Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: TLT7

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    XXX-er, can you compare the Mercury to the Vulcan? My Merc sans tongue is a guiver of one for me, but I am a relative meadow skipper.
    I just did the same switch from much loved Mercury to Vulcan... It's a very pleasant improvement in performance, no downside that I can see. They ski the same, just stiffer, better.

Plus I always secretly loathed that the Mercurys were white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Because they made so many that folks are getting them for $400.
    Actualy when any mfger of any product announces a model change it instantly becomes last years gear, its no longer the latest greatest

The Vulcan was pretty much the same for 3 years but when Dynafit announced the Khion last spring that was the clue to upgrade and so yeah there were new boots at 65% off but those are all gone by now

I have still seen deals on slightly used Vulcans that didn't fit the buyer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    XXX-er, can you compare the Mercury to the Vulcan? My Merc sans tongue is a guiver of one for me, but I am a relative meadow skipper.
    I didn't often ski the Merc on the down without the tongue, I found it a really nice boot that fit me out of the box ( with a better liner) and drove any ski, I took the power strap off and I may use it at the hill but never touring

The Vulcan must be 20% stiffer , a lot of people ski it without the tongue and while it is stiff enough to do that, I like the Vulcan better with tongue for reasons hard to explain but its something about being more upright which I find is better for skiing & also find less tiring

also with the latest Vulcan you got 2 different removable cuff stops or you can even leave them out which I havent tried

the great thing was knowing the boot would fit, I took them out of the box, swapped liners and went touring

they are supposed to be the same boot but when I swapped the Power wraps from Merc to Vulcan they seemed JUST a very little bit tighter cuz I am already on the last ladder positions on all the buckles so there was no where to go but wait for the liners to pack a little which they did

So no down sides ... pretty happy with the outcome

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Thank Atomic for that.
    not really, thank USD/Euro exchange rate...

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
    My understanding is that there are mens and womens 7s, but no variations within the 7 like the 6 has now.
    The link in the OP had Carbonadio (sp?), Expedition, and Performance variations. But the link is apparently dead now, so maybe it was just speculation...?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    The link in the OP had Carbonadio (sp?), Expedition, and Performance variations. But the link is apparently dead now, so maybe it was just speculation...?
    I am just saying what will be in North America for next season. Not necessarily what will be in existence. And of course I could have missed something. But I had a pretty extensive look at the catalog.

Which one is in the N Amer market? Perf?

Yes, I believe it was the performance. $850 with some carbon, though not a full carbon cuff like current perf.

I don't recall seeing anything called carbonadio or expedition.

More info:
    http://www.friflyt.no/Ski/Naa-kommer-TLT-7

Translated from Norwegian:
    According to a press release from Dynafit the boot weighs just above 1 kg - 1010 grams - without them specifying which size this is. For a comparison the lightest edition of the predecessor TLT 6 weighs 1210 grams (size not specified).

The more freeride oriented and popular models Vulcan and Mercury goes out of production next year, and will be replaced by the Khions, which came this season.

Simplified:

TLT 7 gets and brand new shell with a more "clean" design than its predecessor. Even though the weight is low, Dynafit reports that the shell is both reinforced and "rougher" for better skiing, with fiberglass reinforcements at the most exposed points. At the same time all the "unnecessary things" have been removed, to give the boot a simpler and cleaner design. New toe construction moves the rotation point further back, which improves touring/makes touring lighter.

The boot also has new inserts, which are supposed to be more rigid and easier to use, and also work well with bindings with a DIN up to 16 - like the Dynafit Beast.

As before the top buckle serves multiple purposes: both changing between walk and ski mode, opening and closing the boot + adjustments.

(The rest of the article is about the new helmet)
    Last edited by MariusM; 01-06-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Chatted with a guy at Crystal last weekend who was skiing the Arc'teryx Procline boot.. he was enthused. Very enthused.

It did look really, really sweet.

Shade of orange that's nearly red too.

where are you guys seeing vulcans for $400?

I suspect a lot of people who bought the new black TLT6 in the past 1-2 months are gonna be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by jegsmith View Post
    where are you guys seeing vulcans for $400?
    The previous model was being unloaded last summer/fall for about that price. Telemark Pyrenees was especially good $ I think.

yup you had to be looking as soon as the Khion was announced and possibly take an off size I got mine for 335, seen a lightly used pair for 250 probably cuz the instep didn't work for lots of people ... try going used.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusM View Post
    More info:
    http://www.friflyt.no/Ski/Naa-kommer-TLT-7

The boot also has new inserts, which are supposed to be more rigid and easier to use, and also work well with bindings with a DIN up to 16 - like the Dynafit Beast.
    I can see this a the crossover point where the big meat hucking high DIN crowd puts on the spandex, throw on the light boots, locks into the beasts and runs up the skin track on their 160 Trab noodles.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Has anyone had a chance to ski in these?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Has anyone had a chance to ski in these?
    first yurp rumors say softer than tlt6p. but hey it's 3rd hand

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    first yurp rumors say softer than tlt6p. but hey it's 3rd hand
    Yeah, I like the removable tongue design on the 5 and 6. They hiked great without the tongue and skied great with it. Plus they were easy to fit with the low volume and until recently grilamid for punching. I think the green 6 was the sweet spot. Why the hell did Dynafit discontinue it?

So, no optional tongue on the TLT7, and discontinuing the Vulcan? Time to search for backups.

I tried on a pair of TLT7 just to test the walk mode. The non-removable tongue is a bummer. Not as nice walking as tlt5 without toungue.

I can see that they went for simplicity, but they might have innovated past usefulness on this round. They did drop weight though.

I also took a run on the Arcteryx boot. It's the shit. Walk mode will blow your mind. Skied a little soft, but had the best flex rebound of any light boot I've tried. In general I thought they ripped. I didn't try them in 3d snow, but was launching off everything in sight to test. Only weight 160 though.
    Last edited by JRainey; 09-02-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Meh, someone needs to tell Dynafit that the single buckle/walk mode might be great for the ski-mo crowd and racing, but is just a pain in the ass for touring on variable snow, and side hills.

Until they fix that other options will be more attractive. Hopefully Scarpa gets the manual walk mode F1evo to NA next year. Also the various Amer options. I'm glad Dynafit is no longer the only game in town.

Why no love for the single buckle/walk mode, XD? You can close the buckle without engaging ski mode when u need more support. And I have never forgotten to engage ski mode before my run with this buckle like I have in the past.

How do you close the buckle without locking it into ski mode (aside from a mod)?

It is also obnoxious to get open closed unless the cuff and spine are line up perfectly, as well as require excess torque to close it for not that snug a fit. YMMV. In contrast the backland is much smoother for me to operate. Both in terms of in and out of ski mode (honestly faster than TLT6) and to get the desired tension in the cuff.

I think Lou had the original idea. All you need is a short length of 5mil cord tied through the buckle. If you don't want to engage ski mode but close the buckle, you put the loop around the prong between the buckle and the boot which allows the buckle to close but not engage ski mode. It's as simple a mod as you can get.

I haven't kept up with all the new technology though - new family and all that entails.