Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: TLT7

skinned and skied with TLT6p on one foot and TLT7 on the other. TLT7 skins better, the speed nose with the new pivot point works quite well, and the tongue does not affect that much. As for the ski, it's too early to say. I would only report that on the snow the TLT7 is a bit softer and much more progressive than the TLT6p. But - again - too early to say. Ah, my TLT7 is the white one.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I had both the TLT7P and Procline Carbon Light on today, both in a 27/27.5 (I wear a 27.5 in a green TLT6P for reference). I'd echo alive's comments, adding that the TLT7P fit is a departure from anything they've offered recently in light and fast boots. It's quite relaxed in forefoot width, instep height, and midfoot width (not sure what the reference last was, but it fits much like a Radical CR). I would definitely size down to a 26.5. The liner seems like a very slightly modified CL liner from the TLT6, though the tongue puts a band of pressure on your shin at the top - Ross from Salewa NA mentioned that they are tweaking the tongue shape a bit for the production run. Both walk modes are great, but the Procline will blow your mind. The Procline fit is much like the MTN Lab 98mm fit (could be the same, for all I know) - though it seems a little narrower in the heel. Didn't ski either boot as I'd need to do some work to last a few runs on the Procline and I'd be sloshing around in the 27.5 TLT7. Both felt powerful enough to drive any ski I'd take on a tour up to about 110mm.
    I usually wear a Black/Orange 27.5 TLT6, had the TLT5, and Green Performance TLT6 in the same size, all were about a 1.25 finger shell fit. I also wear a 27 Alien 1.0, with about a 1 finger shell fit. Tried on both the 26.5 and and 27.5 TLT7 Carbonio. The TLT7 is definitely wider in the forefoot. I did a shell fit on each, the 26.5 was about 3/4 a finger behind the heel, the 27.5 was 1.25 fingers. I tried to squeeze into the 26.5 with the liner in, liner out and already on my foot, etc. Could not get my foot in the boot. 27.5 with the liner felt like the boot I should be skiing in. Even though it's a little wider than I'm used to and I might need to replace the liner with something a little more substantial after packing out there is no way I could fit my foot in a 26.5. For reference I wear a 10.5-11 size street shoe, but one foot is a little longer. Widest part of my foot is just over 4 inches.

Good info. Can you speak at all on the flex of the Carbinio compared to the TLT6P?

Sounds like we have very similarly-sized feet, though mine might be a few mm wider. I wear a 26 Vulcan with a <10 mm shell fit, but I'm not sure I could squeeze into a 26 in the TLT6. Maybe these in a 27 would work...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Good info. Can you speak at all on the flex of the Carbinio compared to the TLT6P?

Sounds like we have very similarly-sized feet, though mine might be a few mm wider. I wear a 26 Vulcan with a <10 mm shell fit, but I'm not sure I could squeeze into a 26 in the TLT6. Maybe these in a 27 would work...
    I usually ski the TLT6P sans tongue. Carbonio felt similar in flex, maybe slightly softer and a bit more progressive, however didn't have the booster straps installed, which I do run on my black/orange TLT6P.

Hmm...so the TLT7 is slightly softer than the TLT6P without the tongue? Was definitely hoping the opposite. Thanks for the valuable info.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I didn't think so. I thought it was about the same as a TLT6P with the tongue, but a smoother flex. I can see how someone would rate it as softer not skiing it, since the TLT7 lacks the initial harshness of the 6 that almost immediately breaks down to mush through the ROM.

I demand a ski-off using custom 196 Billy Goats, P18 cranked to the max, and TLT7 from the summit of Rainier or the Grand Teton.

aka, guess I'll have to try them myself. Just trying to get a rough idea of whether it's worth seeking out a pair of Carbonios or not.

photos

No experience with the carboninos but I'd be happy with a pair of the standard 7 performance (grey).

If stiff is what you are after the Arc'teryx Procline Carbon is what you should look at

Procline Carbon is def of interest. So is the Fischer Travers and Scarpa F1 Evo. But the reality is that I'll probably just use the Vulcans as my only touring boot for another few seasons. Thanks for the input, guys.

photos

Can't remember... why'd you back off from the Backlands?

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Procline Carbon is def of interest. So is the Fischer Travers and Scarpa F1 Evo. But the reality is that I'll probably just use the Vulcans as my only touring boot for another few seasons. Thanks for the input, guys.
    Procline Carbon isn't really in the same weight class though. ~200 grams heavier per foot. I'm sure they skin and ski nice, but you're still lifting almost 1/2 a lb extra every step you take. I tried on the Fischer Traverse, sweet boot but don't think it's going to be stiffer than a TLT6P.

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    Procline Carbon isn't really in the same weight class though. ~200 grams heavier per foot.
    I weighed production versions of the Procline Carbon with the heavier "Support" liner and the new F1 this week. (There is a lighter liner available for the Procline Series)

Procline Carbon Support 26.5 = 1166 grams per boot
    Scarpa F1 26.5 = 1227 grams per boot
    Dynafit TLT7 Expedition 26.5 = 1115 grams per boot

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to wear the Procline Carbon or TLT7 Expedition in a 26.5, so a more realistic comparison would be:

Arc'teryx Procline Carbon Support 27.5 = 1291 grams
    Dynafit TLT7 EXP 27.5 = 1145 grams

No TLT7 Performance or Carbonios yet to weigh . . .

