Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask KQ Claus

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    For KQ, and those guys looking for stocking stuffer's. I've ordered from them before, and they deliver the goods (not affiliated):

http://www.sockdreams.com/
    oooh these look cozy:

Berber Fleece Slipper Socks

LOL!!!

Speaking of cozy socks.... if you know someone like me who hates to have cold feet at night and likes to pamper their feet too check these out, they are very yummy:

Women's Aloe Vera Slipper Sock

Women's Aloe Vera Sheep Socks

Jewelry. She likes necklaces, bracelets, and such. It's our 2nd year living together and her bday is right before Christmas, so feels like I gotta step up the game. Know weed strains real good, ladies jewelry not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Jewelry. She likes necklaces, bracelets, and such. It's our 2nd year living together and her bday is right before Christmas, so feels like I gotta step up the game. Know weed strains real good, ladies jewelry not so much.
    Ooooh sparkly.... like the sparkly....... How about a Pandora bracelet? Does she have one of those? You can personalize them with charms and colors. You can add additional charms over the years as new life events occur.

^damn it, I'm a sucker for sexy hands, and your stocking! I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    LOL!! Hand fetish eh?

Here's another great non-jewelry store option for unique pieces:

Sundance Jewelry

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    I see that lil reference. This thread needs some tunes, anyway...

ty KQ, now to do my homework

I got my girl that just joined her first bowling league a sweet ball, towel, and I have the shop looking for a vintage pleather maroon and white bag. Did I do okay?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449835303.783148.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	609.3 KB 
ID:	173186
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    I got my girl that just joined her first bowling league a sweet ball, towel, and I have the shop looking for a vintage pleather maroon and white bag. Did I do okay?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449835303.783148.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	609.3 KB 
ID:	173186
    That sounds so cool!

While I'm not in the market for advice on gifts for the wife, I want to give KQ a tip of the hat for her advice to all the heathens in this thread. God knows you need all the help you can get.

Bravo, KQ! Generous effort.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    While I'm not in the market for advice on gifts for the wife, I want to give KQ a tip of the hat for her advice to all the heathens in this thread. God knows you need all the help you can get.

Bravo, KQ! Generous effort.
    I secretly want to be a personal shopper. All the fun of picking stuff out without having to pay. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I secretly want to be a personal shopper. All the fun of picking stuff out without having to pay. LOL!
    If that's what keeps you entertained in W^2, you need to move... Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    If that's what keeps you entertained in W^2, you need to move... Just sayin'.
    LOL! No, it was something I thought about long before moving here. Love W2. Can't imagine ever moving back to Seatown.

Yeah, well I understand not wanting to go back. As much as a lot of people love it there, there are way more people there than I want to be around. Traffic is horrible, not to mention they're getting rain measured by feet right now. And, it's expensive. I'll pass...

13 days people.....tick...tock...

KQ- Can you explain the whole women's clothes sizing. Just way too many different names and departments that make my head spin.

Petite, Juniors, Misses, Whatever they call normal or regular sizes???

My Mom is short (Petite) 5 foot and rarely goes shopping for herself any more. That being said even Petite clothes tend to be long on her, so tonight I was browsing and trying to get ideas and saw Petite Short pants... but nothing in shorter tops and jackets...

Then there are some stores that do not have Petite departments at all, so I can cross them off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    KQ- Can you explain the whole women's clothes sizing. Just way too many different names and departments that make my head spin.

Petite, Juniors, Misses, Whatever they call normal or regular sizes???

My Mom is short (Petite) 5 foot and rarely goes shopping for herself any more. That being said even Petite clothes tend to be long on her, so tonight I was browsing and trying to get ideas and saw Petite Short pants... but nothing in shorter tops and jackets...

Then there are some stores that do not have Petite departments at all, so I can cross them off the list.
    Juniors are for teens - they run in odd sizes up to sz 13. Misses are for 20 and up - they run in even sizes up to sz 14. Womans are for plus sizes sz 16 and up. All three groups have petites and now, as you mentioned most have "short" "reg" and "tall".

