Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: TLT7

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    29 TLT7 = 29.5 TLT 7 with a different sticker on the front. Same shell, same liner.

Scarpa F1 is stiffer, and heavier, than a TLT7 (performance, or expedition). This makes it a great boot for bigger guys (like myself) who can carry an extra 100g per foot, or those who have not or don't want to try and figure out how light boots ski.
    I assumed 29.5 had a different liner than the 29. Guess Scarpa's narrower boot just fit my feet better.

Interwebs said TLT7 have a flex of 110 while F1 are 90. That's why I was surprised to see the opposite.

Know this is a TLT7 thread, but just got my first day on the Fischer Travers. These things feel like slippers, have incredible ROM, and are a good bit stiffer on the down than the TLT-6 with no tongues. Also weigh about 200 grams less. I've always used Intuitions, but the Palau liners work really well in these boots. I have a higher instep so most tongue liners put too much pressure on my instep, these are the exception. TIme will tell how these hold up to abuse but so far so good.

^^Good stuff. Can you comment on the fit? Your feet a few mm longer and narrower than mine. Tried on a few light touring boots recently, but haven't been to a shop with the Travers.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Good stuff. Can you comment on the fit? Your feet a few mm longer and narrower than mine. Tried on a few light touring boots recently, but haven't been to a shop with the Travers.
    Feel similar in width to Black/Orange TLT-6, maybe slighly wider, but could be because of the liner. Have about 4 days on these and they are legit. Got them into some suncrusted snow and they were just ok, but anything in this weight class is going to be tough to ski in variable snow. Everything else they rip on. No hot spots or blisters after a couple 5k days. Currently skiing a 115 waisted Surface Live Life, will switch to BD Carbon Converts once we get some more coverage.

-Jason

Thanks! They just jumped to the top of the list.

Which size are you in and what's the shell fit? The info you provided below gives me a really good idea of your feet compared to mine, and will help me decide which to try if I have to order online.

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    I usually wear a Black/Orange 27.5 TLT6, had the TLT5, and Green Performance TLT6 in the same size, all were about a 1.25 finger shell fit. I also wear a 27 Alien 1.0, with about a 1 finger shell fit. Tried on both the 26.5 and and 27.5 TLT7 Carbonio. The TLT7 is definitely wider in the forefoot. I did a shell fit on each, the 26.5 was about 3/4 a finger behind the heel, the 27.5 was 1.25 fingers. I tried to squeeze into the 26.5 with the liner in, liner out and already on my foot, etc. Could not get my foot in the boot. 27.5 with the liner felt like the boot I should be skiing in. Even though it's a little wider than I'm used to and I might need to replace the liner with something a little more substantial after packing out there is no way I could fit my foot in a 26.5. For reference I wear a 10.5-11 size street shoe, but one foot is a little longer. Widest part of my foot is just over 4 inches.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Thanks! They just jumped to the top of the list.

Which size are you in and what's the shell fit? The info you provided below gives me a really good idea of your feet compared to mine, and will help me decide which to try if I have to order online.
    I'm in a 27.5, 1.25-1.5 ish finger shell fit depending on foot, one foot is longer.

Adding stream of consciousness from another thread.

For me Procline fit like the TLT6 and TLT5. My feet are mid volume, wide at forefoot. No arch. Ie generic Azn foot. I'm 27 in Vulcan, TLT5, TLT6, F1, Maestrale (liners cooked. No punches) 26 in Tecnica, Mtn Lab, Backland (but all of them need fairly generous punches at toe).

Sidenote is that I swim in the TLT7 and Backland.

TLT7

Yeah, the TLT7 is actually comfortable for me. The TLT6 wasn't a good fit even after punching. Very different last. The Scarpa F1 probably has the best heel hold. Vulcan death grip on me. Most painful boot I've ever had on my foot by far. You skinny ankle people will probably love it.

I've parallel tried TLT7 performance and Procline with lite liner in store. TLT7 seem wider, more space at the toes and stiffer 10 - 20%!

Any more feedback on the newest lightweight breed of boots? I am back and forth about going all in on the TLT7P or Carbon Travers.

Quote Originally Posted by maaurz View Post
    Any more feedback on the newest lightweight breed of boots? I am back and forth about going all in on the TLT7P or Carbon Travers.
    So far pretty happy with my Carbon Travers, I did snap off the boa, but it was my fault for thrashing through bushes on an exit. Lean lock lever could have a slightly deeper indentation as I've had to clear snow out to get it to latch, but overall great boot.

