Sirius/XM Satellite Radio in Colorado Mountains?

Beginning in March, I'm going to have to frequently drive from the CO Front Range into the mountains, Utah, and Arizona. I'm thinking about picking up one of the Sirius/XM car radio so I don't have to depend on my shitty Sprint cell phone service to stream music. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-SXPL1...irius+xm+radio

Overall, how is the service through the mountains on I-70? I'm sure there are spots where service drops, but is it OK otherwise?

I haven't experienced any issues on 70, you lose service in the Eisenhower tunnel, and for a minute or two in Glenwood canyon.

I never understood why you can't buy an XM radio that would cache like 5 min of programming.

Sirius works great all over the state, UT & AZ, In some canyons and thick trees you can lose the signal for a bit here and there.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Besides for real short stretches where you're up against a canyon wall, I have never experienced any issues with service.
    go upside down.

Make sure your antenna is clear of roof obstructions like racks, bikes, rocket boxes and skis, etc.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I drove all around with Sirius, only had issues in tunnels or up places like Kane creek road where you're deep in a canyon. Does your car have the xm button in it already? I recommend having them wire directly to that instead of doing a separate interface. It's slightly more expensive but that's the one thing I regret not doing in my truck.

Comedy Central channel is good for long drives.

ETA: You try Spotify premium yet? I deactivated my truck radio since I won't be using it in Japan and got this for all our travels

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimb View Post
    I haven't experienced any issues on 70, you lose service in the Eisenhower tunnel, and for a minute or two in Glenwood canyon.

I never understood why you can't buy an XM radio that would cache like 5 min of programming.
    Before it standard equip I had one that would store like almost an hour, was crazy cool if you were listening to a program with commercials, just pause it whenever you make a stop and skip all the bs on the drive. Now I just have the one that came in my truck, never have issues except tunnels
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I love Sirius. All the driving I do up in the NE I've never had an issue unless I'm in a tunnel or under a bridge/ parking lot. It's great to be able to leave a station on and not lose it when I leave the area. Esp when there's no cell service.

Get a portable sirius receiver. If you are driving many places you will much appreciate three orbiting satellites. Xm uses two geosynchronous satellites that sit over LA and new York. I have had sirius since 2003 and have the life time plan. We have xm in my wifes 4runner and it doesn't work worth crap in canada or central us.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    two geosynchronous satellites that sit over LA and new York.
    Not possible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosynchronous_orbit
    Last edited by Harry; 12-25-2015 at 10:47 PM.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Read into it. No the satellites do not sit there but that is their "fixed" location of prime reception for xm radio. For example anything of altitude (mountain, building, etc) to the south of my location interferes with my reception. Hell, my xm doesn't even get reception for most of my drive to whistler through bc. Sirius on the other hand with its orbiting satellites gets reception any where i have been.

For those in Norcal--my XM radio works well in Truckee. Coming up 80 from the Sac valley I sometimes lose reception very briefly. I'm ready to ditch my Dish though.

Agreed with all of the above. Had the factory XM on mine, been all over CO and if you have a Canyon wall to your south, or a tunnel, those are the only areas between CO and UT, or WY or NM I have lost signal, never for more than the two minutes driving through the obstruction though. Also, don't pay full price, every year at my renew date I call, threaten to leave and end up paying around $96/year for the basic package. Totally worth doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingSpikeDancer View Post
    Agreed with all of the above. Had the factory XM on mine, been all over CO and if you have a Canyon wall to your south, or a tunnel, those are the only areas between CO and UT, or WY or NM I have lost signal, never for more than the two minutes driving through the obstruction though. Also, don't pay full price, every year at my renew date I call, threaten to leave and end up paying around $96/year for the basic package. Totally worth doing.
    what he sez^^ I apologized upfront for being so arrogant but look at my customer history and then please put me thru to whomever is gona ok a half price deal
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A little off topic, but podcasts are great for long drives. Download when you have wifi and enjoy later.

I've had Sirius for about 12 years now, and I wouldn't give it up. I originally got it for working in northern BC, where there is no radio reception. There are the odd signal dead spots due to overhead intrusions, but otherwise it's great.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot