Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Try throwing an intuition pro wrap in the xtd.

I toured for 50 days with stock then went to pro wrap.

Love it. Truely a do it all boot. Kudos to Jon @ intuition in YVR for the liner fit. It makes a difference in chop and steeper stiff lines. You don't feel the bend in the pivot and forefoot.

Love it, as it is my one boot for touring and resort on hojis with mtns, Ren's with mtns, and gotamas with wardens for resort. Have also skied with my spare Ren's with shifts and pilsner hojis with fts.

Liner makes the boot a do all. I don't even notice the penalty on uphill flexion until you go beyond 1800m very per day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMTN19 View Post
    Try throwing an intuition pro wrap in the xtd.

I toured for 50 days with stock then went to pro wrap.

Love it. Truely a do it all boot. Kudos to Jon @ intuition in YVR for the liner fit. It makes a difference in chop and steeper stiff lines. You don't feel the bend in the pivot and forefoot.

Love it, as it is my one boot for touring and resort on hojis with mtns, Ren's with mtns, and gotamas with wardens for resort. Have also skied with my spare Ren's with shifts and pilsner hojis with fts.

Liner makes the boot a do all. I don't even notice the penalty on uphill flexion until you go beyond 1800m very per day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Definitely get Intuitions in the XTD 130s.. I have the Tour Wrap setup by Tom @ Intuition (is there also a Jon there? Only ever seen Tom doing fit work). Definitely a huge step up in ski performance from the stock liner. How's the Pro Wrap for touring? I went Tour Wrap for that reason, first wrap style liner and I am impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I have a bunch of days on my 2020 Hojis now (187cm, mounted with Shifts at rec line) and am pretty damn impressed. As I said earlier in this thread, I had the Pilsner Hojis with Radical ST 1.0's for touring previously (complimented by black/blue Renegades with Guardians and Cochise with STH916)... The Shifts have made a night & day improvement in how the Hojis ski, feels like an alpine binding on the downs, and the combined lighter weight of the newer Hojis/Shifts is pretty sweet. They are OK in chop/variable, definitely not as stout as my old Renegade/Guardian setup, but in pow they are ninja weapons. Skied very deep snow on Whistler this weekend and they felt as agile as the Renegades, just not as powerful.

Very happy with them as a single do-it-all setup with Atomic Hawx XTD 130 boots.
    I am putting together this exact setup right now. Trying to decide on mount. Would you still go recommended after putting in a bunch of days on them or anything you would change?

Quote Originally Posted by ElToroPequeño View Post
    I am putting together this exact setup right now. Trying to decide on mount. Would you still go recommended after putting in a bunch of days on them or anything you would change?
    I debated mounting them a bit back but after talking with my bootfitter/tech he convinced me to just try mounted and move them back if need be... honestly they ski fine at mounted, including in pow and I am a decent size guy for 187's (5'10" 210lbs). The rocker/profile floats nice in deep snow and they feel great on hardpack/groomers at that mount point. The one thing I haven't skied much of yet is wet/heavy pow though. I don't plan on changing the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I debated mounting them a bit back but after talking with my bootfitter/tech he convinced me to just try mounted and move them back if need be... honestly they ski fine at mounted, including in pow and I am a decent size guy for 187's (5'10" 210lbs). The rocker/profile floats nice in deep snow and they feel great on hardpack/groomers at that mount point. The one thing I haven't skied much of yet is wet/heavy pow though. I don't plan on changing the mount.
    Awesome! Appreciate the advice.

are the hojis 2:1 edge base bevel?
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    are the hojis 2:1 edge base bevel?
    4frnt web support chat told me 1/1 on all their skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    4frnt web support chat told me 1/1 on all their skis.
    even better. thanks.
    swing your fucking sword.

