Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: TLT7

I'm trying to figure out if I can put more length in a tlt7 boot shell, and I'm hoping experienced owners can help me. My sister just bought a cheap pair of tlt7 and it fits her well in width/volume, but the shell is short, and she can feel the front of the boot even sitting down.

One weird thing I found: There is a tab of foam that sticks up in front of the toes. Has anyone just cut that out and did it help with length of the boot? Here's a picture of looking into the boot from the cuff and you can see the white foam sewn into the boot in front of the toes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3527.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	805.7 KB 
ID:	317261

Another options is a boot punch of course. How much room can you punch in front of the big and second toe given that the shell is probably thin grillamid of a touring boot? I'd really appreciate your experience with this issue! Thanks!

My guess is that your sister bought the smallest size TLT7 that is made. Frequently ski companies keep the same boot shell for the smallest two sizes and just take up some space inside the shell of the smallest size.

https://skimo.co/dynafit-tlt7-womens
    Here the BSL lengths are the same for a 22.5 and 23.5, if her boots are a 22.5 then it seems pretty clear that's what's going on.
    Last edited by John_B; 02-24-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks, John_B, for the link! The wildsnow review of the tlt7 had listed the smallest 22.5 size as it's own shell size, but the link you posted suggests that's incorrect. That makes sense, and I'm going to try to cut away the foam and see if that's enough length for my sister's foot.

Does anybody know how much you could stretch out the toe on the tlt7? I've seen people punch out the toe of alpine boots a full centimeter, but I'm guessing that's too far for the thin grillamid of a lightweight touring boot.

Good find by John_B. Take out that white foam first, but I’ve punched two different spots in my TLT 5s, (which is same material). Maybe not a full centimeter...but close. I had a really good boot fitter do it that used one of those laser temperature sensors to get it exactly at the right temperature for stretching.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

If anyone is looking for the TLT 7 in small sizes (23, 24), Sierra Trading has them for $199. Check their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by jindustry View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if I can put more length in a tlt7 boot shell, and I'm hoping experienced owners can help me. My sister just bought a cheap pair of tlt7 and it fits her well in width/volume, but the shell is short, and she can feel the front of the boot even sitting down.

One weird thing I found: There is a tab of foam that sticks up in front of the toes. Has anyone just cut that out and did it help with length of the boot? Here's a picture of looking into the boot from the cuff and you can see the white foam sewn into the boot in front of the toes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3527.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	805.7 KB 
ID:	317261

Another options is a boot punch of course. How much room can you punch in front of the big and second toe given that the shell is probably thin grillamid of a touring boot? I'd really appreciate your experience with this issue! Thanks!
    Gotta do a rewind here ...

Have you pulled the liner and checked checked the shell fit?

Sitting down tells you nothing (forces toes forward). Are the liners unmolded?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-25-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by jindustry View Post
    Thanks, John_B, for the link! The wildsnow review of the tlt7 had listed the smallest 22.5 size as it's own shell size, but the link you posted suggests that's incorrect. That makes sense, and I'm going to try to cut away the foam and see if that's enough length for my sister's foot.

Does anybody know how much you could stretch out the toe on the tlt7? I've seen people punch out the toe of alpine boots a full centimeter, but I'm guessing that's too far for the thin grillamid of a lightweight touring boot.
    Because they don't sell many of that size and it's expensive to make a new boot mold, it's very common for small boots to have a "toe dam" to take up length without changing the mold.

Typically grilamid takes a decent punch and if she's not worried about putting them into frame bindings, she can likely get quite a bit of room in the toes.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Thanks for your feedback, plugboots, auvgeek, galibier_numero_un. Super helpful. My sister is going to exchange the boots for the next size up without the toe dam and possibly a little more length in the liner.

If anyone wants a 22.5 tlt7 for $199 before we return, let me know!

I just hope that weird cable from the upper to the lower buckle lasts!