La Sportiva Spectre durability

I'm looking hard at the La Sportiva Spectres as my first AT boot, but I've seen some reviews (I think on backcountry.com) that had some serious durability issues. I won't be spending 100 days a year in them, but I'd like them to hold up, regardless. Anyone have experience, good or bad?

This is only my first season on them, so I can't offer much personal experience regarding long-term longevity, but they seem to be average best that I can tell. They certainly aren't featherweight and fragile, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as old solid-as-a-brick Garmonts either. Old Garmonts are were heavy as bricks though. Pick your poison. Spectres are the lightest in their class, so all the removed material will have some effect down the road.

Personal Observations: Spectre seems to have a very solid lean-lock system (although the lever itself is potentially a weak spot), soles are appropriately thick and solid, buckles ride high on top of the foot so they should be relatively well protected when booting. I wouldn't be too concerned about general fragility. Sportiva has worthless warranty support though. They'll tell you to piss off for any and every possible reason. Save your original receipt, make sure you buy from authorized dealer, or you're gonna be on your own. And don't hit yourself in the foot with a hatchet.

FYI i had a hell of a time fitting mine. Took several visits to the bootfitter and think I still need one last visit. They're hell for anyone with a high instep or prominent malleolus bones (e.g. me on both counts).

The biggest durability has been buckles breaking, during their second season of use. La Sportiva is good at sending replacements. If you search back through my old posts you can see pictures/review.

As a low-instep person I love the Spectre, love how it fits, love how it skis, love how it goes uphill. The buckles are obviously an exercise in maximizing minimalism, and should be treated as such. Leave the hamfist at home.

Had mine for a season- maybe 25 full days and 25 short tours. Kind of a guess.

So far no issues. My impression is that they are not going to be all that durable, but I can't really base that on anything. Probably just how light they are. As of now, no undue wear on anything,

As far as fit: The original model has a low instep. Subsequent models have a higher instep. (Maybe they make both?- Both were available last year). My feet are happy in Skookums/Denalis- unhappy in Mastraeles. Pretty happy in Spectres- One instep is a bit snug- I removed a buck "temporarily" with the intention of stretching it. Been skiing with three buckles since.

I love these boots. I just drove to the local closed hill in my boots and did a quick lap.

The Spectres have fit me better than any other AT boot I've tried on, so my only worry was them falling apart after a season or two. Sounds like I might bust a buckle here or there but they'll hold up for at least a few seasons. Thanks for the input.

I've got around 40 days on mine. Broke one buckle but probably my fault for letting it flop around open. Both my tongues have cracked. La Sportiva has been good with warranty but both tongues in 40 days does not inspire much confidence. The soft rubber on the sole is likely great for scrambling on rock but does not stand up well if you use a sled for access.

Quote Originally Posted by SUMMITX View Post
    Both my tongues have cracked.
    That was my biggest worry after seeing how they flexed when you stand all of the way back in walk mode. I ended up scoring a pair of Dalbello Sherpas hella cheap. They feel considerably better constructed than the Spectres (which accounts for them being a few hundred grams heavier, I guess.)

I have just over 100 days on mine. The normal buckle issues, inner and outer cuff pivots are super sloppy, both tongues are cracked at flex point, as well as various other breakdowns. Some folks, myself included have big inner ankle bone issues.

Short Bootsole length is nice and they are light and stiff enough they just need to be updated.

I would not buy again.

Everyone I know loves the Scarpa Maestrale RS. Also there are a lot of options out there these days...

Quote Originally Posted by hball View Post
    Some folks, myself included have big inner ankle bone issues.
    Everyone I know loves the Scarpa Maestrale RS. Also there are a lot of options out there these days...
    Find a solution for the ankle/malleolus pressure? I've put some thick stick-on foam on the outside of my liners that makes them bearable for a day of touring. But certainly not enjoyable.

Low instep, weight and ROM sold me on mine. I had them for two years and broke a buckle and had some walk mode lever issues. Sportiva sent me a used buckle that was in serviceable condition as a replacement and I never complained about the walk mode lever issues. I ended up ditching them because while the fit was really good for the living room and ice climbing, it was still quite painful to ski in after 5 trips to the boot fitter and frankly, they're just not that stiff. Bumped up to the Mercury with an intuition pro tongue liner and while the fit isn't quite as perfect, I have zero pain, have not had to endure one boot fitting session, have all the beef I need to drive anything from Hannibal 100s to 192 GPOs and they are only 20g heavier per boot. Done and done. Not looking back.
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

I gave up on my Spectres after 1.5 seasons - say 40 days. No wear problems and they tour/walk great. However they really are not stiff and I found this annoying when I needed it! Switched to Mtn Labs and been happy so far - they tour and ski well.