Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What powder touring ski?

I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but hey, all about me, right?

I have a mid 2000's Black Diamond Verdict with dynafits that I've toured on for probably 8 seasons now. I still like them and plan on keeping them for spring and mountaineering shit but want something different for powder days and really any kind of soft snow.

I'm looking in the 180ish range and want float, maneuverability in trees and easy to ski. I don't need a crud buster in the backcountry but if it can handle weird mank that would be a bonus. I really don't have a ton of experience on rockered skis, I have some 188 megawatts but most of my powder days since getting them have been in the backcountry, so I've been on the verdicts.

I've ordered a pair of DPS 112RP2 in the tour construction but I'm not 100% sure on them. What else should I consider? Carbon megawatts in 178 or G3 synapse? 2000 gram plus skis need not apply.

WWMD?

Lhasa pows. End thread.

There's a ton of good choices. Which version Megawatt do you have and how do you like them? Other pow skis you've skied that you liked or disliked?

I take a pair of DPS 112 and 120's to Japan.I hardly ever ski the 120's as it makes it too easy. I am not a very good skier but the 120 is pretty easy to rip on in deep powder.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    There's a ton of good choices. Which version Megawatt do you have and how do you like them? Other pow skis you've skied that you liked or disliked?
    I can't remember what year. The year right after the blue originals in 188. They feel a little big in tight spots unless the snow is really good.

Honestly my favorite skis ever were some 183 Gotamas from back when they were considered fat skis. But that may be because I was skiing 100 day seasons at that point and anything would've felt good.

Honestly I'd recommend demoing. There's so much variation in designs out there right now, and there are so many good skis.

I'd tend to steer you towards something with fairly generous tip rocker, fairly minimal tail rocker, and a relatively traditional mounting point given that you've been skiing more traditionally shaped skis. But, it's hard to say that for sure.

The above would not particularly describe the 112RP2 and that's an expensive learning experience if you don't like them. Over half of the people I know that bought 112s ended up selling them FWIW.

Honestly I'd recommend demoing. There's so much variation in designs out there right now, and there are so many good skis.

I'd tend to steer you towards something with fairly generous tip rocker, fairly minimal tail rocker, and a relatively traditional mounting point given that you've been skiing more traditionally shaped skis. But, it's hard to say that for sure.

The above would not particularly describe the 112RP2 and that's an expensive learning experience if you don't like them. Over half of the people I know that bought 112s ended up selling them FWIW.
    Yep, that's what I'm afraid of. Honestly, the Atomic Automatic series looks really good, on paper, but heavy. I wish there was somewhere to go to demo a lot of different skis with dynafits.

Carbon Converts? Shouldn't be too hard to find a demo or pair to borrow with Dynafits, given your location. Skinnier than the other options.

Voile also in your hood and ability to demo shouldn't be that hard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Voile Charger is a really good option for someone that likes the old Verdict and the factory should have demos available with tech binders.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Carbon Converts? Shouldn't be too hard to find a demo or pair to borrow with Dynafits, given your location. Skinnier than the other options.

Looked at the converts but wasn't sure if they'd be substantially different enough to warrant a new pair of skis.

I've got a pair of Lotus 120 hybrids that I tour on, 184cm.

They're awesome in Powder and can handle the crappier conditions. Super easy to ski and look like a super hero if there's any soft stuff on the ground. The pintail and massive tip rocker make it super pivotable in powdery conditions, making them a super fun tree ski.

Touring isn't perfect, but it's do able.

Overall I'd recommend them, but thinking of thinning my quiver and selling. Not sure.

Voile Charger is a really good option for someone that likes the old Verdict and the factory should have demos available with tech binders.
    Haven't paid much attention to Voile skis for a while. I'll have to take a look.

Steeple 112 if you dont mind a little extra weight. Its a scaled down Billy Goat .

Quote Originally Posted by zeroforhire View Post
    Lhasa pows. End thread.
    That's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

I've ordered a pair of DPS 112RP2 in the tour construction but I'm not 100% sure on them.
    Stop second guessing yourself. You will be plenty happy with your DPS skis. I haven't skied the tour 1 construction, but the 112 rp2 floats really well for the size, tip always up and out of the snow. It's very easy to ski and will zip lines through the trees like almost nothing else.

