Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: TLT7

A piece of 3mm bungy with a large knot, looped thru the top buckle of a dynafit one buckle boot will keep the cuff from locking

If you have trouble getting the top buckle closed use the 2hand method, put your arm behind your calf and grab your other hand whoch is holding the buckle to get that top buckle closef
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I am aware of the mods available. I have made the TLT6 (green) work for me for over a year now.

The Backland is easier to use, doesn't require home brew modifications and costs $250 less. Dynafit might want to figure themselves out if they wish to remain a leader in the NA touring market. If you aren't addicted to the kool-aid from the last 5 years when it was the only taste around, than there are less and less reasons to buy a Dynafit boot.

Backland Carbon is as light if not lighter than the TLT7, is easier to use, been out for a year, and costs $100 less now than the TLT7 will next year.

It ain't the coolaid, pure and simple the backland doesn't fit me while the dynafit does. I do agree dynafit has some problems the liners have always suckd , lee lau my yellow friend and vulcan fanboy has pretty much panned the khion as a bc boot in print , there are a whole bunch of rad 1's that are ready to blow out there and g3 is offering crazy good pro deals to guide's

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    How do you close the buckle without locking it into ski mode (aside from a mod)?
    if you read the description of the very boot that happens to be the subject of this thread, you'll see that the new buckle on the TLT 7 does just that.

3 modes :
    cuff closed, locked in ski mode
    cuff closed, not locked in ski mode
    cuff open, not locked in ski mode

The Backland is easier to use, doesn't require home brew modifications
    mods? bungy? home brew modifications
    is this the TLT 6 thread?

why the fuck are we comparing the TLT7 to the backland in terms of requiring home brew modifications for cuff closure, when it doesn't?

perhaps educate yourself, before you spout off about others drinking the koolaid.

Backland Carbon is as light if not lighter than the TLT7
    TLT7 CARBONIO: 990 grams
    TLT 7 Performance :1,010 grams
    Backland Carbon : 1166 grams
    all @ size 27.5

Atomic 150 grams per foot heavier.
    or 2/3 pound heavier per pair for you non metric types

perhaps educate yourself, before you spout off about others drinking the koolaid.

regardless, I'd take the koolaid over whatever lead poisoned IQ draining shit you must be drinking. You in Flint?

The TLT 7 does appear to offer three modes with the buckle. Unless somehow you can magic that bottom buckle (green one on 7P) open while keeping the black one on top of it closed, I don't see one of them being cuff closed - walk mode.
    To me the three appear to be:
    cuff closed, ski mode,
    cuff open, ski mode
    cuff open, walk mode.

So, in order to ski with the cuff closed you will still have to take your $1000 fancy pants boot, and throw some para cord jimmy rig on it. The buckle will also still require excess torque on it compared to EVERY OTHER FUCKING SKI BOOT ON THE MARKET, thus wearing out the buckle attachment faster. Seriously did they not realize that everyone else's ski boots lock down with a little pressure from one finger but to just close the TLT5/6/7 boots requires you to torque the fuck out of it?

Also, by simplifying it to a single buckle system, it appears you can't keep the instep closed either. basically they took one of the dumb ideas of the TLT6 and made it dumber. If you are in walk mode, all of the closures are open.

and backland carbon light. ~950 some grams. $900.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqLt...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by XavierD; 01-22-2016 at 01:40 AM.

I agree with most of what you said, but I think both "cuff open" modes are walk/skin modes. I mean, why would you want to ski with the cuff open? And no way Dynafit's stupid enough to have everyone skin with no buckle on the lower at all.

Even in the video you links, the dude says, "for ski [...] ing uphill" when discussing the cuff open/instep locked mode.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I agree with most of what you said, but I think both "cuff open" modes are walk/skin modes. I mean, why would you want to ski with the cuff open?
    I doubt this was part of Dynafit's design criteria, but the TLT series is popular with hardboot splitboarders, and those guys frequently ride with cuff in ski mode (to simulate a high back) but loosely buckled (so they have easy forward flex).

To me the three appear to be:
    cuff closed, ski mode,
    cuff open, ski mode
    cuff open, walk mode.
    Wrong. that video clearly shows the 3 modes to be:
    cuff closed, instep buckle closed, ski mode
    cuff open, instep buckle open, walk mode
    cuff open, instep buckle CLOSED, walk mode

well that is good at least. Still don't see how it can do a walk mode with the cuff closed, which has been one of my big gripes with my TLT6.

Meh, someone needs to tell Dynafit that the single buckle/walk mode might be great for the ski-mo crowd and racing, but is just a pain in the ass for touring on variable snow, and side hills.
    Each to their own opinion but I've never found them to be a pain in the ass under those, or any conditions, Mercurys, TLT6 and Vulcans have all worked fine for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Each to their own opinion but I've never found them to be a pain in the ass under those, or any conditions, Mercurys, TLT6 and Vulcans have all worked fine for me.
    That one buckle ski/walk mode thing is one of my favorite things about my Dynafit One boots. Not sure how anyone finds that difficult to buckle - just flip it shut, and lean fore/aft until it clicks into place.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That one buckle ski/walk mode thing is one of my favorite things about my Dynafit One boots. Not sure how anyone finds that difficult to buckle - just flip it shut, and lean fore/aft until it clicks into place.
    How many days do you have on them yet? Mine have gotten quite sloppy, so that I need to 'massage' it into place after pulling it around. It worked better when new. Also, I am in the camp that has to use a fair bit of force to close and open the buckle. Without a loop of cord it would be almost impossible for me to unlock the boot. I have very small calves/ankles and I think that contributes to the effort needed.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    How many days do you have on them yet?
    Couple of hundred, maybe even two fifty, at least on the Mecurys. No such slop. Ditched them because toe sockets were wearing out and Vulcans were cheap and disappearing.

