Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired2theT View Post
    After working at a shop for a few years I started to notice a trend in bindings. Almost 100% of bindings I saw come in that were broken were Markers.
    I have (and do) own a few pairs of Markers. I haven't had any problems - though, I wasn't skiing them as hard 15 years ago. As with all things, personal experiences vary.

From what I gather from this thread: there was a somewhat widespread problem 15-20+ years ago, which doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the bindings released in the last 5-10 years. All problems seem to be resolved, other than personal preferences and biases from long ago issues.

Sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    I have (and do) own a few pairs of Markers. I haven't had any problems - though, I wasn't skiing them as hard 15 years ago. As with all things, personal experiences vary.

From what I gather from this thread: there was a somewhat widespread problem 15-20+ years ago, which doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the bindings released in the last 5-10 years. All problems seem to be resolved, other than personal preferences and biases from long ago issues.

Sound right?
    I agree with that thought. From what I see, It's also probably not considered as hardcore skier, and more boyish(or for looks over function/quality). Sorta that teenager time period where most value looks over anything else seems to be associated with markers which I guess is why they are also joked about on tgr.

that's what I see

what is "a long time ago"? Curious.... 30yrs? 20? 15? If you are 25 "a long time ago" might be 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    The Look binding consistently failed the torque tests I did a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired2theT View Post
    After working at a shop for a few years I started to notice a trend in bindings. Almost 100% of bindings I saw come in that were broken were Markers.
    Thats funny, because all I ever saw were 912 Ti's, Z anything and Atomics. Oh and any 912 and 914 toe wings!

Oh yeah TECH TALK you fucking JONGS!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    Thats funny, because all I ever saw were 912 Ti's, Z anything and Atomics. Oh and any 912 and 914 toe wings!

Oh yeah TECH TALK you fucking JONGS!
    so sorry supergaper

Have only used the royal family, Duke and Jester.

The Duke had a lot of slop, but I think I put 500 days on them. 450 inbounds.

Jester felt like bear traps, but can agree that the heel ices up more than my 916's or Tyrolia's.
    Quote Originally Posted by timnormandin View Post
    I never wear a helmet 'cause I'm core. I do, however, Crazy Glue my cock to my leg so I won't ski over it. My cock that is, not my leg. not that you could ski over your leg...what was that about the Minnow being lost?

Don't touch that button

I've never skied the new generation of marker bindings, but out of the bindings I've tested in the shop no model has had more problems with the heels then bindings in the 'royal' family. I don't know why, but I often run into marker heels that test low as fuck. Same with the new rossi axial heel, brand new out of the box and the heel still tests low. Old rossi axial heels are still functioning like a champ.

^this makes a lot of sense. I regularly set my heels on my dukes and jesters 1-2 higher than my toes for acceptable retention.

The lever on one of my Dukes acts up and naturally slides the binding forward. This has only happened a couple times while skiing but it wears down the binding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

I was scarred in my teenage years by MRR's pre releasing. Haven't skied a Marker binding since (1993).

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    ^this makes a lot of sense. I regularly set my heels on my dukes and jesters 1-2 higher than my toes for acceptable retention.
    Yeah don't do that. I did that and learned the hard way. Had my griffons set a tad higher in the heel. First day on vacation 4 years ago skiing at homewood, I double ejected and supermaned head first into the trail. Luckily I was able to get my left arm around my head cause I wasn't wearing a helmet. I fractured my c7. All because the bindings were set differently. Apparently they don't work properly when the dins are off between the toe and heel. Luckily I'm back to ski another day and no longer ski markers.

^^^^

I humbly disagree. If the forward pressure was to high the toe might release weird but the toe and heal don't "talk" as far as din settings go. If you supermaned out of the heels it was either skier related or turn them up more to stay in. IMHO
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    Yeah don't do that. I did that and learned the hard way. Had my griffons set a tad higher in the heel. First day on vacation 4 years ago skiing at homewood, I double ejected and supermaned head first into the trail. Luckily I was able to get my left arm around my head cause I wasn't wearing a helmet. I fractured my c7. All because the bindings were set differently. Apparently they don't work properly when the dins are off between the toe and heel. Luckily I'm back to ski another day and no longer ski markers.
    Did you eject because you fell or hit something or was the release unwarranted?

Hmmm. I know a lot of racers who ran the toe and heel at different settings. I run my guardians with the toe at 12 and the heel at 13.5 because I kept coming out. Who said they didn't work properly when set at different DINs?

I ski different DINs front and rear in any brand of binding. I attribute that to my skiing style, not the binding(s). Typically my heel is 1 higher than the toe. I always start with them even, and don't move it up until I pre-release at least 2-3x over a week or so.

Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Bullshit.
    x2

x1000

Whoever told you this is sadly misinformed, and whether or not you change to another brand of bindings, it sounds as if an intro class in judo (or something else that teaches you how to tumble) might be a great skill to acquire.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

x1001
    The release and the forward pressure are 2 different springs.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Did not read this thread but I have marker griffons and they are great

Three pairs of OG dukes in 5 years. Various problems. You would think I learned my lesson. Basically just ski dynafits now.

Obviously there is plenty of beta on here about the current and recent product....but they've clearly gotten a lot better.

back in the day the twincam toe had very little elastic travel, so they needed to be set at a really high din to avoid almost-guaranteed prerelease in a chatter scenario....then you'd tear your knee with the high din. The deal was that the assembly would slide a given amount side to side but when it reached it's release point, by design, it dumped open the side wing....IMHO it was a really safe toe for beginner/intermediate level skiing, it just wasn't nearly enough elastic travel for a strong skier unless you set the din high enough that you wouldn't release at all ever--also not great.

Years ago, also, I think a lot of people harbored lingering hard feelings about the chintzy, weird MRR heels that you had to manually close over the heels of your boot, and would eject catastrophically if you accidentally touched the hair-trigger red lever of death.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 02-18-2016 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post

Yeah, what others have said about the older ones. Just crap. I read somwhere that the pro racers replaced the toe wings with solid metal slugs so they wouldn't release period.
    You may have read/heard that from me. I had a pair of those, they were a little scary.

I'll ski Marker bindings (regularly ski a Marker system clamp with royal-based toe and heel and a pair of Barons) but I won't seek them out to buy. They work fine, but I think prefer other bindings.

Why?

Price: Rarely are they cheaper than the Look / Rossi , Head / Tyrolia or Solly equivalent-level.
    Forward Pressure: The Royal-family heel requires way more forward pressure than other modern binding designs. This makes them harder to step in to and more of a PITA to adjust.
    Build quality and materials: At the same price point (Griffon vs Pivot12-14/SPX/Mojo/STH2 or Jester vs Pivot14-18/Mojo 15-18/STH2 16) the competitors offer more metal and higher quality build.