The sizing on these is really annoying, as I feel 181 would be too short and 191 a touch too long...

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Haven't paid much attention to Voile skis for a while. I'll have to take a look.
    Perhaps because they were still selling Mountain Surfs and Carbon Surfs when you were in the market last?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I've been really happy with my Exit Worlds. Mind you, mine are pre-triple camber. Shaped like the original Bibby Pro, 115 waist, a tick over 8lbs, bomber build construction and very easy to ski, even in tight spaces.

What powder touring ski?

What weight class are you looking for? 1600g/ski? Or 1800g/ski? Pretty big difference in performance, imo, for each of those classes. One is for virgin non-wind/rain-fucked powder only, unless you ski like a nancy. The other CAN be much more versatile and charger-oriented. Also, do you want something more powder oriented around 115mm, or do you want something closer to 100mm that will still float a lot better than your Verdicts, but is more efficient on the up?

All of these are much more powder oriented than your Verdicts (most skis are, actually).

Skis in the 1600g/ski class (not many):
    DPS 112 Tour1
    G3 Synapse 109
    Down Skis YW8 102 (1450g)
    Black Diamond Carbon Convert
    Movement Conquest (hesitant because of conservative Euro rocker profiles - haven't seen one yet)

Skis in the 1800g/ski class:
    4FRNT Raven
    Salomon BC Lab
    Down Skis 107 and 110
    Volkl BMT 109
    Voile Charger and V8
    Moment Exit Worlds
    ON3P Steeple 102
    Praxis (lots of models to choose from)
    Lhasa Pow Pures (weight can be quite variable - check with seller)
    Black Diamond Carbon Megawatts
    Blizzard ZeroG 108
    Older DPS Lotus 120 (not Pure3)

Probably missed a few there, some left out intentionally, due to performance reasons. There's also a TON of skis in the under-2000g/ski class, some of them much better performing than the 1800g/ski class, some of them with much worse performance.

Honestly, I feel like there's room in the quiver for an 1800g/ski @ 105mm (which would replace your Verdict), for big mountain-style skiing, as well as a 1600g/ski, for mid-winter meadow skipping. Add in a 2000g/ski @ 120mm for deep powder, and a 2300g/ski @ 110mm for typical resort conditions (from variable conditions to all but the deepest days). Maybe add a 1400g/ski @ 90 for traverses and ski mountaineering if that's your thing, but I prefer to use my 1800g/ski for that, as I prefer to ski a bit faster than most.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 12-01-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    What weight class are you looking for? 1600g/ski? Or 1800g/ski? Pretty big difference in performance, imo, for each of those classes. One is for virgin non-wind/rain-fucked powder only, unless you ski like a nancy. The other CAN be much more versatile and charger-oriented. Also, do you want something more powder oriented around 115mm, or do you want something closer to 100mm that will still float a lot better than your Verdicts, but is more efficient on the up?

All of these are much more powder oriented than your Verdicts (most skis are, actually).

Skis in the 1600g/ski class (not many):
    DPS 112 Tour1
    G3 Synapse 109
    Down Skis YW8 102 (1450g)
    Black Diamond Carbon Convert
    Movement Conquest (hesitant because of conservative Euro rocker profiles - haven't seen one yet)

Skis in the 1800g/ski class:
    4FRNT Raven
    Salomon BC Lab
    Down Skis 107 and 110
    Volkl BMT 109
    Voile Charger and V8
    Moment Exit Worlds
    ON3P Steeple 102
    Praxis (lots of models to choose from)
    Lhasa Pow Pures (weight can be quite variable - check with seller)
    Black Diamond Carbon Megawatts
    Blizzard ZeroG 108

Probably missed a few there, some left out intentionally, due to performance reasons. There's also a TON of skis in the under-2000g/ski class, some of them much better performing than the 1800g/ski class, some of them with much worse performance.

