Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1208

Thread: Ask KQ Claus

This seems as good of a place to ask as any. Who has yoga mat recommendations that don't stretch and slide on a hardwood floor? The wife and I are both lacking in flexibility and have started stretching doing light yoga. Our current mat doubles as a car camping pad and is a nightmare when trying to do something akin to downward dog. I live in a small town so can't really go try out a bunch of these to make my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    This seems as good of a place to ask as any. Who has yoga mat recommendations that don't stretch and slide on a hardwood floor? The wife and I are both lacking in flexibility and have started stretching doing light yoga. Our current mat doubles as a car camping pad and is a nightmare when trying to do something akin to downward dog. I live in a small town so can't really go try out a bunch of these to make my decision.
    First off run a swiffer over your floor to get up all the dust and what not then get yourself a Manduka mat. I love my Pro. Hint: Do some looking around online - I got mine on sale from REI - not a huge mark down but a bit of a savings. Don't forget to pick up blocks and a strap too! Oh and a bolster. Gots to have a bolster.

For those of you with carpets I highly recommend this:

Lifeboard - Portable Floor to Enhance Yoga, Pilates or Ballet Barre Exercise At Home on Carpet or Outdoors

Yes it looks a little pricey but it's worth it. I picked one up when we went into lock down and I started doing Zoom classes. The best area in my house for yoga was carpeted so I needed a solution to remedy that and this was it. I've used it 2x a week for over a year so if you amortize that it all comes out in the wash IMO. It kills me how people complain bitterly about the price in the reviews. Like they could make it themselves. I know I couldn't and I have no idea what it costs to manufacture, ship, package etc. People are nuts. It's not flimsy. It works great.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm all for turning--obviously not just straight dowels but something with some shape.
    If you want to get fancy you could saw slits in the ends of the pegs and put wedges in from behind to get a snug fit, plus glue. If you want to get real fancy you could drill holes in the board that only go partial thickness, but the wedges in the pegs, insert the pegs and let the bottom of the holes drive the wedges home, hopefully right when the shoulder of the peg is touching the board. Look up blind wedged tenons. And if you do the second one practice on some scrap.
    Orient the pegs, slits, and wedges so that the wedges push towards the ends of the board, not the top and bottom, or you might split the board.

You could use some nice wood like walnut for the pegs.

Nothing wrong with nice wrought iron.

For me the key to any clothes hook is a fat enough end that won't poke holes in your clothes. Especially if you're into Arcteryx.
    It seems ski pole grips would work great for pegs. Chop off some dumpster poles and mount up.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

OK, here's one for you. Our new shelter dog got excited on a walk and dragged my wife up a driveway and past a parked car. It was a tight squeeze and she bumped the car's side mirror and took it off. Bonus: it was a BMW.

We knocked on their door to apologize and they couldn't have been nicer about it, said it wasn't a big deal, asked to meet the dog, etc. We told them to take it to a shop and send us the bill and the owner just said "well, I do most of the work myself, let me take a look. I might just ask you to pay for a new mirror." Of course we said that was fine, however they want to handle it.

Anyway, it's been a few months and we haven't heard from them yet. My friend lives next door to them (we were visiting when the incident took place) and said a month ago they had mentioned they were working on it and figuring out what they needed, but radio silence.

So, I'm anticipating at some point that we'll pay something to replace the mirror, either parts or parts+labor, but I'd like to get them a holiday gift just to thank them for being so chill. So, KQ Claus, what have you got for me? There are 2 or 3 roommates, they all drive BMWs of various vintages, all dudes in their early 30s. I don't know their preferences as far as booze or food.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    First off run a swiffer over your floor to get up all the dust and what not then get yourself a Manduka mat. I love my Pro. Hint: Do some looking around online - I got mine on sale from REI - not a huge mark down but a bit of a savings. Don't forget to pick up blocks and a strap too! Oh and a bolster. Gots to have a bolster.

