Thread: Touring shell

Touring shell

What's the point? I got one with polartec fabric that seems great, until I'm actually skinning or skiing with a pack. Then it rides up, rides too tight in the waist with ski pants plus arcade belt (I can size up i suppose) and does less well than the std 3 layer foreign inclement weather. I also don't think it breathes any better despite the claims to the contrary.

What touring shells do peeps like?

Anyone else starting to think this? "Fuck it, one shell for everything."

Who has trouble touring in 3 layer gore? What are the downsides?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

No body tours in gore, at least not on the up. Might as well just wear a tarp and/garbage bag.

I have the Patagonia Knifeblade and can wear it on the up if it's cold but most of the time it's just hanging out until I summit.

I do have the OR Enchantment she'll, I can actually wear it up and down it breaths so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

I tour in a base layer and a sweater if it's under 25f, just a base layer if warmer. Throw a shell on when the wind starts howling, or I'm topping out.

Which polartec fabric? Some breath significantly more than others.

Patagonia Houdini to keep the wind out. Only have a proper shell if it's raining and/or really cold
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    Patagonia Houdini to keep the wind out. Only have a proper shell if it's raining and/or really cold
    X2. Houdini if it's breezy, usually no shell otherwise. Way too much heat generated on the up.

Usually pretty easy to manage with a windshell/wind shirt/ fleece etc depending on the temp and the wind, only gets challenging when it's precipitating. When breaking trail while it's dumping, a highly breathable shell is necessary, but more than the gear, staying dry actually requires more concious temperature management: fitness, technique, route selection, and pacing will keep you drier than expecting some super laminate to work miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Which polartec fabric? Some breath significantly more than others.
    It's the knifeblade.

Tried westcomb apoc and it worked well. My westcomb event does well also. But I hike and don't tour so take that with a grain of salt
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Westcomb Focus LT is pretty good and not too expensive. But don't expect the world. Working hard while wrapped in a membrane sucks. And the ones that breath better aren't totally waterproof. If I dealt with a lot of rain on ski tours I'd try out Big Steve's vapor barrier system.

Kootenay hit it. Shells are good for wind and precipitation and extra warmth in real cold, but managing your engine so it doesn't overheat is key.

Below ~30 F or raining, and Steve's semi-VB approach seems to work well the few times I've tried it. Above that, and I just use a 150 wt wool tee (short sleeve).

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    more than the gear, staying dry actually requires more concious temperature management: fitness, technique, route selection, and pacing will keep you drier than expecting some super laminate to work miracles.
    ^^This 100%. And I definitely think the last 3 things are more important than generic, non-ski-touring fitness. (Not directed toward chicken in particular, just a general comment.)
    Last edited by auvgeek; 12-02-2015 at 09:14 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Kootenayskier has it right; the difference between the right shell and the wrong one is how well you can use either of them correctly. Considering that, it helps to prioritize venting and light weight, since (hopefully) the shell isn't always being used, but when it's pouring rain or wet snow you want to stay dry (from the inside and outside). Vents need to be easily adjusted to be useful, too.

Best option I see is Freeride Systems Antero II+ in Neoshell. In the pack on the up if as all's going well, hood up with the vents and cuffs open if it's pouring rain, and when it's cold and windy zip and cinch. Neoshell won't save you from everything, but its better breathing adds margin and lets you focus on other stuff.

Touring shell

If you use a stretch-woven softshell, you often won't have to manage anything at all. Baselayers for the temperatures in treeline. Add softshell jacket when you hit wind above treeline. If its dumping and temps are relatively cold, you can go minimal baselayer and wear the softshell. Your body heat will burn off the moisture. If its warm and dumping (really wer snow), then you need to manage a laminate of some kind. But on days when it isn't, there's absolutely no reason to be wearing a membrane. Its a recipe for discomfort and hassle.

I almost can never stand to go uphill in a shell, unless its 20f or less and windy. However, the strafe nomad I have is actually an awesome cut for that. Decently well fitting, but with an extra 3" or so of length at the hip. Imagine flylow got their hands on an alpine climbing shell meant to fit under a harness.

Quote Originally Posted by cooks View Post
    I almost can never stand to go uphill in a shell, unless its 20f or less and windy. However, the strafe nomad I have is actually an awesome cut for that. Decently well fitting, but with an extra 3" or so of length at the hip. Imagine flylow got their hands on an alpine climbing shell meant to fit under a harness.
    Shit. That's what I want. That answers my beef with the fit issue...

Agree with much of what was said. I run super hot and often ascend in a wool pata T with a 1/4 zip 150 stoic merino piece or the mtn eclipse hoody if it's colder. Have the Houdini. Silly not to have applied that piece to this. But the description above of the nomad sounds perfect.

Anyone got a lightly used one in a brightish color to sell in a size Large?

2nd the Nomad. Long cut (and sleeve), removable powder skirt, great venting, can fit skins in the chest pockets if you're in a bind...

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    I'm gonna have to try this! Do you wear your same Houdini you rock in the summer on rainy days?

Probably have to size up for layering...?
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    It's the knifeblade.
    1+ breaths really well for a hard style shell