Quote Originally Posted by hnnaum View Post
    I've parallel tried TLT7 performance and Procline with lite liner in store. TLT7 seem wider, more space at the toes and stiffer 10 - 20%!
    Procline carbon I assume?

Carbon version of course..

I didn't read most/all of this thread so I apologize if this has already been hashed out:

I just demoed some TLT7Ps and put ~4500' human-powered vert on em tonight. This boot confuses and annoys me. The lower buckle is annoying as hell to fasten, the velcro thing on the liner is fucking stupid, the pull on the power strap is fucking stupid. The double upper buckle mechanism is... it feels like a way to compromise between "the upper buckle is also the ski/walk mechanism" and "they are separate" but it's the worst of both worlds - it is easy to accidentally open both levers, then your bottom buckle comes undone.

It doesn't fit my feet (no indictment of the boot here though) but it does ski quite well. I skied it on much shorter/skinnier skis than I ever did with my TLT6P so it's unfair to directly compare, but my hunch is it's in the ballpark of a no-booster-strap-but-tongue-in TLT6P, maybe a touch softer. Plenty of boot for me. It walks... also quite well, although this too somehow annoyed me. It walked notably better than my TLT6P did, but it has strange resistance points when flexing backward (lead foot in a long stride). Anyway I guess I was hoping for a little more revelatory ROM but it was still very good. Also it was surprisingly warm especially for a boot that didn't fit quite right, it was veerrrrry cold tonight and my toes only got can-be-fixed-by-wiggling-them cold.

I can see it being the absolute dream boot if you have a foot that shape, and if that were me, I would forgive its other faults. For the weight and ROM it skis damn well, but what the fuck was going on when they made these buckle/strap/velcro decisions? In fairness to the TLT7P, it stepped into unhelpful Plum race toes very intuitively. I didn't notice the toe welt providing more stride length but maybe it was. Is the carbonio version noticeably stiffer?

Edit: in terms of fit, this boot was short in the big toe for a 27.5 and wide in the forefoot, imo. Heel hold was adequate when the black buckle was open and the yellow buckle (and thus the lower buckle) "closed" but I managed to misalign the stars here a time or two. It bootpacked pretty well too.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Edit: in terms of fit, this boot was short in the big toe for a 27.5 and wide in the forefoot, imo. Heel hold was adequate when the black buckle was open and the yellow buckle (and thus the lower buckle) "closed" but I managed to misalign the stars here a time or two. It bootpacked pretty well too.
    I've just ordered a pair of TLT7 Carbonios I found at good price to hopefully replace my Aliens. Can you comment on the range of motion in walk mode a little more? Like, is it just suited to quick touring or could it be used to race?

I'm doing the PdG next April, did the short race last time and have a place on the full one now. The Aliens are obviously awesome uphill and running but I found them pretty terrible downhill and had a fairly big wipeout on the ice coming into Verbier.

Also any idea if all the TLT7s come with the power strap so you can put it on if you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Finsternis View Post
    I've just ordered a pair of TLT7 Carbonios I found at good price to hopefully replace my Aliens. Can you comment on the range of motion in walk mode a little more? Like, is it just suited to quick touring or could it be used to race?

I'm doing the PdG next April, did the short race last time and have a place on the full one now. The Aliens are obviously awesome uphill and running but I found them pretty terrible downhill and had a fairly big wipeout on the ice coming into Verbier.

Also any idea if all the TLT7s come with the power strap so you can put it on if you like?
    Good luck with those.

One pair I know of around here have been warranty repaired once for broken cable and now returned for refund after complete and catastrophic failure of boot shell at the pivot mechanism at Achilles heel.

I wouldn't go near a pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

" This is probably not news to you but we just discovered that the new ‘snub nose’ Dynafit boots will not work in the Vipec or Tecton bindings "

from over at wildsnow ^^ is this true, if so it seems like a pretty stupid idea to me ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Finsternis View Post

The walk ROM is good but not nearly as good as my Fischer Carbon Travers, and I suspect even those give up a bit to a true race boot (I’ve never used one so can’t really say)

They do have a built in booster strap so I think swapping that for a Booster should be reasonably easy

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    " This is probably not news to you but we just discovered that the new ‘snub nose’ Dynafit boots will not work in the Vipec or Tecton bindings "

from over at wildsnow ^^ is this true, if so it seems like a pretty stupid idea to me ?
    Correct. They also won't work with Shift or with Kingpin

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the advice. The boots are nice and will definitely be better for the downhill but I think the range of motion will be a dealbreaker. The difference in mobility coming from the Aliens is pretty huge, it's really the tongue in down the front that makes the difference and I can't flex my ankle as far. Just trying to work out what effect it'll have on my skinning.

