Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    44s was off the hook. The Bug Jar in Rochester had some good shows.

Stoney's in State college pa.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Reading the Bloom County cartoons on the wall waiting, peeling your feet off the "carpet", the urine room, Was a good place for some solid drinking.

Miss the Chickenbone Cafe more.

Biggest loss of all is The Alchemist. Fuck Irene! Only 4 years but seems much longer.

Here to post the Chickenbone when I saw your post. Also, worked at Finnegan's for 4 of my 5 years of college. That was a fun place.

Buelah's Fantails in Fredrickstead. Anyone ever have one?

The Barbary coast in Frenchtown, St. Thomas. Remember the Barbaric? We would leave the house at 1 am on the east end to go there, home at sunrise…

Players Tavern, Westport, ct. in the 70's anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Luke's in downtown Missoula. Eclectic mix of loggers, bikers, and nubile college co-eds. Some crazy shit happened there. Closed in the late 80's, long before Creepy Fossil/Uncle Crud moved in from New Jersey and declared he was the last person to move there that was cool.
    The Top Hat alternative in my day. Is Stockmans still open selling "Liquor Up Front, Poker In The Rear" t-shirts?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    La Boheme on Phinney Ridge was another favorite watering hole.
    Yup. Imperial pints and great Christmas and Halloween parties, We were still living in Ballard down on 63rd and used to walk up the hill.

It's now Sully's Snow Goose. The building has continuously housed one of the oldest bars in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    44s in Syracuse. What a scene in the early 90s.
    That was the Generic previously. 44s was fun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Was at both of those shows. Were you there for Phish when they had Popper on stage hidden under a blanket?
    No missed Phish unfortunately....

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The Top Hat alternative in my day. Is Stockmans still open selling "Liquor Up Front, Poker In The Rear" t-shirts?
    Seems like there were a lot of Stockman's bars in Montana. Got hammered in a Stockman's in Butte one time.
    Don’t give up until.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Seems like there were a lot of Stockman's bars in Montana. Got hammered in a Stockman's in Butte one time.
    Yup, they were an early chain café/bar.

Looks like yes:

The Vous, College Park, MD.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    How about The Cellar?

You had to wear your Vous shoes because of the Vous goo.

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/fro...db8d45d10.html

I was only there a few times but that place was out of hand.

Georgetown around 1980 was full of bars that no longer exist and I hung out or worked in most of them. The Crazy Horse, Winston's, Desperado's, The Saloon, Poseur's (formerly I think Old Mac's), Charing Cross, The Guards, The Pig (real name: Au Pied Du Cochon), Nathan's, The Cellar Door, Hamburger Hamlet (met my wife in there), The Bayou, Chadwick's, etc. etc.

Rednecks, Marines and College Kids made for a volatile mix sometimes, especially for the few years when the DC drinking age was 18 and Maryland and Virginia were 21. A couple places are still there, Martin's, J. Paul's, Clyde's, the Saloon is now a jazz bar called "Saloun" for some reason, but it's nothing like it was down there.

I worked at a great place, The Wax Museum, which was one of the biggest clubs in the country, we could get 2500 people in there. National acts all the time, everybody from the Ramones to Stevie Ray to P-Funk and everything in between. Shame that place went away.
    Last edited by iceman; 12-20-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Wetlands was legitimate. Phish, traveler , radiators, spin doctors, panic, many more from the early 80's to close.

Don't get me started on steamboat bars....

Wasn't Robert Randolph kind of the house band in there?

