Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Aigulle du Midi North Face - TR

Today Seb and I skied the North Face of the Aiguille du Midi by the Eugster couloir. First skied in June 1977 by Laurent Giacomini. It hasnt had any descents yet this year and didnt have any last year.

Seb near the top with the Aiguille du Midi cable car cables right overhead.

Seb at the point where the Eugster and the Mallory part ways. We head down on the skiers left while the Mallory goes over the half moon behind Seb

As the couloir drops into shadow down on my left there is a 30m abseil. We found a good rock to abseil off.

The couloir opened up a bit after the first big abseil. The next abseil is at the bottom of this snow field where there is a small sunny half moon windlip on the left.

And after a final abseil there were sweet turns to be had all the way to the rimay.

There are more pics here

Phil

sweetness

loved the lighting in this one...

FKNA
    talk about gnar and exposure!!
    ski or die
    glad you didn't die.

Thumbs up

That's awesome. Great pics.

North Face of the Aiguille? Hot Damn. Great TR, as always.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

the mind boggles.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!!!!!!

I don't even know how to respond to this...

...off the sickter scale for sure

Thumbs up

i am speechless with crapped pants.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

That is an incredibly impressive descent. Congratulations. Any descent that hasn't been done in Cham for 2 years (and it involves no hiking) is very, very impressive.

For me, that would be probably the most memorable descent of my entire ski 'career'. Wow. Nice work!

sickter mcrickter--and all his cousins too.
    The Griz

As always, another humbling TR from philingle. Man that rocks.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Errrr...Wow....at last after how many years of looking at line on that face! .....Flingle takes it up another notch!.....going beyond what most can dream...
    Knowledge is Powder

yeeehaw! good tr's all around lately.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Flingle ....

is a very bad man.

CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! CAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    CAW!

NOW THIS IS A TR. Makes the stuff we ski and write about here in the Wasatch seem tame. Nice score. It's good to finally hit a line that you've looked at and thought about for a long time, and with good snow is a bonus!
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

wow!

nice line!

ps. what's a abseil?
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

rappel

"In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Intense. Fingle, is this line more technical than the Mallory?

awesome, as always, Phil. Thank you for sharing - much respect, man.
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

drop it like its hot! North face of the aguille is like the final test for your extreme skier certification.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Thumbs up

Hell yeah!!! I always look forward to your TRs and pics Phil! Don't stop, keep 'em coming.

Riding over that numerous times in the tram and imagining people skiing it with the exposure, rappel's etc is mind blowing. Way more hardcore than anything I have seen on this side of the pond. Serious props. Thanks for sharing.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Way to not die!

Totally on another level!

Did you climb it, or take the tram up? I would have loved to have seen the expressions on the faces of the tram riders as they passed over you.

I like the caption for this one...."Finally the Exit"

Please keep 'em coming. Your TR's rock!