new hoji users/purchasers? not sure when all the cool industry folks on here got on them, or if anyone has actually, redesigned it seems, bunch of buzzwords i don't get, hows it feels. tweener sizes for me :/ 184/191 wish it was still 187, do these types of skis ski short?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    new hoji users/purchasers? not sure when all the cool industry folks on here got on them, or if anyone has actually, redesigned it seems, bunch of buzzwords i don't get, hows it feels. tweener sizes for me :/ 184/191 wish it was still 187, do these types of skis ski short?
    Was on the 19/20 187s and love the way they skied. Opted for the 184 on the new one based on their support guidance
    ..they haven't shipped yet but I'll update once I've used them...my older 187 might be up for grabs soon if that helps any

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

So I have a pair of 2016 hoji in a 195 cm that I love, and which I've used as my inbounds DD for a while now. They're beat up and so I'm thinking about replacing them. If I'm understanding people on this thread correctly, people seem to think that the more recent (i.e. lighter) iterations of the Hoji ski pretty similar to the older, heavier versions? Does that remain true for inbounds duty? Given that they've shaved ~300 g/ski, that sounds crazy. And yes, I am bummed that they've cut the 195 cm length for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    My new Hojis showed up today. Did a quick side by side of the 19/20 - 187s. Overall they are just a little bit shorter. The rise in the tip and tail looks to be a bit more. Guessing that they will ski a little shorter but not much. The shape looks exciting too, more side cut.....the 4lock hole for the skins is going to be great.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I’ve got 4-5 days on the new 191 and I’ve spent the last 2 seasons on the 19/20 195. The new version skis pretty different, the old version was very pivoty and liked to be turned from underfoot. The new, lower rocker feels a bit more conventional and skis much longer as you’d expect. I like the new version for edging through chop and they ski fresh well especially lower angle. The older version was a lot more playful and easier to slash. I much prefer the 195’s in steep terrain. I think I’ll play with the edge angles a bit on the 191’s, might be able to loosen the up a bit when needed but keep the more powerful characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stopper View Post
    I’ve got 4-5 days on the new 191 and I’ve spent the last 2 seasons on the 19/20 195. The new version skis pretty different, the old version was very pivoty and liked to be turned from underfoot. The new, lower rocker feels a bit more conventional and skis much longer as you’d expect. I like the new version for edging through chop and they ski fresh well especially lower angle. The older version was a lot more playful and easier to slash. I much prefer the 195’s in steep terrain. I think I’ll play with the edge angles a bit on the 191’s, might be able to loosen the up a bit when needed but keep the more powerful characteristics.
    Interesting, I've got 2 days on my new-to-me 187s thinking that if I like them a lot I might try to get the new 184. I haven't quite gotten used to the pivoting underfoot. I find you really have to stay in that balance sweet spot on them and if you do it rewards you mightly.

Why do you think you like the old ones for the steeps more?

Just got some 2016 187s. They’re mounted on the line and love a lot of the way they ski. However, I find they can dive and not resurface if you drive the tip. I also find it weird landing drops as the tail feels like it wants to push me forward and go otb.

I’m thinking -2cm would be ideal. Anyone tried that successfully? 24.5 boots

I think I like the older model in steeps because how easy they are to get sideways and they seem to pop better from turn to turn. Very easy to throw in a drift when need be. The 195’s also have a lot of edge hold once you lean them over but generally easier to get off edge. The older version seems to struggle most at charging through not as steep terrain with decent bumps thrown in. Once you get tossed around it’s harder to get back on that sweet spot.

All mine are mounted at -2 but I’m on a bigger boot at 29.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stopper View Post
    I think I like the older model in steeps because how easy they are to get sideways and they seem to pop better from turn to turn. Very easy to throw in a drift when need be. The 195’s also have a lot of edge hold once you lean them over but generally easier to get off edge. The older version seems to struggle most at charging through not as steep terrain with decent bumps thrown in. Once you get tossed around it’s harder to get back on that sweet spot.

All mine are mounted at -2 but I’m on a bigger boot at 29.
    I'm mounted at -1.5cm for a 26.5 boot. Basically I'm -.25-.5cm behind Hoji's toe piece position based on his 284mm BSL. I like them there, but agreed, getting tossed out of the sweet spot is my big struggle with them when trying to link up a double or something. I don't know how Hoji does it on those pillow lines.

