Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Yes. It's called the "thrill seeking", "sensation seeking" or "high novelty seeking" personality correlation to substance abuse. Plenty has been written on this.
    I'm aware of that - I did some searching because I was curious and couldn't find any good data specific to skiing, which was surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Y

Well Ernie, if you'd spent some time drinking in Edinburgh instead of the with dandy frogs and tiny Cubans, you might have been used to getting decked by a dude in a dress.
    Pure gold response...

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    My stepdad took that option 6 years. He is the most miserable person I know.
    He suffers from untreated alcoholism. No reason to live like that.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    AZ, just don't buy into the whole "powerless" thing that some people will try to sell you. You have the power to make choices. You make choices every day about a million things and you can choose to drink or not drink just like anything else. If this was a situation where you had become chemically dependent on alcohol the choice would be harder to make or at least harder to carry out but you'd still have choices.
    The powerless shtick annoys me too. Being someone with addictive tendencies (read: committed self medicator, reformed FrankTehTank'r) you'd think it's all id and I have little control. But that's a load of horseshit. The trick is to manage your vices and mental or physical weak points in a way that allows you to enjoy your time while refraining from destroying your professional and personal relationships. You can't change who you are, but you can manage your flaws in a way that both looks after the interests of loved ones and keeps your body from failing prematurely. The single most important thing is to be aware of these personal weaknesses and actively manage them. It's hard and I fail from time to time, so you're far from alone there.

If someone cannot stop drinking then they lack "choice". If you think you can stop, then stop for 30 days, no pot. Stop "for you" not for others, including wife. Recruit her support... no drinking in the house. See if she is willing to support "no drinking" as opposed to "cutting back".

Then look at what is happening. Be honest about what's going on. This is about you and no one can tell you that you are an alcoholic because this is your life. If you are an alcoholic there is no future in a drink. The way you drink, your ability to drink safely, will not change simply because you stop drinking for a while. An alcoholic drinks the way they do - to get fucked up.

Let it happen, experience the difficulty of not drinking at all for 30 days, with no pot or other relief, and be honest. PM me if you like. Believe me, I have lived this situation. It's turned out well and my wife didn't leave.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Is this Day Two? How's it going?
    It's good, I can go without for a week or two at a time, I'm not like an insane alchy or anything. It's just when I go I go full throttle.

The ultimatum isn't a bad thing imo, I would love to be free from this shit. Once I'm a few deep I don't have control and it scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by rather ripped View Post
    If someone cannot stop drinking then they lack choice. If he thinks he can stop than stop for 30 days, no pot. Stop for you not for others including wife. Recruit her support... no drinking in the house.

Then look at what is happening. Be honest about what is going on. This is about you and know one can tell you that you are an alcoholic because this is your life. If you are an alcoholic there is no future in a drink. The way you drink will not change simply because you stop drinking for a while. An alcoholic drinks the way they do - to get fucked up.

Let it happen, experience the difficulty of not drinking at all, with no pot or other relief, and be honest.

Good luck
    I definitely drink to get fucked up, in fact I love it.

Anxiety that is related to a stressful childhood does that to people.

I don't get the "no pot" dealio. Why not? Does he have to go without food or sleep too? It's about managing things in a constructive fashion, not about becoming a saint.

You got to control it or it can control you.
    watch out for snakes

When I quit booze & drugs for awhile, the only way to describe it is that I was getting a little high by being so sober after all those years of drinking/smoking ... kind cool

sounds like OP is drinking for the wrong reasons

and so we have established that its not really his crazy ass partner ... he really does have a problem
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have zero issues with the pot. I can't afford it being a student living on loan monies. It's never been a thing, it's enjoyable but I don't ever feel like a need it. And it's not something that makes me lazy and eat chips, I get fired up and need to be in motion getting exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    I have zero issues with the pot. I can't afford it being a student living on loan monies. It's never been a thing, it's enjoyable but I don't ever feel like a need it. And it's not something that makes me lazy and eat chips, I get fired up and need to be in motion getting exercise.
    I dont care one way or another if you smoke pot, but you were likey spending as much or more on booze. We are programmed to dismiss the cost as it is so ingrained in every day life.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    I dont care one way or another if you smoke pot, but you were likey spending as much or more on booze. We are programmed to dismiss the cost as it is so ingrained in every day life.
    That's why I quit the good beers. 13-15 bucks a day for a good 6 pack, times 30 is 450 a month on brews. That's a quality oz of grass, and a wad of some good errl.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

-Today is day one. We'll see how this goes.
    My parents were alco's, you are def doing the right thing for you and your daughter. good on ya

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    That's why I quit the good beers. 13-15 bucks a day for a good 6 pack
    $13-15 for a six-pack? What the fuck were you drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Sculpin?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Ballast point sculpin are $15 a six pack. Many of the good vt beers are about $13 a 4pack of 16oz cans. If your drinking a sixer every nite of 7-9%abv beers you may have a drinking problem.

Those sculpins are dangerously crushable tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Grapefruit Sculpin IPA was the biggest offender. Lone Tree IIPA 4 packs.

Yeah a 6er will fuck me up. 3-4 usually the norm. Now its 3-4 Coors Lt, at 19 bucks a suit case.

If I am gardening though, Ill start draining Coors Lt.

Weight loss was a nice unintended gain.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Grapefruit Sculpin IPA was the biggest offender. Lone Tree IIPA 4 packs.
    We might not always agree but I respect you sir. That is a good beer. Thread drift but so is this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449174320.358580.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	773.5 KB 
ID:	172786

That's why home brewing makes great sense. I can brew wot evah and do it way cheaper. Sorry that's not really helpin the OP.
    watch out for snakes

Yeah, sorry about the thread drift. I try to stick to the $10 and under sixers. Sculpin is a special treat, not a daily drinker.

I definitely drink to get fucked up, in fact I love it.

Anxiety that is related to a stressful childhood does that to people.
    Please go see a therapist. Trust me, it will be worth your time. You are likely drinking to hide your anxiety, depression, and deeply hidden childhood pain. Therapy is good! Do it! It will help!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    Please go see a therapist. Trust me, it will be worth your time. You are likely drinking to hide your anxiety, depression, and deeply hidden childhood pain. Therapy is good! Do it! It will help!
    Therapy is for rich people. We poor folk can't afford such luxuries.

The drift is making me thirsty, I need a beer.....just kidding.

If you broke your leg, would you go to the hospital? Yes, of course you would. Mental health issues, although not regarded as so, can be just as serious as a broken leg.

Most insurance will pay for mental health. Have you looked into it, or are you just assuming it's expensive? If you are suffering from anxiety from a stressful childhood, you need to talk about that shit. Plus going to a therapist will help you stop drinking!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

doughboyshredder Guest

The drift is making me thirsty, I need a beer.....just kidding.
    Yeah for sure. You guys posting pictures of beer and talking about beer in a thread where someone's trying to quit drinking is pretty assholeish