet to find conditions where they aren't totally dependable, the only time I have to consider what's on my feet is when skiing an open face without much in the way of landmarks and realize I've gone from 0 to mach looney in about 3 turns.

I love the Cochise more than any other ski I've used. To me it exemplifies the category of friendly charger (I don't think I want or need a really serious charger). It'll crush whatever crud I can push it through, hold a hard edge, rail hardpack once I tip it up far enough, haul ass, but still change turn shape or break into a skid any time I want. A long time ago someone here posted that this ski whispers in your ear, "go faster."

The second gen is good too, maybe a little better in hard snow, and maybe a little floatier. But maybe a little less fun.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Ditto. Nothing better in my opinion. I’m hoarding them, 4 pair, like fine wine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    Ditto. Nothing better in my opinion. I’m hoarding them, 4 pair, like fine wine.

which model year are you particularly hoarding?

I have a beat up pair of the brown ones that I can't put away for the blues I have on ice. Favorite ski.

I've got the OG Bodacious and the Dakota [Cochise with slightly lighter core] with metal. The Dakota was cheaper than a Cochise, since it was older, and in a long-ish size for most Women at 177 - and frankly I like the topsheets better than the somewhat garish Brown or Blue Cochose with the stars..

Both are, IMO, really incredible skis. I keep thinking I should pick up another pair of each, if I can find them cheap. I could probably live with the Cochise/Dakota for 90% of my days. Bo's come out when it's deeper, and some Kastles when it's super-firm and we're just doing groomer laps.

They honestly seem pretty forgiving to me. If things go wrong it's always me, not the skis. Stay calm and centered and they ride out of nearly anything, IMO.

im going to call the model I have "brown bulls"...i make an angry bull noise on the lift when i get the graphic lined up just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    im going to call the model I have "brown bulls"...i make an angry bull noise on the lift when i get the graphic lined up just right.
    I have the same year but different side effects - I compulsively mate with any and all heifers in the area once I click in

I have two sets of the brown (2nd year) and a pair of the blue (3rd year). I owned the version that added carbon tips and tails, mellowed the rocker, and added some camber and it stopped being the ski I loved. If I skied where there are less fresh days, I might prefer the latest iteration, but here in the dense coastal snowpack of the PNW, the OG version kills it.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I have the same year but different side effects - I compulsively mate with any and all heifers in the area once I click in
    I'm not much for "bigger" girls. To each their own though

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Have you guys also skied the Katanas to compare? I loved the cochise..until I tried the metal Katanas.

What is it about Blizzard that they can sell so many charger skis, but Volkl and HEAD can’t sell em’ if their lives depended on it. Katanas, gone, didnt sell...Monsters, gone, didn’t sell..

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    What is it about Blizzard that they can sell so many charger skis, but Volkl and HEAD can’t sell em’ if their lives depended on it. Katanas, gone, didnt sell...Monsters, gone, didn’t sell..
    Did Volkl really have that much trouble selling the metal Katanas? I feel like I saw those things around pretty often. Purely based on lift line observations, I think I saw the metal Katanas more frequently a few years ago than I see the new carbon Katanas these days.

The Monsters seem like a somewhat different beast. Compared to the Katana or Cochise, it's a bit more traditional, a bit less accessible, and a bit less versatile, which all seem like traits that really limited its audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I have two sets of the brown (2nd year) and a pair of the blue (3rd year). I owned the version that added carbon tips and tails, mellowed the rocker, and added some camber and it stopped being the ski I loved. If I skied where there are less fresh days, I might prefer the latest iteration, but here in the dense coastal snowpack of the PNW, the OG version kills it.
    It sounds like I need to be looking for the brown or blue Cochise. They had the simple bull on the tip graphic, right?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    It sounds like I need to be looking for the brown or blue Cochise. They had the simple bull on the tip graphic, right?
    No. The "simple bull" ones are the more recent versions. If you're after the first gen OG ones then you want one that looks like any of these which are all identical except topsheet:

https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/blizzard-cochise-2012
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/blizzard-cochise-2013
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/blizzard-cochise-2014

but here in the dense coastal snowpack of the PNW, the OG version kills it.
    This, in spades.
    Especially in spring conditions.

Have you guys also skied the Katanas to compare? I loved the cochise..until I tried the metal Katanas.

