East Coast Hard Snow Traditional Ski

After an 18th month stint in Colorado, I moved back to the northeast. With what's looking like a very weak start to the winter, I'm thinking about getting a narrower waisted ski...however I don't want a carver....I just want a damper, traditional ski. The skis that I usually ride and love are: Kastle FX104 and Line Influence 105.

I'd like something in the 85ish waist...can't go as expensive as the Kastle FX84 or anything that expensive. Was thinking that Head Monster 88 or the Blizzard Brahma. Any thoughts are appreciated. Let's hope for snow.

I have a Brahma.

its a good eastern All mountain skis and actually really good in bumps and skied out trees as well. ON extremely firm snow its fine,but not that awesome compared to a true full cambered ski. today and many other day with Sugar piles on top of hardpack I find the tip rocker annoying because when you are getting grip on the hardpack, the tip rocker rides over the sugar causing the ski tip to rise up and the entire skis to lose grip on the hard snow where it had it. The Brahma is not the only ski that does this, and its minor thing but during dry spell there are shit ton of push piles like this.

The solution is a ski with less tip rocker or none at all. The head is supposelly better in this regard and more damp and less lively than the Brahma. After owning a Brahma since the prototype days of it, I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of Blizzard Xpower 8. I tried them and they are quicker to turn once on edge, WAY better on hardpack, and doesnt do the tip riding up in sugar snow like the Brahma does. I am sure the brahma is better for more fun off piste skiing, and I am keeping it, but a real deal Eastern short turn on hardpack is like using a Reverse/Reverse in powder IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    I have a Brahma.

its a good eastern All mountain skis and actually really good in bumps and skied out trees as well. ON extremely firm snow its fine,but not that awesome compared to a true full cambered ski. today and many other day with Sugar piles on top of hardpack I find the tip rocker annoying because when you are getting grip on the hardpack, the tip rocker rides over the sugar causing the ski tip to rise up and the entire skis to lose grip on the hard snow where it had it. The Brahma is not the only ski that does this, and its minor thing but during dry spell there are shit ton of push piles like this.

The solution is a ski with less tip rocker or none at all. The head is supposelly better in this regard and more damp and less lively than the Brahma. After owning a Brahma since the prototype days of it, I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of Blizzard Xpower 8. I tried them and they are quicker to turn once on edge, WAY better on hardpack, and doesnt do the tip riding up in sugar snow like the Brahma does. I am sure the brahma is better for more fun off piste skiing, and I am keeping it, but a real deal Eastern short turn on hardpack is like using a Reverse/Reverse in powder IMO.
    Thanks! Very helpful. That actually makes me think I may get something more on-piste oriented, since I like the 105 width in almost all firm snow...just a little pointless in the conditions we're having this month.

I've enjoyed my 177 Kendos enough that I bought a second pair. IMO it is a great non 3D snow ski. Skis bumps, groomers, and ice very well. All of my former racer friends that have tried it have liked it.

I thought the Blizzard Latigo was everything I wanted the Brahma to be but better. Faster edge to edge with good bite and still very fun off piste. It definitely prefers to be on edge vs. run bases flat more so than the Brahma.

Brahmas are fine and I owned the Bushwacker for two seasons but something about that shape never had the "wow" factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    I thought the Blizzard Latigo was everything I wanted the Brahma to be but better. Faster edge to edge with good bite and still very fun off piste. It definitely prefers to be on edge vs. run bases flat more so than the Brahma.

Brahmas are fine and I owned the Bushwacker for two seasons but something about that shape never had the "wow" factor for me.
    I wonder if the latigo stays down in sugar instead of riding on top of it......

For fun and cheap grab the P/Es for sale in gear swap and ski the shit outa them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

See if you can find a good race or slightly softened race ski on sale or used. The Vokl Race Tiger or the Elan SLX are fun on ice, but, not many other places on the mountain. Perfect for a place like Hunter or early season Vermont.

Brahmas are fine and I owned the Bushwacker for two seasons but something about that shape never had the "wow"
    factor for me.
    Can the latigo rail like a gs ski?, Thinking about a pair for our beer race league. The tail rocker has me worried.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

For dedicated piste ripper: Head iSuperShape Rally. Super fun, lots of energy but easier to ski than a full-on race ski, likes to turn in a variety of shape. Not ideal for bumps and trees.
    For all-around frontside ski: Blizzard Latigo. Gives up performance on ice / hardpack, more lively than damp, but fun everywhere: groomers, bumps, trees.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Those are the sex.

