Thread: Shock rebuild

Shock rebuild

My LBS is telling me I need a shock rebuild and they say I need to send it back to Rockshox for that to happen. So what do I, just figure out how to take it off my bike throw it in a box and send it to them? Do I have to send anything else?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

That's unnecessary. This is something anyone with some common sense can do (it is s little messy). Check another bike shop?

What fork is it? It may have a nonservicable damper. I have a low end shock on my FS and it can't be serviced. I don't think there's any service needed for it anyway, unless something breaks, since it's basically a rubber baby bucky bumper. Low end forks are the same way. I have some old Judy on what is now my computer and there's basically nothing for it maintenance wise.
    Does it feel like a car with bad shocks? If not, don't worry about it.
    My X Fusion might be getting there. Those can definitely be rebuilt.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Go to the rockshox site, check for a service manual for the part. Then you can browse through the procedure to see if it looks like something you or any shop should be able to do.

Was there some sort of performance issue? It would help to know why they made the suggestion in the first place. They're probably not just making this shit up to get your money or they'd have suggested you leave it with them.
    That said, shops are probably more likely to just parrot the manufacturers service interval because they don't understand suspension and it keeps them out of trouble. It's not going to help them to let you know that most people don't even come close to following recommended service intervals with no problems at all.

Yes, with most bikes you should be able to just pull out a couple bolts and take the shock off. It certainly won't help to have RS service it, but there's a big difference in DIY-ability depending on whether you need a quick air sleeve service or a complete damper rebuild.

It's probably not necessary to let you know that Stuckey's advice about owning shitty forks won't help you at all. And it probably won't help pointing out to Stuckey that this thread is about shocks, not forks.

Lastly, if you schedule service with a third party like Suspension Experts or Avalanche, you can minimize downtime.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Its a Recon Silver Solo Air TK, 120mm (4.7in) travel. It gives with not much force at all the first inch or two. But not all the time, just most of the time.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Shock rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    So what do I do
    Either find a different mechanic, preferably the service dept manager, at that shop or take it to another shop that is locally acknowledged as a good mountain bike shop.

There probably isn't much that can be done with that fork besides a basic rebuild, and that's something that just about any shop should be able to handle, especially this time of year. Winter is a good time for learnin' stuff in bike shops.

Is it bottoming out easily? If not, that light breakaway force is probably 'right' and the sticky initial travel is the problem....which should be remedied with some fresh dust wipers, internal grease on o-rings and some fresh splash oil. Then reset your air pressure once everything is lubed up.
    Last edited by flowtron's ghost; 12-30-2015 at 09:58 AM.

^^ Yep. A good shop should be able to handle it. My LBS said I had to send it in, so now I take my bike elsewhere... definitely a bit of a red flag IMO. I'd rather drive 30-40 minutes to drop it off than dealing with sending the damn thing in the mail.

Agreed with the others. Sounds like the shop doesn't do any shock service in house and will be sending it out to a RS service center. Nothing wrong with that if you like the shop but it will likely add to the turnaround time and cost. Those forks are about as basic internally as it gets. All you can really do is a basic service unless you've broke the damper. If that's the case the damper just threads out and you thread a new one in but you would want to watch your costs on this. For what you would end up paying you would likely be better off looking at something like a new old stock Reba on ebay (a much better fork). If you aren't in a huge hurry to get it done it's a great chance to learn a bit about servicing a fork if you are inclined to do so. It's actually pretty rewarding and it will allow you to stay on top of maintenance going forward.

Ill just take it to a different shop, I have all winter and my thumb is still broken so time is not an issue.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Service on rockshox forks is pretty straightforward and the manuals are easy to follow. New wipers/seals/foam rings and fluid in the lowers is the basic service, and then opening up the damper and air spring are a little more involved.

I was probably closer to 100 hours than 50 for my last basic service and the foam rings still looked good. Once they get packed up with dirt the stanchions get scored up and that is bad.

If it doesn't feel right I would say a full service isn't a bad idea. That means a bunch of new o-rings, wiper for the rebound piston, new damper fluid, and new lube on the air shaft. I have done it myself a few times and as long as you can follow directions it's not bad, and you don't need much for specialized tools, so it seems funny that a shop would need to send it out.