I'll grab the weight of the Performance and Carbonio if I get a chance.

I weighed production versions of the Procline Carbon with the heavier "Support" liner and the new F1 this week. (There is a lighter liner available for the Procline Series)

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to wear the Procline Carbon or TLT7 Expedition in a 26.5, so a more realistic comparison would be:

Thanks. That's good info.

Something odd here no???

Procline 26.5 to 27.5 = 125 g
    Tlt7 26.5 to 27.5 = 30 grams??

Procline Carbon isn't really in the same weight class though. ~200 grams heavier per foot. I'm sure they skin and ski nice, but you're still lifting almost 1/2 a lb extra every step you take. I tried on the Fischer Traverse, sweet boot but don't think it's going to be stiffer than a TLT6P.
    I take back what I said about the Fischers, brought a pair home and carpet flexed them. I have PW Plug liners in the TLT6P with a diamond cutout to allow them to walk decently. The orange/black TLT6Ps have half a season on them and are by no means beat. The Fischers feel stiffer. This is sans tongues in the TLT6P. The TLT6s have some play before you start flexing into them, on the other hand the Fischers flex very evenly and are pretty damn progressive.

I think I will probably go with the Fischers, they walk amazingly well, light at 1075 grams and accept a crampon with no adapter. Currently have the 27.5s and they feel good out of the box, might try the 26.5s to see how they feel. If the length works I'll probably just punch them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Something odd here no???
    Procline 26.5 to 27.5 = 125 g
    Tlt7 26.5 to 27.5 = 30 grams??
    Not as odd as when you weigh two lengths of a given ski and the shorter one is heavier, which also happens. We pull a boot out of the box, take the paper wad out of the toe, and weigh it (always the same scale). That's what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Can't remember... why'd you back off from the Backlands?
    Heel pocket was too large.

photos

Flexing the TLT7 EXP in the shop felt noticeably softer than the Scarpa F1's and it just felt like the plastic was folding over and bunching up when flexing. All the straps and buckles were annoying and it seemed like only 29.5 are available when I need a 29. I went with the Scarpa F1. Fit my foot better, and simple to use with gloves on in the field.

I usually wear a Black/Orange 27.5 TLT6, had the TLT5, and Green Performance TLT6 in the same size, all were about a 1.25 finger shell fit. I also wear a 27 Alien 1.0, with about a 1 finger shell fit. Tried on both the 26.5 and and 27.5 TLT7 Carbonio. The TLT7 is definitely wider in the forefoot. I did a shell fit on each, the 26.5 was about 3/4 a finger behind the heel, the 27.5 was 1.25 fingers. I tried to squeeze into the 26.5 with the liner in, liner out and already on my foot, etc. Could not get my foot in the boot. 27.5 with the liner felt like the boot I should be skiing in. Even though it's a little wider than I'm used to and I might need to replace the liner with something a little more substantial after packing out there is no way I could fit my foot in a 26.5. For reference I wear a 10.5-11 size street shoe, but one foot is a little longer. Widest part of my foot is just over 4 inches.
    JTrue, I take back what I said about sizing down to a 26.5 in the TLT7. While the 27.5 feels pretty roomy, I can barely get my foot into the 26.5 and I don't believe I'd be able to make it fit even with a full arsenal of bootfitting tools at my disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeezeBall View Post
    only 29.5 are available when I need a 29.
    Aren't these exactly the same?

photos

And the right shop would likely swap liners in the 29/29.5 shell to make the sale.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Typically no shop will pre-order both whole and half sizes - they only will have both in stock late in the season when they buy closeouts.

At any rate, I doubt there is any difference in the liners between the whole and half versions (they felt exactly the same in the TLT6, Mercury and Vulcan to me). That's what the white fiber shim in the box was for.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeezeBall View Post
    Flexing the TLT7 EXP in the shop felt noticeably softer than the Scarpa F1's and it just felt like the plastic was folding over and bunching up when flexing. All the straps and buckles were annoying and it seemed like only 29.5 are available when I need a 29. I went with the Scarpa F1. Fit my foot better, and simple to use with gloves on in the field.
    29 TLT7 = 29.5 TLT 7 with a different sticker on the front. Same shell, same liner.

Scarpa F1 is stiffer, and heavier, than a TLT7 (performance, or expedition). This makes it a great boot for bigger guys (like myself) who can carry an extra 100g per foot, or those who have not or don't want to try and figure out how light boots ski.

weighed 29.0 tlt7 performance (with the CL liner) in the store = 1145 grams
    my 29.0 tlt6 performance (no tongue, carbon, CL liner, previous season green model) = 1233 grams

= 88 gram/ 3oz diff per boot

I was a little disappointed since I was salivating at pre-release press coverage that made it seem like difference would be more like 7-8oz/boot, but I guess I should have realized that weight comparison would be overblown, and would have included tongues on the 6.

bsl on 29.0 tlt 7 was 313 compared to 317 for the 29.0 tlt 6

I imagine 4mm difference might make it tricky to remount a non-adjustable race or speed superlight type of binding without interfering with old holes, anyone heard of any experience with that?