First Aid/Ski survival kit

I carry two small kits with me on top of the 10 essentials. The first aid kit has nitrile gloves, band-aids, gauze, IB, bandages, triple anti-biotic, etc. The second survival kit has a flashlight, firestarter, lighter, knife, paracord, survival blanket, hand warmers, bailing wire, zip ties, voile strap, etc.

How extensive is your first aid and survival kit when skiing alone or with a small group? Do you carry a SAM splint, antihistamines, and some of the more 'esoteric' items that you see in pre-made kits? What odd item do you never leave without?

In addition I carry tourniquets, diphenhydramine, a 14 gauge needle/cath/chest seal and some abd pads.

Oh and instead of a survival blanket I started carrying one of those emergency bivys by SOS. About as light but more protection from the elements.

Besides a 9mm Glock for wolves, I like to carry a warm down jacket and a light sil-nylon tarp. In a group of 4 or more or in any group with less strong skiers, I like to bring a brooks range ultra-light rescue sled and a sam splint.

For backcountry trips:
    Sunscreen
    Vaseline lip therapy (chafing)
    Earplugs
    Mountain money (tp)
    Medical tape
    Sterile pads and band-aids
    Kerlix and maybe an ace bandage
    Blister stuff
    CPR blob
    OPAs, NPAs
    Nitrile gloves
    Alcohol and iodine wipes
    Butterfly closures
    SAM splint
    Shears
    Syringe/saline flush
    Q-tips
    Glue
    Benzoin
    Benadryl
    Ibuprofen
    Aspirin
    Hydrocodone
    Oxycodone

You hurt? I got your back. But I'm an EMT, so I'm pretty current on most of that stuff - things like NPAs and OPAs aren't really for your average Joe/Jane. I used to carry an epi-pen, but gave up when the last one expired - Benadryl instead.

That stuff is in a couple-three bags that I mix-and-match/choose for different levels of perceived need. I usually carry stuff for ABC (airway, breathing, circulation) and some aspirin, and step it up from there depending.

But one thing that's important is CPR. Be ready for that, and if you haven't taken it recently (or ever) there have been recent changes that are important.

Other than that a Spot emergency beacon, puffy, zip ties, binding and pole repair, sewing kit, spare parts as the mood strikes, mini vise grips, trash/bivy bag, fire starter, cord, straps, etc etc.

I never leave without my lucky Swiss Army Knife - Spartan model, or brown liquor.

I used to tour with an ER physician/anesthetist, when I asked him if he had any 1st aid and he said "ya man, last aid too "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

DUCT TAPE
    Gravity. It's the law.

Just pack snow on it - you'll be fine.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Epi pen, CPR mask and quick clot are my top three because of their vital nature. I had exercise induced anaphylaxis for the first time trail running and had I not been very close to a hospital would have died, allergy test said it had to do with sunflower seeds I ate for lunch that day even though I eat them all the time. Point is, could happen to anyone at anytime and epi can save your life. Your doctor can prescribe them to you for travel or just if you ask, and if it's prescribed to you, you can administer it to others (learned this in WFR, correct me if that's only true to WFRs)

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    In addition I carry tourniquets, diphenhydramine, a 14 gauge needle/cath/chest seal and some abd pads.
    How many chests have you darted?

How many chests have you decompressed?

Quote Originally Posted by ACheateaux View Post
    How many chests have you decompressed?
    Rough guess: 8-10. Why?

Jesus. You and your crew ski hard, eh? Can I roll with y'all?

My first aid kit varies pretty widely.
    OPA/NPA seem reasonable, but I don't carry them.

Light is right- could probably do this with 1 instead of 2. Haven't tried it, but could be fun. A decent mask is pretty bulky. I used to carry a pocket shield thingy. Used it once, and was not impressed.

Between me and my wife we generally have minimal first aid, no meds, a Bothy Bag, and a good gear repair kit. I live in Maine, so obviously a gun for wolves.

I am reasonably well versed in first aid as are my main ski partners, and it is shocking how little first aid gear we carry. OTOH, I am pretty sure I can remount a dynafit binding with the stuff in my pack, new holes and all.

If I'm honest with myself, my real first aid kit gets left under the seat pretty often and I end up skiing with some kerlix/gauze, a tourniquet and the bivy sack.

First Aid/Ski survival kit

Solo, on a day outing, 1st aid kit has a few band aids, compression bandage or abdominal pads with that vet wrap stuff, painkillers, and a samsplint. Survival kit is fire starter, 2 large garbage bags, 2 or 3 space blankets, zip ties, some duct tape, binding/boot repaired kit, siltarp, and multitool. And a means to get an SOS out.

With more folks, or for longer trips, the kits get much larger depending on the group, similar to that described by MS above, perhaps along with someone carrying a separate wound treatment kit. Largely depends on how far and for how long we will be out for.

Current training is 40hrs WFA, and will be upgrading to 80hrs in the spring.

Rough guess: 8-10. Why?
    If you can get your hands on the 10g 2.5" caths, they stay in the pleural space better and the tip doesn't occlude as bad.

No one has mentioned condoms?

Perhaps applies more to hiking/climbing but 2in athletic tape and knowing how to tape an ankle--if you can tape a sprain you can turn an evacuation into a limp out. If you're merciful a razor to shave the hair before you tape.
    I don't get the quick clot--what are the chances of a open arterial bleed on a ski trip, unless you're skiing in Afghanistan?
    More important than a lot of first aid gear is training and the ability to improvise.

All you really need is athletic tape, duct tape, a stack of 4x4 gauze pads and a compression bandage. Everything else is nice, but can be field improvised. Drugs are nice as well.

In reality, my year round first aid kit and survival kit fits in a 4x5 pouch with the above items firestarter, mylar blanket, handwarmer, knife, mini-leatherman keychain thing with scissors and a few other random items. Weighs under 0.5 lb and fits in any of my packs, could even go in a pocket if needed. Throw in additional items depending on conditions and the trip.

I try to keep it small enough that I don't have an excuse to not take it. And I try to keep it about survival at my skill level, not playing EMT in the woods. Keep meaning to buy some quickclot, but it always seems like overkill.

A civil war surgeons kit. If I'm skiing above the tree line, I'll also throw a bite stick in my pack.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

A 4x4inch quick clot is under $15 and eliminates the need for excessive amounts of gauze. Arterial bleeds may be less common in skiing because of protective clothing, but can cause death in just a few minutes.

I volly for a pretty busy ski patrol which has seen, give or take, 25,000 patients since I have been there. Of those 25,000, none have been given Quick Clot (or any hemostatic agent). and none have died from uncontrolled external bleeding.
    While it may have some conceivable use, well aimed direct pressure works well. I am sure it is easy to find stories of "uncontrolled bleeding" which this stuff was used on, but the issue could have had more to do with the rescuer than the rescuee. I believe that the stories of uncontrolled bleeding are true, just not convinced the bleeding was uncontrollable.
    Could come in handy I suppose, but never makes my list, even when I pack up a decent kit.
    My big debate is generally whether a SAM splint make it in, as that really takes up some space.
    And, 2 thumbs up for getting really good at taping ankles. Huge difference.

Good thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........