Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

non-binary pronouns

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Why can't he mean male genitalia and she mean female genitalia?

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Why can't he. . . .
    hater

Why can't he mean male genitalia and she mean female genitalia?
    Why are you oppressing me?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

This thread needs a trigger warning.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Herm
    Hermself

That should do it.

Isn't "they" supposed to refer to more than one person? You aren't a male or a female, fine. But come up with a less confusing pronoun please.

It's a brave new collective!

http://grammarist.com/usage/they/

You guys are welcome.

It's frusterating. I don't really care what gender people identify with. It's like who people want to have sex with. If it doesn't affect me, I don't care.

And it's a two sided sword. A person who appears male but identifies female or neither might want you to ask what they prefer, but if you go asking a feminine man or a man with a high voice (that identifies male) or a masculine woman (that identifies female) what they are it could be pretty hurtful, like that's Pat from the old Saturday night lives.

I don't understand why people cannot just accept each other.

I just say "asshole", seems to fit. So far all males, females, trans, unisex, neutrals, nondeterminates, et all, have assholes, so it should offend. Of course all those subsets could have colostomy bags...fuck, this is hard.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

If someone wants to be called "They" or "it" or "supreme leader" thats fine but that doesn't the media should indulge them.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I don't really care what gender people identify with.
    I don't understand why people cannot just accept each other.
    But if you address a transgender person per a pronoun based on that person's genitalia, you are being unaccepting of that person.

The obvious gender-neutral pronoun for an individual is "it."

"It" is it. "They" needs to be reserved for people with multiple personality disorder.

Well I remember calling people it as an insult. Actually, pretty sure I have been called an it before as in you must be fuckable to be female.

When the fake service dogs at work don't get along and their owners start carrying on about whose is real and whose isn't I tell them nobodies disability supersedes anothers.

Actually, a person can say they are disabled and refuse to move from the wheel chair station and that's ok. The person using the wheel chair would have to wait for the next bus...

So why should one person's feelings be more important than others? Why can't it be ok to be different...different but people might not understand you at a first glance? Does pronouns really make people feel better?

This sort of reminds me of a Facebook blow up of a friend of a friend with poor privacy settings I witnessed.

A person born as a boy but becoming a girl was all worked up because her (I think that's the pronoun they would prefer) was getting married and wanted her to wear a tux.

She didn't want to wear a tux because she was no longer a he and that would be akin to being someone she wasnt... sister was otherwise supportive of bro/sis transition.

If I were the sister getting married and my family was attending the wedding and another family member showed up in what they would see as cross dress it would be a shitshow. The focus of the wedding would be on the brother in a dress.

Of course you could say don't invite the bigot family but think about that shitstorm. There would be so many hurt feelings all so bro could wear a dress.

And most of the people posting were supporting the bro who wanted to wear the dress.

I don't understand why I should give a shit about a person's gender identity or sexual orientation unless I wish to have a sexual relationship with that person.

Does [sic] pronouns really make people feel better?
    The point is that the incorrect pronoun makes a transgender person feel bad.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't understand why I should give a shit about a person's gender identity or sexual orientation unless I wish to have a sexual relationship with that person.
    You need not give said shit so long as you avoid using the incorrect pronoun.

A person born as a boy but becoming a girl was all worked up because her (I think that's the pronoun they would prefer) was getting married and wanted her to wear a tux.
    Ok and here we have the problem.

What the fuck actually took place in this story?

After 3 re-readings I realize that the whole thing would make a lot more sense if I assume you meant to write "her sister was getting married" but because of the total ambiguity of the pronouns I'm not exactly sure. Is the boy who is now a girl getting married and prefers that your use the of the pronoun her in contravention of standard pronoun-verb agreement as a way of flaunting the sexist transphobic English grammar?
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Of course you could say don't invite the bigot family but think about that shitstorm. There would be so many hurt feelings all so bro could wear a dress.
    The way you wrote that story makes it impossible to understand. So let's focus on this part, since it is intelligible.

Participants in a wedding can wear whatever clothes reflect their gender identity. Which may or may not align with their current or future genitalia.
    Bigoted family members will just have to deal. It's like inter racial dating, gay marriage, etc. Bigotards will either adjust, or get old and die off.

Curious how this would play in languages where all nouns are gendered (Spanish, French) and also in languages where there actually already is a neutral-gender pronoun used (Russian). The language of the culture you're living in probably has a bigger-than-obvious impact on how you think about these sort of things.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Curious how this would play in languages where all nouns are gendered (Spanish, French) and also in languages where there actually already is a neutral-gender pronoun used (Russian). The language of the culture you're living in probably has a bigger-than-obvious impact on how you think about these sort of things.
    I think it's probably easier in spanish since posesive pronouns are already gender neutral and gendered pronouns are not the subject for verbs.

The story is.. born female sister is having a traditional wedding to a man. (Cis gendered?) The bride wants her sibling that was born a boy but feels like a girl and is beginning to "become" a female to wear a tux to be in her wedding.

IMO, it's not terrible for the bride to not want the extended family to find out Tommy is now Tammy at her wedding and because of family politics not inviting certain because can cause major drama. Bro turning to sis should understand and not make it about him/her. Imo.

Back to the pronouns.. People who are regular gendered get offended and hurt when called the wrong pronoun too and they don't have the lgbt etc community. They can be complete out outcasts.

Plus if it looks like a duck...

I had an English teacher in high school who taught us about 'thon.' She even had us write a short story using thon pronouns. Conceptually I'm with it, but it was hard to read. Also, my writing skills weren't good. The only real way around this is to use proper nouns instead of pronouns. It would be so irritating.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

wear a tux to be in her wedding.
    Ughhh.

Please tell me it's not a daytime wedding?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........