The reliability issues mentioned don't sound ideal either.

Regardless of the published numbers, is the general consensus that the Scarpa F1s are significantly stiffer than the TLT7s? Certainly felt that way walking around the shop in them today.

Posting my experience with the TLT7's.
    Previously I wore 2014 Scarpa Maestrale and 2016 Scott Orbit's.
    Scarpa's (6.8 lbs.) are great ski boot - but have a limited ROM for real ski touring.
    Scott's (6 lbs.) were good ski boot but walk mode is not the greatest.

I have 20 days on my TLT7's and I think they are FANTASTIC.
    I have hard to fit feet with a narrow heel and wide toe box - these fit great out of the box.
    I practiced putting them on and off in my living room. Once I figured out the buckle system it is extremely simple to use in the field.
    There are 3 modes.
    Mode 1 - Fully buckled for ski mode.
    The top buckle is really 2 levers for adjusting the cuff and switching to tour mode.
    Mode 2 - Flip the first lever and it switches to walk mode with good range of motion. It also loosens the bottom buckle a slight bit.
    You can tour in this mode and most people will be satisfied with this mode. I found it to be better than my Scarpa's and Scott's in this mode.
    Mode 3 - if you flip open the second lever on the top buckle - it further loosens the cuff and the lower buckle. I found this to be very comfortable and offer even more ROM when touring. Yes - this loosens the lower buckle so much that the cable can pop off. To prevent the cable from popping off in this mode - you can play with adjustment mechanism to find the right tension (do this is a warm living room). Even if the lower cable pops off - I can continue to walk or tour just fine.
    Final opinion after 20 days:
    1. Ski mode is great for an expert skier. Intermediates might want more 'beef' for downhill performance.
    2. Touring mode is incredible. Super light, super comfy, no blisters, 20% faster going uphill.
    3. Transitions are super easy - flip the first lever, flip the second lever, done.
    With practice I learned to do this without raising my pants.
    My friends have to pull up their pants, adjust strap, buckles, and levers, and adjust their gaiters.
    4. Hiking and climbing with crampons is great. I use the Dynafit adapter for my automatic crampons.
    5. Durability. So far so good - the buckles look and feel as new. The velcro strap on the liner is fraying - I will address that or maybe cut them off all together.

I've skied these about 50 days so far. I've noticed some pretty heavy wear on the back of the cuff on the metal plate that holds the boot in ski mode. It's to the extent that the screws look almost corroded. Has anyone else observed this?

Hi there, I just bought a pair of Women's Dynafit TLT7 Expedition CR boots last fall, & have toured in them several times. The first time I used them, the rear buckles kept popping out, when I switched from "tour mode" to "ski mode," with the slightest forward pressure. This happened with BOTH boots. They would then pop back in if I leaned back a little, only to pop out again as soon as I pressured the front of the boots while skiing downhill, or even just standing in place & flexing my knees.
    Upon examination, when I got home, I realized I could remove the forward lean plate on the boots (between the cuff & the spoiler), using a star drive drill, & reverse the lean plates, thereby slightly increasing the forward lean in "ski mode." This solved the issue for a while. But yesterday it started happening again, with just one boot.
    I took the lean plate out when I got home, & put it in the other boot. Sure enough, the other boot started popping out. I can only deduce the forward lean plate is the issue. Perhaps this was a poorly engineered batch of lean plates?
    I called Dynafit & described the issue. They are going to send me 2 new lean plates ASAP, I will put them in my boots & see if the problem goes away.
    When the boots work, they work great. Comfortable for touring, and easy to ski on the downhills in a variety of conditions. However, I am wondering if the "metal plate that holds the boot in ski mode," as GoSlowGoFar describes, is indeed a weak design feature? Perhaps all the torque of forward lean while skiing causes the plate to wear unevenly, and causes buckle to pop out...?
    Stay tuned, I guess...I'll report back after I receive the new plates. Has anyone else had an issue with the rear buckle popping out when they are in ski mode?

Update...still popping the rear buckle out, when I am in ski mode on the Dynafit TLT7 Expeditions. Waiting for the new lean plates to arrive to see if that solves the issue. But in the meantime, is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just putting too much torque on the front of my boots when I lean into them?