Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where the heck to find cool house plans

I realize it's a personal question the lady and me are looking at building another place on a small acreage and have been perusing the magazines and Internet and not really coming across much

Mountain style, simple roof like to match the existing place... Walkout first floor plus one more floor

seems all the cool ones are more cabin style 1300-1500 sq foot (too small) and all the nice style ones in the magazines seem to be 5000+ not really coming across much in the 2000sq foot area with no garage.

Most people just dealing straight with a designer?

"Cool" is obviously subjective. I say keep looking at magazines and the internet for ideas. Even if you go with an architect you want to walk into the first meeting with a folder full of clippings that show what you like and a good list of what you (think you) need. Here's like 4300 plans for houses 2000-2500 sq. ft., most probably pretty crappy I bet but maybe some good ones: http://www.theplancollection.com/hou...feet-2000-2500

Look at the better manufactured home companies too, Lindal, Acorn, Deck House (same company as Acorn but different) etc. Expensive but pretty cool and worth looking at.

I looked at hundreds before building mine.
    I took a bit from the ones I liked, and put them together.
    I just put all the links.
    There are duplicates, but I am lazy
    http://www.eplans.com/
    http://www.designconnection.com/plan.asp?plan=n386

http://www.thehouseplanshop.com/3804.../040h-0052.php
    http://www.designconnection.com/plan.asp?plan=WD105
    I will edit to add.
    Whatever you decide on kitchen add more.
    Whatever you decide on Garage add 10ft.-both ways.
    Whatever you decide in Insulation add more.
    Cabinet space..you got it add more.
    Electrical outlets-add more.
    It is amazing what you learn.
    I dont know what size house you are looking at, but I will PM you my photobucket, and look at what I have to see if any of it suits your situation
    Whatever you decide
    Last edited by LeeC; 12-27-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Awesome thanks

Do you have experience building in your area? If so ignore me. If not, around here at least (Truckee) the building dept really wants to see plans from local architects and engineers and don't want to see plans with anything other than what is standard practice in the Truckee area, even though the plan is to code. This was our experience with a bathroom addition and our friend who was building a spec house every year's experience when he used mail order plans. So it would be worth checking around to see how your building dept deals with outside plans. The biggest obstacle is compliance with local building codes--in our case 400lb/sf snow loads and direct vent pipes terminating 12 feet above the ground (I think the last time there was 12 feet of snow on the ground was the Donner Party).
    Last edited by old goat; 12-28-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffyg View Post
    I realize it's a personal question the lady and me are looking at building another place on a small acreage and have been perusing the magazines and Internet and not really coming across much

Mountain style, simple roof like to match the existing place... Walkout first floor plus one more floor

seems all the cool ones are more cabin style 1300-1500 sq foot (too small) and all the nice style ones in the magazines seem to be 5000+ not really coming across much in the 2000sq foot area with no garage.

Most people just dealing straight with a designer?
    If you like the 1300-1500 sqft cabins how hard is it to expand a 24'x30' 1420 sqft cagin to 28'x36' 2016 sqft cabin?

Not that difficult.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

As a chronic DIYer, I can relate to 'how hard can it be' attitude towards using 'cool' looking projects others have done as a guide to your own home or cabin in the woods....along with expectations for cheap drawings to 'get the permit' and go from there.

As a long time home designer, I can tell you there's more to it than meets the eye. Just because a 'plan looks cool' does not necessarily mean it is your best option for your given set of circumstances. Ie, true needs and wants, future planning, structural systems, siting, solar gain/controls, access, snow loads, customizing, etc, etc. There are plenty of DIYers blissfully ignorant and content with their projects and have no idea nor care how a few smart design tweaks could've made it better and possibly more valuable and avoid the 'woulda, shoulda, couldas'. So, at least consider getting some input from a designer or architect.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    If you like the 1300-1500 sqft cabins how hard is it to expand a 24'x30' 1420 sqft cagin to 28'x36' 2016 sqft cabin?

Not that difficult.
    Best hire an architect in this situation. It's very complicated...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

i can draw up some plans for you provided i get free housing when skiing the zone
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I had the city manager do mine.
    He was friends with my builder, and did it on the side.
    Win/Win for me.

Picking a house plan out of a magazine or the internet and just sticking it on any ole site is just plain retarded.

Hire an architect. Design and build that shit right.
    "PC Load Letter, what the fuck does that mean?"

All good points just trying to get a folder full of likes to get someone to look over. Fortunate enough to not need any permits etc and have a site that would work best with a specific designed to exploit the nice views. Found a few nice floor plans in the lindal site that I can start to work with

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

Not that difficult.
    Just photocopy it and enlarge 42%.

Morans....
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Id hire an Architect for a few grand, look around youll save it in the long run. code compliance and change orders add up

Quote Originally Posted by encore View Post
    Picking a house plan out of a magazine or the internet and just sticking it on any ole site is just plain retarded.

Hire an architect. Design and build that shit right.

Bullshit, there's good plans out there. I'd be more worried about finding a good builder.

http://www.countryplans.com/

Years ago I help a client do a deal with this guy. Good man.

ETA: countryplans has an active forum with many participants who have used the plans and report no problems with acceptance by many local building departments
    Last edited by Big Steve; 12-29-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Do you have experience building in your area? If so ignore me. If not, around here at least (Truckee) the building dept really wants to see plans from local architects and engineers and don't want to see plans with anything other than what is standard practice in the Truckee area, even though the plan is to code. This was our experience with a bathroom addition and our friend who was building a spec house every year's experience when he used mail order plans. So it would be worth checking around to see how your building dept deals with outside plans. The biggest obstacle is compliance with local building codes--in our case 400lb/sf snow loads and direct vent pipes terminating 12 feet above the ground (I think the last time there was 12 feet of snow on the ground was the Donner Party).
    Yeah, i am from that area and your Donner party comment is so funny and kind of true....

Mike Basich built his own stone house there. he has a rope tow and a snowcat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sadOfmkTtpw
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Where the heck to find cool house plans

Aww heck naw

Thought you were seeking plants. I just read plants
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

there is thread for that

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Bullshit, there's good plans out there. I'd be more worried about finding a good builder.
    Designing any building should be climate and site specific. Yeah there may be "good" plans "out there", but it doesn't mean that they'll work on any ole site in any ole climate. Why the hell you wouldn't spend a few thousand on an architect to at least provide you a basic design that works for you, your family, the climate, the site is dumbfounding; especially considering you'll be spending close to 75% of your time there. Seems worth the money to me.
    "PC Load Letter, what the fuck does that mean?"

I think what you are talking about are "floor plans". Obviously, a local architects/engineer will be involved eventually. Do you have an architect locally you would use? Most will let you browse their library of plans. Most homes I work on <$1million are derivative. Without being too much of a dick, do you have any drafting/design/construction skills? Because, if yes, start with a piece of graph paper.

Off the top of my head, give the desired walkout:

Wear is the southeast exposure?
    Wear is the driveway?
    Main floor master or downstairs?
    How many bathrooms?
    Budget?

I have no idea what your dream is and your family situation but I'd suggest figuring out what you want for living space instead of square foot. A well designed house can fit a shit ton move livability into less square feet than generic "big house".

I've worked on homes where "my wife designed it" and some job shop provided the required prints that were a total mess.

We lucked into an incredibly great local engineer who designed exactly what we wanted for mere peanuts.

This was after several rounds of crappy architects 10 years prior that had left a very bad residue.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I wanna noe where to find kewl house plants, all mine are jerks!
    watch out for snakes

http://www.concepthome.com/house-plans/.

Some different stuff there working with an architect is kinda the key I agree how does one shop for one of those locally I think there is one guy that does it... No idea anything about him or his work

Starting to get a handle on what's important but it all adds up pretty quick when she wants the large master and walk in closet etc etc