Honestly, I feel like there's room in the quiver for an 1800g/ski @ 105mm (which would replace your Verdict), for big mountain-style skiing, as well as a 1600g/ski, for mid-winter meadow skipping. Add in a 2000g/ski @ 120mm for deep powder, and a 2300g/ski @ 110mm for typical resort conditions (from variable conditions to all but the deepest days). Maybe add a 1400g/ski @ 90 for traverses and ski mountaineering if that's your thing, but I prefer to use my 1800g/ski for that, as I prefer to ski a bit faster than most.
    Woah there. Not looking for a whole quiver. This is BC only, I have the 188 megawatts and some Apache Chiefs for inbounds. Honestly, the Verdicts have been fine for a long time for everything from 10k foot pow days to Teton ski mountaineering but I would like to have something that would be better for pow days.

The weight thing is the rub. I ordered the DPS because they only weigh 15ish but if they ski like shit in everything but blower pow it wouldn't be worth it. But I don't want to break trail with boat anchors all day either. I never really considered that shapes and rocker have improved pow skiing without having to go much fatter than the Verdicts, but I still think it'd be worthwhile to go at least 110+ in the waist.

I guess it should be noted that I would use these 90% of the time in the Wasatch with some travel thrown in for hut trips.

I just bought the Dynafit Denali to replace the DPS 112 as my long touring ski. I do not really enjoy long tours or multi day trips with them. Maybe because of the width and shape. The DPS skis all conditions well except maybe very firm but that could be me. That said if I like the way the Denali skis I may use that as my daily ski instead of the 112. I bought the 120 used here for a good price. I don't use them allot here as there is always some firmer snow encountered especially when skinning. But I posted before the 120 outshines the 112 in powder. My vote would be skip the 112 and buy the 120 or something similar for strictly powder.
    off your knees Louie

What powder touring ski?

The quiver suggestion was kind of anecdotal - not necessarily a direct comment towards the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I just bought the Dynafit Denali to replace the DPS 112 as my long touring ski. I do not really enjoy long tours or multi day trips with them. Maybe because of the width and shape. The DPS skis all conditions well except maybe very firm but that could be me. That said if I like the way the Denali skis I may use that as my daily ski instead of the 112. I bought the 120 used here for a good price. I don't use them allot here as there is always some firmer snow encountered especially when skinning. But I posted before the 120 outshines the 112 in powder. My vote would be skip the 112 and buy the 120 or something similar for strictly powder.
    I'm guessing your 112s are Pures and not Tour1s? My comments were in regards to the Tour1s which come in at 1550g in a 184. In the 1800g weight class, notice I didn't mention the 112 Pures . Much better skis in that weight range, imo.

In the 1600g class, I'd probably take the YW8 102s. Mostly because they're long at 186, and very light at 1450g, and the 179 102 Hybrids that I own (killer 1800g ski) ski powder very well - a slightly softer and longer version could only be better. The G3 Synapse 109 looks like a great ski too, but its heavier and has groomer zoomer sidecut, which I hate on pow skis (maybe why you don't like your 112s?). The G3 has a killer stiff flex to it though and reverse camber is pretty sweet for a soft-snow-only ski.

For an 1800g pure powder ski the Lhasa Pow and old Lotus 120 are really hard to beat, imo (and Praxis options? Never skied em).. The Carbon Megawatt might be too, but its extremely soft. I've never skied it, but the flex is so soft, it'll probably fold up at speed in a turn and sling you across the fall line in unpredictable fashion, especially in denser snow. The Volkl BMT 109 is high on my radar too.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 12-01-2015 at 08:05 PM.

I just noticed some sweet dynafit Stokes I think in gear swap. Dunfee post. Maybe they fit the bill? For sure a pow ski.

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    Steeple 112 if you dont mind a little extra weight. Its a scaled down Billy Goat .
    2nd. "Extra weight" is worth it.

Lots of options these days. Figure out what radius you prefer and go from there. Voile is the the value leader: 181 Charger for >20m radius/stable on firm/all rounder, 186 V8 for <20m radius but more twitchy on firm and chop off the tails if kick turning is a PITA. If price is not an issue, I dunno. Okay then.

ETA: Charger BC for hut trips would be a bold move, a manifestation of your confidence as a modern man. And, yes, I have been drinking.