TLTs and Vulcans are newer but both great
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

How many days do you have on them yet? Mine have gotten quite sloppy, so that I need to 'massage' it into place after pulling it around. It worked better when new. Also, I am in the camp that has to use a fair bit of force to close and open the buckle. Without a loop of cord it would be almost impossible for me to unlock the boot. I have very small calves/ankles and I think that contributes to the effort needed.
    Not that many - mine still look pretty new. So maybe that's the issue, and I missed that part. Where's the slop coming from? Is something getting misaligned inside the cuff, or does it stem from the main pivot?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Slop is coming from the rivets holding the lever assembly to the cuff. They have loads of play on my TLT5P(also the rectangular hole is enlarged on the carbon cuff, but I don't think that's causing this issue)

Perhaps it is an issue with a carbon cuff vs plastic? I have >150 days on mine, and bought slightly used.

I just recently modded my TLT6Ps with the B&D ankle pivot replacement. The metal-on-carbon pivot leads to a 100% failure rate in any boots used enough, failure defined here as slop. The whole thing is nice and laterally stiff again, so I'm really looking forward to the TLT9 at this point.

I've never noticed anything with the lever assembly...maybe I'll take a look later.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

The small rivets holding on the lever just need to be re-pressed, as there is now about 2mm of gap between the lever plate and cuff

What you do is grab the buckle with your outside hand, reach behind you calf with your inside hand and use it as a lever on your other hand.

Intuition molded my liners very tight on the last ladder and they never packed out atall

Had tlt7 on my feet. The toe volume is much larger than before. Actually, it sems too large for my foot. And the double leverage is - uhm - hard to understand. Time will tell, but I was really surprised

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Had tlt7 on my feet. The toe volume is much larger than before. Actually, it sems too large for my foot. And the double leverage is - uhm - hard to understand. Time will tell, but I was really surprised
    Surprised in a negative way?

Also, I was thinking about the new "speed nose" claim to allow for a more natural/ergonomic stride. If that is the case, why isn't it already found on rando race boots? (considering the revolutionary tlt5 was largely based off the DyNA race boot of the time)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantana1 View Post
    Surprised in a negative way?

Also, I was thinking about the new "speed nose" claim to allow for a more natural/ergonomic stride. If that is the case, why isn't it already found on rando race boots? (considering the revolutionary tlt5 was largely based off the DyNA race boot of the time)
    Because people do awesome shit, even in race boots.

I think there are/were requirements for certain sections of euro races that crampons were required. Hybrid crampons probably have enough extra weight and fiddle on transitions that the stride advantages would be negated.

edit: haha he uses hybrid crampons in the video I posted. Well, I hate hybrids anyways.
    Last edited by angrysasquatch; 02-06-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Not that many - mine still look pretty new. So maybe that's the issue, and I missed that part. Where's the slop coming from? Is something getting misaligned inside the cuff, or does it stem from the main pivot?
    In addition to pivot wear, the buckle bolt (the bolt that locks the two rear cuffs together) also wears down quite a bit, which contributes to play in the rear cuff. I´ve seen this on my TLT5P and a friends PDG. My Mercurys do not have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirkola View Post
    My Mercurys do not have this problem.
    It happened on my mercuries after 300+ days of touring. Fixed it temporarily with a layer of j.b. weld carefully filed to perfectly fit into the slot...factory fresh for another 20 days or so before it starting wearing...repeated at intervals for the rest of the life of the boots.
    Master of mediocrity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1455150917.046823.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	284.9 KB 
ID:	176570

To address a couple of questions, there are two versions of the boots (plus carbino) that are similar to the 2 khion versions, stiffer carbon inserts in the pro and the biggest difference is in the liner. The pro version has a very thin, light liner that gives a lot of volume around the boot (heel and ankle was still snugg). The expedition version has a bit more material, and takes up a lot of that excess volume. I have never been able to get the tlt 5 or six to work, just too tight around mid foot, but these felt perfect. A bit roomy with the stock liner, so skied these with my moulded liner from the Khions. Walk mode was great. Better then my F ones, and even though I didn't get to try them on the Arc Teryx pro line was supposed to be even better than the tlt7. Skiing them was a where they shined. It's been while since I've skied TLT6 but the 7's seemed as stiff, but much smoother flex. They were much more enjoyable in the rough, icy conditions that I had to test them on. I was skeptical as well about the buckle cable system, but it all works really smooth. The green buckle snugs down the front of the boot really well and is easy to adjust and the other dark buckle clamps everything into ski mode. Once the booth is set up transitioning will be super smooth. Really excited to get more time on these next fall!

I had both the TLT7P and Procline Carbon Light on today, both in a 27/27.5 (I wear a 27.5 in a green TLT6P for reference). I'd echo alive's comments, adding that the TLT7P fit is a departure from anything they've offered recently in light and fast boots. It's quite relaxed in forefoot width, instep height, and midfoot width (not sure what the reference last was, but it fits much like a Radical CR). I would definitely size down to a 26.5. The liner seems like a very slightly modified CL liner from the TLT6, though the tongue puts a band of pressure on your shin at the top - Ross from Salewa NA mentioned that they are tweaking the tongue shape a bit for the production run. Both walk modes are great, but the Procline will blow your mind. The Procline fit is much like the MTN Lab 98mm fit (could be the same, for all I know) - though it seems a little narrower in the heel. Didn't ski either boot as I'd need to do some work to last a few runs on the Procline and I'd be sloshing around in the 27.5 TLT7. Both felt powerful enough to drive any ski I'd take on a tour up to about 110mm.