Lifeboard - Portable Floor to Enhance Yoga, Pilates or Ballet Barre Exercise At Home on Carpet or Outdoors

Yes it looks a little pricey but it's worth it. I picked one up when we went into lock down and I started doing Zoom classes. The best area in my house for yoga was carpeted so I needed a solution to remedy that and this was it. I've used it 2x a week for over a year so if you amortize that it all comes out in the wash IMO. It kills me how people complain bitterly about the price in the reviews. Like they could make it themselves. I know I couldn't and I have no idea what it costs to manufacture, ship, package etc. People are nuts. It's not flimsy. It works great.
    FKNA….those better be some damn good mats
    $$$$$
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

How's about a gift of training for the dog? Sounds like wifey got dragged several feet. What if had been unfriendly neighbours/busy road/"prey"?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    OK, here's one for you. Our new shelter dog got excited on a walk and dragged my wife up a driveway and past a parked car. It was a tight squeeze and she bumped the car's side mirror and took it off. Bonus: it was a BMW.

We knocked on their door to apologize and they couldn't have been nicer about it, said it wasn't a big deal, asked to meet the dog, etc. We told them to take it to a shop and send us the bill and the owner just said "well, I do most of the work myself, let me take a look. I might just ask you to pay for a new mirror." Of course we said that was fine, however they want to handle it.

Anyway, it's been a few months and we haven't heard from them yet. My friend lives next door to them (we were visiting when the incident took place) and said a month ago they had mentioned they were working on it and figuring out what they needed, but radio silence.

So, I'm anticipating at some point that we'll pay something to replace the mirror, either parts or parts+labor, but I'd like to get them a holiday gift just to thank them for being so chill. So, KQ Claus, what have you got for me? There are 2 or 3 roommates, they all drive BMWs of various vintages, all dudes in their early 30s. I don't know their preferences as far as booze or food.
    and you don't know if they booze or eat meat - could be a house full of Adventists for all you know, right?

Hmmmmmmmmm, let me ruminate on this in the meanwhile.... anyone? Bueller?

Edit/Add: Okay.... brainstorming here: Does it snow where you live? Maybe a GC to a company that clears drives and walkways. Did you notice anything in the yard/entry/etc. that might give you some ideas besides the fact that they like BMWs?

I've posted this before because I like it as an all purpose unisex any age gift and right now it's 50% off. Who couldn't use this on their couch for watching games or canoodling?

Eddie Bauer Oversized Down Throw

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    FKNA….those better be some damn good mats
    $$$$$
    Oh they are.

Thanks. Any advice on a more value oriented mat? Knowing my wife and I there is potential this may not see much use after we get lazy in a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Thanks. Any advice on a more value oriented mat? Knowing my wife and I there is potential this may not see much use after we get lazy in a month or two.
    They have some lighter ones that are cheaper than the Pro but I hear ya - before I got my Manduka I had this one which is still a great mat:

https://www.amazon.com/LEEPWEI-Exerc...6&sr=8-22&th=1

Thanks KQ. That looks a bit more our style. Plus according to the product name it's a yoga mat for women & men!

and you don't know if they booze or eat meat - could be a house full of Adventists for all you know, right?

Hmmmmmmmmm, let me ruminate on this in the meanwhile.... anyone? Bueller?

Edit/Add: Okay.... brainstorming here: Does it snow where you live? Maybe a GC to a company that clears drives and walkways. Did you notice anything in the yard/entry/etc. that might give you some ideas besides the fact that they like BMWs?

I've posted this before because I like it as an all purpose unisex any age gift and right now it's 50% off. Who couldn't use this on their couch for watching games or canoodling?

Eddie Bauer Oversized Down Throw

Don't buy some 30 something guys a couch throw.

Throw them some vouchers for car washes.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Don't buy some 30 something guys a couch throw.

Throw them some vouchers for car washes.
    There you go! Probably want to make it brushless, right?

Save that throw for someone else because that really is a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    How's about a gift of training for the dog? Sounds like wifey got dragged several feet. What if had been unfriendly neighbours/busy road/"prey"?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah, new shelter dog and we were still in the "getting to know you" phase. Training is happening now, but in this particular case, she was probably chasing a squirrel, and I don't think we're going to train away her prey drive, so we're also working on upper body and core strength (half serious). Not the "easygoing" dog the shelter claimed, but she's hell on wheels at couch snuggling so [shrug].

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Yeah, new shelter dog and we were still in the "getting to know you" phase. Training is happening now, but in this particular case, she was probably chasing a squirrel, and I don't think we're going to train away her prey drive, so we're also working on upper body and core strength (half serious). Not the "easygoing" dog the shelter claimed, but she's hell on wheels at couch snuggling so [shrug].
    Any dog is a good dog if they are tired enough! Haha. Sounds like you're doing all the right things and good on you for rescuing a pup.

I'd like to ask KG Claus for anotha bannah for the Gahden.

Wait, it's not KG? I thought it said KG.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I'd like to ask KG Claus for anotha bannah for the Gahden.

Wait, it's not KG? I thought it said KG.

Here's something for you - The Saran Wrap Christmas Game

Name:  SWCG.png
Views: 461
Size:  709.5 KB

What is the Saran Wrap Christmas Game, you ask?

Well, it’s a game where you wrap up several items such as money, gift cards, candy, small toys and trinkets and encase them entirely in saran wrap. You essentially make it an entire ball of items wrapped in saran wrap.

Then, one person begins unwrapping the ball while another person rolls dice.

Once doubles are rolled, the ball is passed to a new player and the game continues until the ball is unwrapped.

The player that unwraps that item while the ball is in their possession, gets to keep it! So, if you unwrap money on your turn, it’s yours!

We use multiple layers of wrapping papers and tapes, too.
    Oven mitts on both hands.

......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211205_074917.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	395317

Probably belongs in the gear whore forum: I need a headlamp or three fir my wife. All purpose. Take the compost out, shovel the driveway, do some light carpentry, go for a night hike, maybe a little XC ski (classic). If I get a rechargeable, I also need to get a disposable battery one. She goes through these things like nobody's business, so they can't be too spendy. We get accused of losing them, however she's the one who doesn't put them back. I got some reccs a bunch of years ago, not sure if it was here or on TTips. Time for some new lamps. Whatever I bought last time are long gone and so are a dozen more from random stores along the way. Hardware store ones seem to be durable but are heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Probably belongs in the gear whore forum: I need a headlamp or three fir my wife. All purpose. Take the compost out, shovel the driveway, do some light carpentry, go for a night hike, maybe a little XC ski (classic). If I get a rechargeable, I also need to get a disposable battery one. She goes through these things like nobody's business, so they can't be too spendy. We get accused of losing them, however she's the one who doesn't put them back. I got some reccs a bunch of years ago, not sure if it was here or on TTips. Time for some new lamps. Whatever I bought last time are long gone and so are a dozen more from random stores along the way. Hardware store ones seem to be durable but are heavy.
    I've added a few light but cheap/forgettable spares from Sierra when I need to hit a minimum for shipping. They usually seem to have a few options, though of course I can't speak to any of the ones I see there now:

https://www.sierra.com/flashlights-and-headlamps~d~92/

I like these- rechargeable, super light (1 oz), very bright, and super simple- one button for white, one for red.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/Niteco...-nite-nu25.htm

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Petzl makes some decent ones (such as the Tikka) that take AAA batteries, or their own rechargeable. Or if you want particularly lightweight, they make one with a built in rechargeable, reasonably bright, that’s just a shade over 1 oz.

You may consider those a bit pricey. I bought a BD rechargeable for cheap a while back from Sierra, that's just a bit too heavy to be preferred for backpacking, but it's never run out of juice on camping trips. If you watch for deals (not during Xmas season), it's hard to go wrong on respectable brand LED products these days.

I bought a Walmart brand one last year - not where I'd usually looks for outdoor gear but it was available when I needed it. Mine seems to be the older version of the one I linked - they look identical but this one seems to have a brighter LED and larger battery. I like it - it has plenty of output options, battery life is great, easy to recharge, comfy strap. Has surpassed my expectations for sure.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...lamp/517266765

Ask KQ Claus

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    I like these- rechargeable, super light (1 oz), very bright, and super simple- one button for white, one for red.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/Niteco...-nite-nu25.htm
    Hey! That’s on my Christmas list . These are nice products. My buddy has one and I’ve Checked it out on a few trips.

That NU 25 can also be bought at lightsmith with the shock cord mod already done.

If she doesn’t need the red mode, the NU 20 is a few bucks less, same lumens.

Check out their line it’s good stuff. The NU is probably not enough for biking but hiking yes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 12-06-2021 at 05:35 AM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!