I thought the Blizzard Latigo was everything I wanted the Brahma to be but better. Faster edge to edge with good bite and still very fun off piste.
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I've enjoyed my 177 Kendos enough that I bought a second pair.
    Nice write-ups available on both skis with the Kendo being cheaper by $70 and more positive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    For fun and cheap grab the P/Es for sale in gear swap and ski the shit outa them.
    A little help here; what am I looking for?

Traditional big ski Co. skis work better on the hardpack or worse for good reasons.

Really like atomic's Nomad line and have riddin the Crimson - being the all-round best go anywhere frontside ski I've ever played with. Currently have the 182-4ish blackeye-ti smoke; rides on rails everywhere, but a little to damp. A nice feature if you go the X12 route (integrated binding) instead of buying a flat ski... you can move the mount around to suit the condition and/or your style. Add to that, integrated ski/binding setups are cheaper and somewhat heaver. Kinda nice in hardpark. The Vantage series look like phun too. Would love to try the 90CTI. Lost out on 14/15 vers at a ski swap - suck.

Would like to play with the Kendo for taste.

Going to force 100 under-foot through this years EC season. We'll see.

East Coast Hard Snow Traditional Ski

Here you go.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=297607

~ 85 mm and 19 radius. Wood core and K2 ski a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Can the latigo rail like a gs ski?, Thinking about a pair for our beer race league. The tail rocker has me worried.
    not quite, they are fun on groomers but in my mind what is great about them is how capable they are off piste while being faster edge to edge than most other skis that I think of as capable in the same conditions. When I lived back east my usual run was ~900 ft of iced over bumps which I think they are perfect for.

If you have the chance, take them out for a demo, the big blizzard skis get all the love around here but IMO the Latigo is just as well designed for its intended purpose.

these are what you want OP. better bring your A-game

Do you know if you want more of a GS ski or tighter turner closer to a Slalom ski? Nordica Fire Arrow 84 would be worth a look if leaning more toward GS. Some deals out there also on the Fischer Watea 84 (but I have not personally skied those)- Fischer has a pretty good rep for carving/ice skis with their racing background, though these are not racing oriented. Sierra Trading Post has some reviews on these for east coast/mid west area skiers.

the new K2 pinnackle 95 is a ski i would highly recommend for eastern skiing.skied a 184 quite a bit last season and it skied every type of snow condition that we see here in the northeast.very well.stable when skiing fast yet turns on a dime in tight trees.handle icy bumps as well as soft bumps,skied mank as well as ice.i would recommend going with a longer length rather than shorter

^^^^This for the win...! I have this exact pair in a 186 and by far one of the absolute best on-piste ski I own and have been on... I cannot explain it, but I have yet to ski a ski that has such an unbelievable on the snow feel... I am going to Holiday Valley with the fam early Jan and unless it snows this ski is going with me... The bitch of it is I paid a lot more than this when I bought mine...!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    ^^^^This for the win...! I have this exact pair in a 186 and by far one of the absolute best on-piste ski I own and have been on... I cannot explain it, but I have yet to ski a ski that has such an unbelievable on the snow feel... I am going to Holiday Valley with the fam early Jan and unless it snows this ski is going with me... The bitch of it is I paid a lot more than this when I bought mine...!
    Most of the excellent skiers(I'm not in that group) at my hill are on Heads, Fischers or Stocklis of this shape and/or vintage for everyday skiing when there is less than 6" of new snow.

honestly? the invictus 89ti might do it for ya.
    http://armadaskis.com/products/skis/...invictus-89ti/

metal laminate, carbon kevlar stringers, fast base, sidewall construction, positive camber with a touch of nose rocker, traditional sidecut, 88/89 underfoot depending on length. strong and traditional enough for charging through east coast ice and crud with enough width and rocker for the occasional escapist trip out of your new frozen hellscape.

not quite, they are fun on groomers but in my mind what is great about them is how capable they are off piste while being faster edge to edge than most other skis that I think of as capable in the same conditions. When I lived back east my usual run was ~900 ft of iced over bumps which I think they are perfect for.

If you have the chance, take them out for a demo, the big blizzard skis get all the love around here but IMO the Latigo is just as well designed for its intended purpose.

these are what you want OP. better bring your A-game
    Total thread jack -
    I am hoping I can find something to do both you know. Its easy to find a dedicated carver but to find one that can still play off piste can be tough.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Yup. Or if you want a longer radius/more "Oomph", buy these:

www.coloradodiscountskis.com/store/product471.html

Both skis are excellent on hardpack (like race ski grip, not just 'better than your powder boards'), the ss pro just doesn't have an easily obtainable speed limit.