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    No missed Phish unfortunately....
    Had to check my memory, and as to be expected given the times, I was off on the venue, kinda. I did make it to the aftershow. Just needed a little refresher on the Popper sheet show. God damn I feel old now.

http://phish.net/reviews/archive/shows/02-06-93.html

http://phishcoventry.blogspot.com/20...-roseland.html

I DJed there for 5 years - '86 to '91. Supposedly the second largest non-stadium consumer of Budweiser beer on the EC after the Button in Lauderdale, and we could only fit ~400 people in the bar. Owner had the local FD, ABC, and Sewage inspectors on his "payroll." We would hose that place out every night right into the storm drains. Budweiser Pitchers were $2.50, and $1 of that was the deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettostyle View Post
    How about The Cellar?
    Fuck the Cellar. Only the Jersey and LI guidos went there. The Attic was OK depending on who was playing. 'Vous, Santa Fe, and Bentley's FTW. Town Hall was pretty good too but too far away from most dorms/apartments.

The Bird House bar in Bird Creek, Ak

Burned down in 1996. Place had tons of character....bras tacked on the ceiling left by braless donors...the obligatory cash stapled to the walls (similar to the Salty Dawg in Homer) . People would mistake it for a biker bar in the summer, for all the bikes parked out front...but they would be remiss of the fact that it was much more than that.

I know that it's been partly rebuilt inside Chilkoot Charlie's in Spenard but its more of a tourist display there. The guy that owns Charlie's had a soft spot for the Bird, I guess.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Leimgrubers in Telluride. If someone at the table ordered a Boot, it was game over for me. had my own mug and lived across the street for a while.
    Oy oy oy!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    The daughter owns it now. If by upscale you mean they actually mop the floor once every 24 hours, then yes. She put in a real nice lunch menu so lunchtime is a bit upscale, but nighttime is pretty much the same. When she took it over from her Dad she promised to make minimal changes, and she has been true to her word.
    The Top Hat was only owned by Steve's daughter for a short time. She then sold it to a guy named Nick, who remodeled it. I loved the old TH and spent many, many nights there, but the new version is better. It has good food, better sound, the same bar, and the drinks are still reasonable, all things considered. The owners, staff, and management are all great, and the music they book is ridiculous for a 600-person venue in Missoula.

About a year ago, the same Nick bought the Wilma and completely refurbished it. It is by far the best ~1200-person music venue I have ever been in. He dropped over a million into the sound system alone, and the floor now has four levels instead of a pain in the ass slope that allowed beer cans to roll down and spill everywhere. The music he books here is also insane for a town like Missoula.

This "gentrification" is fine with me, especially because it probably pisses off creaky fossil to no end. Anyways, I am sure Steve and the rest of the Garr family would approve. Plus, Charlie's is still at the other end of Higgins, same as it always was. Stockmen's is still there too, now a frat bar (actually it has been for decades) and the best place to go if you want to get roofied.

Never considered myself much of a barfly but I've been to an amazing amount of these joints.

A few more from Grand County, USA

Slade's Underground

The Slope

The Waconda in Grand Lake

Not a barfly? Dude you're named after a bar!

Pretty decent one too.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I was a regular there in high school. Knew all the bouncers and bartenders. I was very underaged, but it didn't matter. They quickly stopped asking for my crappy fake. I used to carry an old Nikon F1 and pretend to take photos from the front row. A lot of bands got their start there :blues traveler, spin doctors, God street wine, etc.

One night I completely freaked out at 3 am when I came out and found my mom's car gone. Turns out they towed the whole block and relocated the cars a couple over.

I also miss the kaltenberg castle and 8150 in Vail.
    Pretty funny- spent a ton of time there myself. Grew up w the guys in bt and chris Barron and tomo as well. My older brother played hockey with trey-
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Not a barfly? Dude you're named after a bar!

Pretty decent one too.
    Seven Springs? Yeah, great apres bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Yup. Imperial pints and great Christmas and Halloween parties, We were still living in Ballard down on 63rd and used to walk up the hill.

It's now Sully's Snow Goose. The building has continuously housed one of the oldest bars in Seattle.
    Damn, I'm glad someone remembers that place. Had a friend who tended bar there, which is how I got introduced to it. Glad to hear it is still a bar. Cool building.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin