Thread: St Thomas

St Thomas

Headed down to St Thomas for a week in mid Feb. Renting a condo near Red Hook. Really want to chase some fish on the fly. I know Feb isnt the best time for bones and permits. Any advice on guides or diy,? Im all ears.

This guy is annoying, has an example of a shirt no man under 50 should wear, don't like his fly selection, says tight lines but doesn't practice it, but some useful information. Most of what I have hit in the Caribbean came on a gold clouser or a popper. I'd pay close attention to what he says in the video about the docks lighting up at night. You need to fish there, at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH4CWxVHnB8

This is BVI, but the land/water looks very similar. Much better casters/action, here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKYkQPlPBQ

And then there's this...

http://diybonefishing.com/

If you've never done saltwater, it would pay to hire a guide the first day, if you can handle that. I'd rather break a few fish off than listen to someone coach me through a fish fight in tropical paradise. If you have the gear, just bring it. Maybe try to rent a kayak to help yourself out. Don't forget to fish into that dock at night, preferably from a kayak or paddleboard. You won't regret it.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Make sure you take the ferry over to St John and spend some time there. You won't want to go back to ST Thomas.

St Thomas

Yeah you really fucked up by staying on st thomas instead of st john or the bvis. Change your hotel now and spend a little bit more money to be on St. John

I was just at St. Thomas. I did not do any fly or deep sea fishing. But I did find great wave's at Hull Bay. There's an awesome bar right at the beach. The owner has a couple boards for rent. Wave's rolled in like corduroy, chest to head high! Definitely take the ferry to St. John.. Totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Yeah you really fucked up by staying on st thomas instead of st john or the bvis. Change your hotel now and spend a little bit more money to be on St. John
    Here's a tip: don't take location advice from someone that has chosen to live in Boulder.

Not terrible advice. St Thomas is a shithole compared to st J which is smaller, more expensive and exclusive, probably more good fishing outfitters avaliable on St
    T. But the beaches just don't compare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Alright. Thank you ladies. Yeah the woman wanted: warm, snorkeling, good beaches. Hopefully I can find something to take my fly. Were definitely spending a day or three on St Johns

Yes, the BVI's & St J are nicer. But some of the resorts on St. Thomas are nice, especially for a quickie.

My youngest's middle name is Thomas.

Stomp, will you have a car to take to st. John? If so let me know and I'll tune you into a Couple amazing snorkeling spots on the east side
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Go to jvd bvi if you want nice

The BVI had tons of Tarpon in many areas when I was there. They would flock to the stern lights on the big boats and fairly easy on the fly. I believe this was in July so things might be totally different during the rest of the year but I imagine there are resident fish.