Funny you say that- I sold the Cochise because I thought it was too similar to the 108 Monsters I already owned and certainly paid more for.

You told me I couldn’t fold them up and you were right- the OG Cochise is a very stout ski. I thought reviews made it out to be more playful than it is- More stiff and burly than I thought it was going to be. Also weirder at ‘carving’ than I thought it was going to be. Most slarvy but decidedly directional ski I’ve tried. returns great energy when you get the hang of it.

Bases seem super soft and not durable compared to my Praxis skis, event 4frnt.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    No. The "simple bull" ones are the more recent versions. If you're after the first gen OG ones then you want one that looks like any of these which are all identical except topsheet:

https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/blizzard-cochise-2012
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/blizzard-cochise-2013
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/blizzard-cochise-2014
    Sweet, thank you.

i qualitatively remember the second gen (2013) being slightly more stiff than the first gen. i have the 2nd gen 193 as a daily, and it is absolutely stout, particularly through the tail. granted, i am +1-1.5. my 191 Caylors and 186 Vicik are nowhere near as much work to ski. if you have the leg strength and don’t care for a playful style, they’re super rewarding.

I sold my non-rockered metal Katanas (had 183’s and 190’s) after a few days on the OG Cochise. Never skied the full rockered version of the Katana. The Katana is an awesome ski and is much better in real pow, but the Cochise was just better at everything else and less demanding.

People forget that the Cochise got “Ski of the Year” in Ski Magazine the first year it was released. All those flip core skis scored really high and Blizzard sold a shit ton of Cochises and Bonafides. They just have an accessibility to them that Katanas and Monsters don’t have. Some people hate the loose feel, but every time I get back on them, I am reminded how perfect they are for me.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Funny you say that- I sold the Cochise because I thought it was too similar to the 108 Monsters I already owned and certainly paid more for.

You told me I couldn’t fold them up and you were right- the OG Cochise is a very stout ski. I thought reviews made it out to be more playful than it is- More stiff and burly than I thought it was going to be. Also weirder at ‘carving’ than I thought it was going to be. Most slarvy but decidedly directional ski I’ve tried. returns great energy when you get the hang of it.

Bases seem super soft and not durable compared to my Praxis skis, event 4frnt.
    The first gen Cochise progressed my ability as a skier. For that reason, they will always hold a spot in my memory. My first year in Jackson Hole I put a good amount of time on them. 30 days or so. TahoeJ sold me them like 5 years ago now. I had great luck with the bases, 500” year in the Tetons that year, and everything else on the skis held up really well too.

I know Blizzards are known for weak bases, but I have had better luck with all the ones I’ve had, compared to my armada, head, atomic and volkl bases. It’s like Blizzards are slightly more predictable than other skis in their category, and I can avoid rocks a bit easier.. lol don’t quote me on that, it’s probably just luck. Bonafides, Cochise, and Gunsmokes at least, I haven’t tried the rustlers yet.

I was on the 185 OG cochise, which were slightly short for me, and they allowed me to ski Jackson hole moguls better, while still at a good pace. Rocker/flat/rocker at 21 years old, allowed me to hide all my technique issues, and at the same time allowed me to progress in difficult conditions and tougher areas faster.

Katanas were next. I lost my shit all together with those, they blew my mind.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

The fully rockered metal Katanas ski very close to the OG Cochise. Same chargy but at the same time loose feeling. Katanas are better in powder, though.

Blizzard Cochise too stiff for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    which model year are you particularly hoarding?

Last edited by swissbro; 02-22-2018 at 06:34 AM.

I have two sets of the brown (2nd year) and a pair of the blue (3rd year). I owned the version that added carbon tips and tails, mellowed the rocker, and added some camber and it stopped being the ski I loved. If I skied where there are less fresh days, I might prefer the latest iteration, but here in the dense coastal snowpack of the PNW, the OG version
    kills it.

I bought your 2016’s. I’m in a bigger boot than you so ended up about 4 mm back of recommended but I’m very happy with them. I also own the Brahma, Bonafide, and 2013 and 2017 Bodacious. Yeah I know. On a recent 10 inch day at Targhee the Cochise was perfect. I kept thinking I’d go back to the car for the fatter ski but I just didn’t bother.