Heel Off-Set When Mounting Dynafit Bindings With Inserts

I've posted this a few times on various binding threads but the info, in some cases, was based upon pre-production bindings. Dynafit have since made some slight changes to the production models so here's the latest dims.

The mounting off-set at the heel is required to ensure that, when the binding is correctly adjusted for length, that the mounting screws are still accessible and are not covered by the upper heel chassis meaning that the bindings can then be removed/reinstalled without having to adjust/re-adjust the length each time.

The method is, when using a jig set to the bsl, is to position it & mark/drill the toes as normal but then to move the jig forward by the distance shown below and then mark/drill the heel.

Beast 16: +4mm
    Beast 14: +4mm
    Radical 1 ST/FT: +5mm
    Radical 2 ST/FT: No offset required

And if you can set the jig length using the actual boot (with the Power Inserts installed in the case of the Beasts which adds a mm to the bsl) then 99% of the time you'll find you have the exact boot/heel gap without having to adjust the heel length at all and the mounting screws with be perfectly accessible/centred etc.

Obviously there's no requirement to off-set the heel on the models without brakes, ie Speed Turn, Speed Turn 2, Speed Radical etc.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 12-28-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo & additional info

This is sweet information which is likely to get lost in the noise. Thanks for sharing.

^x2. There should be an alarm that auto bumps certain threads after a set time.

Killer helpful info jon - can you also post the value for older dynafits? I remember I successfully used that info in the past and might be helpful to have it here as well?

Excellent information. Sweet baby jesus, how I wish I had known this earlier. Not the end of the world, but damn is it a pain moving that heel back and forth to swap bindings; I often now just remove the heel unit from the base.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

But what if You didn't thought about that before, and it's all drilled and glued?

Well, there are those really cheap chinese screw drivers w/multiple bits stored in their handle, that - if You don't have any bit inserted - will take that Dynafit heel adjustment screw. Makes moving heel unit back&forth a pinch.

Just remember that for older Dynafits to release correctly and to account for ski flexthe heel gap MUST be set to 5.5mm (I carry a piece of plastic exactly 5.5mm thick in a handle of mine).