That’s because you’re skis aren’t mounted where they should be. Half of the design of Hoji’s skis is based on the progressive mount. I’m a super fan boy of all the hoji designs, has made me reconsider how all my other skis are mounted, for instance the rc112 and head monsters I have are now mounted +3/4 of recommended. But the design requires you to rethink how you ski. Stay centered, the tail is there for recovery, if you ski fast the tips won’t ever sink.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    That’s because you’re skis aren’t mounted where they should be. Half of the design of Hoji’s skis is based on the progressive mount. I’m a super fan boy of all the hoji designs, has made me reconsider how all my other skis are mounted, for instance the rc112 and head monsters I have are now mounted +3/4 of recommended. But the design requires you to rethink how you ski. Stay centered, the tail is there for recovery, if you ski fast the tips won’t ever sink.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Huh? I'm mounted only .25-.5cm back than rec according to this post: http://mtnguiding.com/media/2017/1/4...adesravens-too

I agree with the rest of your statement though. You really just have to stay in a balanced neutral position at all times. It's actually harder than pressuring your shins and driving the ski IMO. You have to actively return to center rather than being able to drive forward on the skis to compensate for the bumps in the terrain. It's a cool feeling, but it certainly isn't effortless.

I’m going to go ahead and disagree.

Pressuring your shins to drive a ski does yield more surface area on your body— and hence requires less muscle. But it also requires a larger, and more vague, contact area between ski and snow.

Smaller sweet spots do require more effort. But once the groove is on, it can become less of a power show and more of a ballet. More finesse and less muscle.

There is no right way. The best thing to do as a skier is learn how to drive a ski from a variety of input points.

I don’t think I even knew how to drive a ski from the base until I skied a reverse camber. And then that skill transferred over to my heavy camber skis and a whole new world opened up.

“So this is what downhill racers do.”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I always felt that was less a function of small sweet spot and more a function of full reverse and that wonderfully muted shape. But agreed on the eye opening of steering/driving a ski from the center rather than just pushing on the shovels.

I will say that skiing them exclusively for a few years lets you forget how to do other stuff that’s also important.
    focus.

Review: 4frnt hoji

I wasn’t saying it was harder on the muscles, I was just saying that it takes much more precision in your balance, you can’t be as much of a brute or use strength to save your ass when you’re off balance.

How are folks liking their 21/22 Hoji's, I'm mounting mine so checking the mount points ya'll went with and how your liking them?

I had the previous 187 version mounted 1cm back with a 305 bsl and loved the ski as a daily driver. I was planning to mount the new iteration with shifts as a dedicated touring ski ~ 1 CM back on 184 model with a 302 bsl but the recommended boot center already looks ~ 1 CM back from Hoji's instructions (5cm back from true center and ~ 1cm back for every 2cm of bsl over 284). Guessing I'll go on the line.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

New hoji is really good, way better of an everyday ski than the previous gen.
    Has the hoji feel, but can lay down a carve, bump through moguls, jump around. It’s light on your feet and doesn’t smash through chop like heavier skis, but it’s tons of fun.

Hey guys!

After years of wanting to get a pair since the early development, I just purchased the 21/22 Hoji's 177cm. I wanted to go with the 184s but they were long sold out and the only options were the 177s or 191s.

I am exactly 177cm tall but way lighter than average at 65 kg (143lbs). However I am a very advanced skier and I like to charge really fast big mountain lines with cliff drops but also ski trees and forests where short turns are mandatory. So freeride focused with occasional resort off piste.

I am coming from the Liberty Helix 105 which I skied extensively for the last 5 years as my only ski, which skies well in resort, but in big mountain lines it sometimes feels clunky and not that responsive, with the edge catching the snow a lot of times when turning and throws me off balance. In tight trees it's almost like I'm forcing it to turn.. very demanding and not fun at all.

4FRNT team recommended told me that I should definitely go for the 177 given the info provided, but I keep hearing that the Hoji's ski quite short, and now I'm worried I didn't make the right decision to go with the 177... Would my lightweight balance out the shorter length? What do you guys think?