Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCal 2015/2016

SoCal 2015/2016

Conditions report from the heart-in-your-throat steeps of Snow Valley, CA:

Excellent coverage on the couple of open runs yesterday, shockingly good in fact. No dirt or rocks anyone on the groomers, big thumbs up to the snowmaking crew. Spent the afternoon snow plowing with Mrs. 1000-Oaks. Couldn't ask for better conditions to learn to ski. Hardly any people, sunny, 55*, and no wind.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-06-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Very cool the misses is learning to ski. Mine started near 45. It's never too late.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Nice! Thankyou for starting a SoCal thread.
    Hopefully we can get Baldy and Waterman open this season.

Anybody mountain bike at baldy? I was wondering if there were any decent trails around there.

Don't bother, Baldy biking is limited to one fire road and the steepest loose talus pirate trails you've ever seen. Beginners and legit pro-DH'ers only. Chair 4 terrain could have been developed to be a nice little bike park, but it never happened.

SoCal 2015/2016

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Don't bother, Baldy biking is limited to one fire road and the steepest loose talus pirate trails you've ever seen. Beginners and legit pro-DH'ers only. Chair 4 terrain could have been developed to be a nice little bike park, but it never happened.
    Thanks. I was just curious as I grew up in upland and remembered the fire road so was just wondering if anything else was ever added to the area. Seems like a no brainer for the area

It looks like this ( sorry for the slow intro)

These cold northern storms aren't doing the trick. Still hoping for that southern gate to open up so we can re-live some of past years (I'm looking at you, 2010).
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Baldy is the Chicago Cubs of ski hills
    Lots of potential but usually falling short,heh.
    Guess thats why I call it my home hill. Gotta love it!
    I am staring at the hill right now and it's 80 degrees out.
    El Nino?

Nice tree skiing in the woods around my house in lake arrowhead... when there is snow. Dang thinking about it I haven't been there in hmmmm almost 3 years.

Hopefully ^^^ you can get back up there soon when we have something to ski on.

FWIW, I was up at Snow Summit on Saturday, and it was pretty fun. Not a ton open, but enough for ripping some turns and having a good time. Looked like some bump-ish runs had nearly enough coverage to get getting going soon, so maybe after another 6-12", there can be some more progress?

Thanks for starting this thread up.

Also: I'll be up at Snow Summit with my lady again on Sunday--probably just doing her stuff (not a lot). May report in after that.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

How do you embed a video?

The Gulch 2015: https://youtu.be/9O5rh_5MLNQ

Just click reply with quote button on this post to see how you embed youtube vids

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

FYI SoCal folks with Avalanche Level 1:

NSP Level 2 Avalanche Class
    Instructor: Jeff Pierce

The cost for this course is a great deal at $175. This includes the books and other course materials. Please keep in mind that this course requires the 4 classroom sessions as well as the 4 field sessions. We are looking at having one of the field sessions at the Lee Canyon Ski Resort (formally know as the Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort). There may be some additional costs associated with lodging and food for this weekend.

*** CORRECTED DATES as of 1/8/16 ***

Classroom Sessions:
    Tuesday February 23rd 6:00-10:00pm in Claremont
    Thursday February 25th 6:00-10:00pm in Claremont

Field Sessions:
    Sat February 27th 8:00am - 4:00pm at Baldy
    Sun February 28th 8:00am - 4:00pm at Baldy

Registration Link:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Kzt...jcDB4/viewform

*Please note: Completion of a Level 1 Avalanche Course is a pre-requisite for the Level 2 class
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-09-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Never, EVER go to Big Bear on New Year's Day, unles you like parking on 330 for hours and hours.

Edit: Spent the night in Running Springs, and the Saturday morning uphill 330 traffic was bumper-to-bumper, 0-5 mph again. CHP really needs to put an officer at the Snowdrift tubing park to direct traffic, that's what caused the three hour backup on New Years Day. Idiots turning right into the tubing park don't move to the shoulder to turn, they just stop in the middle of the 330 while the people ahead of them circle the tubing parking lot looking for a place to park. Eventually this backs up traffic all the way down to Wal-Mart in Highland, and turns the 19 mile drive into a three hour deal. Unbelievable.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-02-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Hopefully this next storm delivers.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Raining hard in Orange County. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

[anti-jinx^nth]

If I'm not mistaken, this is right around Baldy (close as I can get), at 5500'

...and again at 7800'

GOO!

At 5500', that's 36"-44" by Fri AM, and 65" - 90" at 7800'.

Holy shit.

So yeah, unless something weird happens, count me in for next thurs AM at Baldy... Anybody else interested? Will def keep eye on this storm and what happens early next week. BRING IT OOOONNNN!!

[/anti-jinx]
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Holy. Fucking. Shit.

[anti-jinx^nth]

If I'm not mistaken, this is right around Baldy (close as I can get), at 5500'

...and again at 7800'

GOO!

At 5500', that's 36"-44" by Fri AM, and 65" - 90" at 7800'.

Holy shit.

So yeah, unless something weird happens, count me in for next thurs AM at Baldy... Anybody else interested? Will def keep eye on this storm and what happens early next week. BRING IT OOOONNNN!!

[/anti-jinx]
    WOW!!!

Wish I could join you. I will be at Mammoth this weekend, so not a bad option. Hopefully this will give us some base snow at Baldy. In 10/11 I got at least one day at Baldy every weekend that I did not go to Mammoth. I got 40 days that year, with tons of quality, so hopefully this storm will give Baldy the base to allow good skiing for a while. If you guys go up right after the storm be careful of the road, it is pretty sketchy.

Hopefully some of you guys will be getting out to Baldy this weekend. Have fun but be careful, lots of sharks and logs. I will probably be hitting Mammoth but can't wait to get to Baldy next weekend.

Two feet on dirt at Baldy is really thin, be careful out there.

The adjustment factor for NOAA Baldy forecasts is to move the forecast point to lower in the canyon (6k feet), then add up the lower snowfall range figures, and then assume actual snowfall might be 50% of that.

So who it Baldy this weekend? I will probably go next weekend and I am curious to see how things are.

San Jacinto had plenty of coverage on Saturday. The terrain from tram to summit is 99% meadow skipping but its a fun little tour. Friday was probably the choice day but I was stuck at work. It was so foggy and windy up top I couldn't really scope out snow creek. Will look again next time. There was a bit of crust forming already and the snow was a little dense, which was actually fortunate since it took the brush and rocks out of play.