Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Nice, Phil. I know how you're always evaluating the snow there every trip up the telepherique waiting for that perfect day. Way to go!

Phil, what goes through your mind on a descent like that? From start to finish are you thinking "this is much fun" or "i better not fall"? I'd imagine you focus on each section when you get to it and stays pretty serious...but your trip reports are so la-tee-da walk in the park that it made me wonder.

Congratulations.

FKN-Whoa

Damn, that looks fun! Sickness all around.

Nice work. Looks like the snow was nice neve with some softness to it.

That is seriously fucked up. SICK!!! How do you even do that? That line must have one of the worst exposures I've ever seen.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Nice work Phil.
    I watched some dude ski the Mallory last April- very sketchy turns w/ multiple raps- nice to see the Aiguille getting skied in good style.
    Nowhere near as dangerous as the apres ski scene though.

Thumbs up

Having seen most of this descent with my own eyes (from the comfort and safety of the tram) I have to say this is a monumental accomplishment.
    Way to FREAK, boys!!

TR's at their finest. pure sickness.
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

Balls. Big Balls.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Thumbs up

beyond the beyond

woooh.

GNAR³ !
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Awesome!

A geez, guys, thanks for all the props, careful though or I’ll go getting all big headed.

Some replies.
    Boon – It’s pretty much on a par with the Mallory. In the guide book Baud says that it is steeper but I think that is only in the case where there is enough snow to be able to ski some of the sections we abseiled.
    Sierra Cement – We caught the tram up. One of the dangers of skiing this and the Mallory is that taking the tram up means that you don’t know the conditions in the couloir until you ski them. Of course you could climb it but…
    Splat – You are right; I have been waiting for three years for this to come into condition.
    SkiJunky05 – mostly I am thinking with great precision where I am going to put my skis on the next turn, concentrating on every bit of feedback they give me so that I can correct any issues like hitting a rock or patch of ice. Then when I stop to take pics or wait for my partner to make turns (you never both ski at the same time on something like this) I enjoy the situation, and the view and think about how lucky I am to get to be in places like this, where nothing else matters.

Having a guy like Phil around here means never having to put up with the "Brits can't ski" bollocks.

Way to get after it.
    Last edited by bad_roo; 06-30-2005 at 06:25 AM.

Goddammit, where's that OxyClean?

Note to self: wear Depends when clicking on Phil's TRs.

it's always a good idea to do a search on threads started by you. but let me guess something, it wasn't sebastièn's idea to take 2 ropes...

edit: which doesn't mean that i wouldn't think it's a good idea...
    Last edited by greg; 06-30-2005 at 06:25 AM.

^ summer bump

Nice! somehow I missed this one first time around. that is damn impressive.

Bump.

Two of my very good friends skied this line on the 2nd of May. First or maybe second Finnish descent (from what I've gathered)?

I guess Eugster was in very very good conditions this year (or still is, maybe?).

But I am still amazed (and a bit scared) & also very glad (for them) of that run. The guys have been doing a serious 2 weeks (but "only" two weeks) spring trip to Cham every year now for some years (4-5?) upping the ante every time. Last year they skied the Ouest couloir, now this.

Anyway, the guys said that they've been inspecting Flingle's site/photos very carefully for some time... And of course also the Baud's book about the routes.

(At the same time I was tele-skiing some mellow fells in Sweden with the family...decisions, decisions. And yeah I am a wussy... )
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

i was living in cham over summer and climbed the north face, which is technical enough in places.

super props for going down on planks man, that's some serious gnar

This is off the charts sick. The otter body can blow this line. Good fucking work man.

Didn't Idris ski this line a couple of days ago?

Mind blowing for sure.

oh ha. got a link hicks?

That is a rad line!

CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    What he said.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra