Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good ski movies with chilled out soundtracks?

So, been out of the loop on ski movies and my toddler likes to sit on my lap and watch them to fall asleep for naps. What are some good choices?
    Been working through my old movies, but many have the early 2000's screamo/metal soundtracks, so not necessarily a good fit. Keep your Tips up on redbull seems to be ok, but running out of episodes.

Nimbus' movie when the sky falls
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Signatures by Sweetgrass.

Idea

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Almost all ski movies over the past several years have chilled out on the music. Fortunately. I hated that screaming bullshit.

Blank.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Salomon FreeskiTV always had good music choices and pretty chill. Nice content.

I love Stump's movies and particularly his ZTT soundtracks. I think Fisful of Moguls and Siberia have the more chilled soundtracks, but I also love Groove - Requiem in the Key of Ski's mix (Bjork, Seal, Ice-T, 808 State, Massive Attack)

https://web.archive.org/web/20130302...oviemusic.com/

Immersion?

Depends on how you feel about watching naked women with a toddler on your lap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Almost all ski movies over the past several years have chilled out on the music. Fortunately. I hated that screaming bullshit.
    So which are the best ones? I'm seriously out of the loop.

Lots of the movies now have whiny dreary emo garbage. It is a shame. I loved the punk, rap and reggae (as well as Sublime and some ska influenced stuff) that was being put out a decade ago.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Although they were pretty heavy on jib footage, the Rage Film offerings had excellent soundtracks in the vein you might be looking for. It was pretty unique stuff for me. See "Enjoy" and "Such is Life" in particular (and there is some big mountain goodness in both). Their cinematography coupled with their pretty snazzy soundtracks often had me watching much more jib than I ever would have thought.

Although I guess I can't argue with Sweetgrass films, if the point is to put you to sleep. I loved Valhalla, but the first few movies were surefire to drop your eyelids. Beautifully shot, but the pace and music seemed to slow your heartbeat down to a crawl. I literally fell asleep the first views of both "Signatures" and "Hand Cut".

Also, I dig screaming metal like no other....holy crap do I.

But I have yet to see it done well with ski films. Not sure it will ever be a perfect fit. Hah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbhZRKxp7M

Supervention had awesome soundtrack. It also has several of the best skiers in the world, the spectacular Norwegian nature and the best use of light and cinematic in a ski movie ever.

Go watch it.

Edit: How do you get the video to show inline like it does above with the valhalla movie?
    Last edited by LiveLarger; 01-05-2016 at 03:35 PM.

second Sweetgrass and Nimbus choices....else just mute and put on own chilled music?

I usually like the music in meathead films

Tee time is all time

Thanks All!

Quote Originally Posted by SILENCER View Post
    Although I guess I can't argue with Sweetgrass films, if the point is to put you to sleep. I loved Valhalla, but the first few movies were surefire to drop your eyelids. Beautifully shot, but the pace and music seemed to slow your heartbeat down to a crawl. I literally fell asleep the first views of both "Signatures" and "Hand Cut".
    Could not agree more. I remember seeing Hand Cut back in the day and really liking the footage, but not feeling the music angle. Came away from the film not entirely stoked (which is maybe part of their approach). For Solitaire and later, José González, et al haven't been really been my jam.

A Skier's Journey from Jordan Manley a few years back had mellow, but diverse soundtracks. Awesome storytelling and imagery.

2nds in Supervention, such a sick flic and it is (or was) on Netflix!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Solitaire

(not a particularly great "ski movie" but fantastic music)

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The Unparalleled movies have mellow soundtracks as I recall. G Love, and such. But I'm not sure how available those are these days - if you can find 'em, prices are probably cheap.

I thought Powderwhores movies tended toward the chill as well?

Be warned however that these flicks might turn your toddler into some kind of hippie tele skier.

i don't know if it's been said but I really enjoyed 'after the sky falls'

the skiing was absolutely fantastic and I loved the sound track / feel to it. A very relaxed one. Definitely anything from those guys.

Idea had some great tracks on it (down tempo). Same with Sweetgrass' Hand Cut (country blues, not to be mistook for country) Valhalla (psych rock). Tanner Hall's Believe had a decent soundtrack.