Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Casual Waterproof Boots

I know there are like 8 threads on the subject, but it seems a bunch of you only post in the PR and all the threads are all in tech talk. Maybe we can start another thread to bitch to the mods to move those. In the spirit of slaag, I have taped my bunghole so slam away.

Both of these had great info, especially the second.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...n-winter-boots
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...e-casual-shoes

I'm looking for a waterproof boot to wear to class and out to the bars and such. They also need to be durable enough that they're not going to fall apart by the end of winter from my daily bike commute. Waterproof is a must, insulation would be nice but not necessary. Not that it seems to be an issue for most brands, but needs to be available in a men's 7 or 7.5.

Things I have been interested in include:
    Pajar Trooper. I think they look rad but there are ton of reviews say they are of poor quality and Pajar does not stand behind their product. Also the waterproofness was brought into question. Thinking I am going to stay away based on review. Anyone have recent experience to the contrary with Pajar?

Timberland Schazzberg. Have also read several reviews about questionable durability which is surprising because I have always assumed Timberland makes a solid product. Also curious about how wide this fit because I have a narrow heel and don't like my foot to slide around. All the dealers in Bozeman only carry work boots so I am reserving judgment until I am able to try these on back east.

Palldium Pampa Sport Cuff WPN. Seems like a great option. Of those of you that sing the merits of Palladium, anyone have this specific pair and care to comment on how warm they are?

Things I'm not interested in: Full on workboots and tactical boots, not my style whatsoever. Slip on boots. I'm sure there are plenty of blundstone lovers out there, but I'm not interested. Arctic Ready insulated boots, they need to keep my feet dry and warm for the 15 minutes I'm on my bike or while I walk from one bar to the next, I don't need something that is rated for all day hunting or sledding in the snow.

Also, post up your $400+ wonder boots but as a broke student, $200 is already a stretch for footwear. If I can get these to last the next two or three winters I will be happy, I can look through ice's end of life purchases when capital is a bit more readily available.

You can't really go wrong with LLBean, especially considering their customer service and return policy. I have these ones I got for christmas last year, they're nice: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80571...hearling-lined but they have a ton of other ones: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50679...ots&nav=gnro-0

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You can't really go wrong with LLBean, especially considering their customer service and return policy. I have these ones I got for christmas last year, they're nice: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80571...hearling-lined but they have a ton of other ones: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50679...ots&nav=gnro-0
    That's what I was going to post too.

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    it seems a bunch of you only post in the PR
    That is as it should be. Let me know when you find a good pair of boots. That comes in 4E. And costs next to nothing. I need new boots.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Bozone has a REI, head down there and try some stuff on. Plenty of stuff in the 1 to 200 range, plus check out their outlet online.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Duck boots make my feet sweat like a mofo. Never liked them for that sole reason.

I have a pair of Northface Gore-tex hikers for winter. They've lasted me 10 years at least. Worth the $150 I spent on them on sale at REI.

OP - check out www.zappos.com Best prices on the web for shoes, No tax & free shipping.

I have a pair of the brown version of these: http://www.rei.com/product/888098/ke...ter-boots-mens (Note that the one star review appears solely because they're not made in the USA.)

I've been happy with them, but they're not an everyday shoe for me so YMMV. May not be warm enough for MT, but they've worked for my uses in the Tahoe area. You may also not want a pull-on. That was important to me. I've been deliberately easy on the pulltabs a lot of the time because I had a pair of Keen boots 7-8 years ago with defective tabs that came unstitched in the first week or two (returned to REI, where they said it was the whole batch). But these have lasted a lot longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Waterproof Wellingtons. Been enjoying them as a boot that is moderately warm, waterproof, easy to slip off and on, and doesn't make my feet as sweaty as pack boots that for me are outside only attire.

Might not work super great if you are wearing your girlfriends skinny jeans though.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"

tractor supply
    watch out for snakes

The real question is do they accentuate your sweet man bun and skinny jeans?

Double H ICE sole.

http://www.doublehboots.com/Category...20Boots&page=1

You are in MT after all.

Guess some of you are waiting for the cowboy look to make a comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    OP - check out www.zappos.com Best prices on the web for shoes, No tax & free shipping.
    Zappos does not have the best prices. They acknowledge that they don't... in exchange for free shipping & returns. So, if you don't know your size, Zappos is great...otherwise shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    The real question is do they accentuate your sweet man bun and skinny jeans?
    dude, everyone and their brother has a man-bun these days. I'm way too hip for that shit.

I rock a ponytail exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    dude, everyone and their brother has a man-bun these days. I'm way too hip for that shit.

I rock a ponytail exclusively.
    Yea, butt do your jeans accentuate your package. Does it look like you have a rhino tied up in there or do they make you look more like a camel

Traded in polishing my loafers for waxing my doc martens. wear a 3/4 year round pretty much. Jump in the caribou's if it's that deep or i'm doing the digging.

Anything that is not all leather should not be considered a casual shoe. OP, if it needs to be a boot and casual - that will narrow down your choices. Now, lined or unlined?

ETA: http://www.drmartens.com/us/c/Mens-Boots

I have a handicap - they wear like iron. They will take back anything that is busted. You will wear the soles off first.
    Last edited by Gepeto; 12-09-2015 at 02:55 AM.

I bought what is basically the equivalent of these (closest I could find) about 8 years ago. I don't wear them a lot, but they're comfy and show zero signs of letting up. Columbia original omni-heat. They come in a couple different colors.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Zappos does not have the best prices. They acknowledge that they don't... in exchange for free shipping & returns. So, if you don't know your size, Zappos is great...otherwise shop around.
    Oh I have. Bottom line, what's cheaper - $80 + free 2 day shipping (& returns) or $70 + $15 shipping? It's the same when people fly to skiing on something other than Southwest. Sure you saved $100 on the ticket but you're gonna spend $150 on luggage.

Kamik also makes some awesome boots. Some are made in Canada still and dont have the premium of Sorel's. Sorels are still a pretty good option and if you find canadian made ones, they have a better sole.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Are any Sorels still made in Canada? I thought they were all imported now.

Got a pair of Vasque boots a few years ago at REI. Very happy w them, decent drinking boot
    Decisions Decisions

Check out sierra trading post if you're on a budget. Tons of options and if you signup for their emails you should be able to get an additional 30-40% off.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Rossi has some winter boots -- the Rossignol 1907 Chamonix -- that are similar in look to the Pajars but with better build and waterproofing.

Or just check out these winter boots.

If you're interested in anything PM me. I know where you can get a deal.

J-

Mmmm, drinking boot.