Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are you PRO SNOW? (yes this is about climate change)

I just got back from ‪COP 21, the UN climate summit in Paris, and while there are plenty of worthy reasons to care about climate change, there's a big one all of us obviously care about the most -- so consider signing on to the I AM PRO SNOW letter: https://www.climaterealityproject.or...ro-snow-letter

Also here are two articles I wrote about skiing and climate change.

Wasatch warnings from SLC Mayor Ralph Becker: http://backcountrymagazine.com/stori...summit-update/

East Coast reality check c/o Powder Magazine's Porter Fox: http://www.skitheeast.net/why-east-c...mmit-in-paris/

Its snowing where I am. We call it weather, happens every year about this time.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Thanks for this Greg. Bushman, you are right - that is weather. Now take the time to learn what climate is.

I'm sad that this way of life I've come to love is going to end, but a timely response of sufficient magnitude seems unlikely: http://www.crossofthemoment.com/

Political forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Political forum.
    Climate change is about science, not politics. Anyone who makes it political has to try very specifically to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by gscruggs View Post
    I just got back from ‪COP 21, the UN climate summit in Paris,
    Wow, you must be tired. That's a long walk/swim. I assume you didn't take one of those Earth destroying jumbo jets spewing gobs of evil CO2.

BTW, did you come up with any "solutions" to your "problem" that didn't involve taxing the shit out of the rest of us that stayed home?

Are you PRO SNOW? (yes this is about climate change)

Quote Originally Posted by roadgap View Post
    Climate change is about science, not politics. Anyone who makes it political has to try very specifically to do so.
    I'm no denier-> but this is not exactly normal science either. The studies are available but none of the data has been made public. That is not how science works.

Also the few scientists who have raised questions about methods get shunned, shredded and ultimately defunded.

Edit- Judith Curry is a great example. She supports climate change but said climatologists should be more accommodating of skeptics questioning the consensus. That got her kicked out of the tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesmith7 View Post
    Wow, you must be tired. That's a long walk/swim. I assume you didn't take one of those Earth destroying jumbo jets spewing gobs of evil CO2.

BTW, did you come up with any "solutions" to your "problem" that didn't involve taxing the shit out of the rest of us that stayed home?
    BTW2, who paid for your trip?

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I'm no denier-> but this is not exactly normal science either. The studies are available but none of the data has been made public. That is not how science works.

Also the few scientists who have raised questions about methods get shunned, shredded and ultimately defunded.

Edit- Judith Curry is a great example. She supports climate change but said climatologists should be more accommodating of skeptics questioning the consensus. That got her kicked out of the tribe.
    Gee, you sure sound like a denier. And I have a rule about debating deniers. I don't do it because they're irrelevant in 2015 and it's not a good use of my limited time on this earth. There, I already crossed too far over the line. Have a good day.

Lots of derpity derp in this thread.

Thankfully, there isn't nearly as much in Paris. Based on the coverage I've read, things are going potentially better than expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Gee, you sure sound like a denier. And I have a rule about debating deniers. I don't do it because they're irrelevant in 2015 and it's not a good use of my limited time on this earth. There, I already crossed too far over the line. Have a good day.
    Like I said this ^^^ is not how science works

Like I said this ^^^ is not how science works
    X2. He's using abnegation, not science.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    X2. He's using abnegation, not science.
    I'm just refusing to get involved in a useless, idiotic debate against a fringe viewpoint that is continually shrinking and will be completely gone very soon. If people want to seriously look at the science, last I checked NASA had a website, go nuts.

I'm just refusing to get involved in a useless, idiotic debate against a fringe viewpoint that is continually shrinking and will be completely gone very soon. If people want to seriously look at the science, last I checked NASA had a website, go nuts.
    I in no way question the scientific consensus -> I do however think the echo chamber hampers progress.

I in no way question the scientific consensus -> I do however think the echo chamber hampers progress.
    I think if you're gonna start ranking culprits in terms of hampering progress, the 'echo chamber' sits a long way down the list. Luckily it's being proven that progress is moving forward despite the squawking of the silly fringe in one country. Maybe it would have been good to have them convinced 20 years ago, at this point they really don't matter anymore.

I was not ranking culprits I only said the circle jerk hampered progress.

I'm not pro snow. That stuff can kill you.

What echo chamber? This is just denier bullshit that you are taking as truth.

From the California Governor's Office of Planning and Research https://www.opr.ca.gov/s_commondenierarguments.php#j :
    "“Dissenting scientists are stifled and can’t publish their research.”

"There is no evidence to support this either. All research goes through a peer review process in which it is evaluated for quality and relevance by other experts. Research that doesn’t pass muster is sent back to the author to be corrected and improved. Research that is not published does not meet the standards of good science."

In fact it is the other way around. Climate deniers are paid to produce "research" saying climate change isn't happening. See Willie Soon and the $1.25 million he received from Exxon-Mobil and others to produce documents that said climate change was caused by the sun, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/us...Soon.html?_r=0
    "The documents shed light on the role of scientists like Dr. Soon in fostering public debate over whether human activity is causing global warming. The vast majority of experts have concluded that it is and that greenhouse emissions pose long-term risks to civilization.

"Historians and sociologists of science say that since the tobacco wars of the 1960s, corporations trying to block legislation that hurts their interests have employed a strategy of creating the appearance of scientific doubt, usually with the help of ostensibly independent researchers who accept industry funding.

"Fossil-fuel interests have followed this approach for years, but the mechanics of their activities remained largely hidden.

'“The whole doubt-mongering strategy relies on creating the impression of scientific debate,” said Naomi Oreskes, a historian of science at Harvard University and the co-author of “Merchants of Doubt,” a book about such campaigns. “Willie Soon is playing a role in a certain kind of political theater.”."

Soon couldn't get traditional funding for real science because he wasn't doing real science.

As for the science and data, it is all over the web. Try reading the IPCC reports, or the websites of NOAA, NASA, or check out a book such as ire Predictions, 2nd Edition: Understanding Climate Change by Michael Mann.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesmith7 View Post

This is the most ridiculous of the deniers claims, that if you take climate change seriously you can't fly on planes, drive cars, live in a house, wear clothes, etc. If you read the OP's articles, he states he bought carbon offsets to offset the emissions of his flights.

Addressing climate change doesn't mean stopping living modern life, it means changing from burning fossil fuels to using clean renewable energy and other changes to cut our carbon footprint while still progressing and growing our economy.

Lots of conservatives are concerned about climate change, too. Check out republicen.org if you are interested. They say that the free market can solve climate change while growing our economy.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    What echo chamber? This is just denier bullshit that you are taking as truth.
    I mentioned Judith Curry above-- she is FAR from a denier

Quote Originally Posted by gscruggs View Post
    Wasatch warnings from SLC Mayor Ralph Becker: http://backcountrymagazine.com/stori...summit-update/
    Ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    {Tommy Kuhn's claim to fame}
    Better ask Karl Popper about that.

Lots of conservatives are concerned about climate change, too. Check out republicen.org if you are interested. They say that the free market can solve climate change while growing our economy.
    Synthesized weekly in a repackaged format by Ron Bailey.

This is the most ridiculous of the deniers claims, that if you take climate change seriously you can't fly on planes, drive cars, live in a house, wear clothes, etc. If you read the OP's articles, he states he bought carbon offsets to offset the emissions of his flights.

Addressing climate change doesn't mean stopping living modern life, it means changing from burning fossil fuels to using clean renewable energy and other changes to cut our carbon footprint while still progressing and growing our economy.

Well then, all is well in the universe, as we all know Carbon Offsets are totally legit and fraud free!