Pants shouldn't be too hard for you because they can be shortened - all you need to do is get the waist size right. With regard to shortening, if it's not a heavy fabric you can use an iron on product called "stitch witchery" with maybe a stitch or two a the seams to get the job done rather than go to the trouble of having them altered.

As far as tops go the main issue a petite woman faces is sleeve length. If you can't find a petite but you think an extra small will fit through the body look for tops that are 3/4 length sleeves and you should be fine (I do this for my mother). Jackets are another issue - they really need to be petite unless they have a cuff that can be rolled back and still look good.

I'm not sure what kind of style your mother wears but there are many brands that carry petites from the tried and true old guard Talbots, the more modern Ann Taylor, the relaxed yet elegant Chicos and the sporty LL Bean and Eddie Bauer. JJill might also be worth looking at and of course there is always Nordstrom and Macy's.

Note: You will probably have more luck shopping online as most store only stock limited petite sections in their brick and mortar locations leaving more room for average sizes. Also, understand you will pay more for special sizing.

Good luck!

Edit: This is from the Talbots site - A cardigan that come in PP, PS, PM, PL and PXL. Check out the size chart for the size you need for your mom.

CABLE CHARMING CARDIGAN

Last edited by KQ; 12-13-2015 at 01:07 AM.

Check out the size chart for the size you need for your mom.

CABLE CHARMING CARDIGAN

See there they go again on that sizing chart- PS, PM, etc I understand, even learned her size in numbered pants-8 (even though that has changed over some time) but what the heck is PP size and why not PXS... just to be different considering the chart uses XS for other sizes, messing with standards. Fortunately she is not a PXS... or a PP.

If you find some other traditional cardigan sweaters, pass them on. So many of the sweaters are some big collared, or something that would veto purchase because of the style. Never heard of J Jill, I usually try local vs on line as hopefully I can get a helpful sale person to point me to the department and such. Macy's, Kohl's (at least they had PXS size), Penneys, usually the 3 main ones locally, sometimes Burlington's will come through with something she likes and does not return. She probably less of a sporty E. Bauer or the like for style (especially pants), but maybe sweaters would be OK.
    Last edited by RShea; 12-13-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Women's sizing is messed up. Hardly any consistency across brands

can't go wrong with llbean or lands end for parent clothes. classics mine always dig
    skid luxury

Juniors are for teens - they run in odd sizes up to sz 13. Misses are for 20 and up - they run in even sizes up to sz 14. Womans are for plus sizes sz 16 and up. All three groups have petites and now, as you mentioned most have "short" "reg" and "tall".
    WTF.

is this an american thing? women's sizing seems messed up everywhere but this is a new level of ridiculous for me.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Ooooh sparkly.... like the sparkly....... How about a Pandora bracelet? Does she have one of those? You can personalize them with charms and colors. You can add additional charms over the years as new life events occur.

My wife makes fun of those charm bracelets whenever a commercial for them are on TV. Bromontana, I'd go to Etsy.com and see if anything looks similar to what your wife has bought before.

Ask KQ Claus

Yea i was thinking that I would potentially cry if I ever rcv'd one of those pandoras as a gift (and not tears of joy) but didnt want to knock em if others like.
    Look cheesy/ generic to me and they are not cheap!
    But otherwise jewelry is usually a big hit
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Yea i was thinking that I would potentially cry if I ever rcv'd one of those pandoras as a gift (and not tears of joy) but didnt want to knock em if others like.
    Look cheesy/ generic to me and they are not cheap!
    But otherwise jewelry is usually a big hit
    I think charm bracelets have always been an "either you like it or you don't" thing like hoop earrings. I have a charm bracelet my parents started me when I was young. I don't wear it any more because I just don't wear jewelry all that much due to my lifestyle change but I still love it and what each charm represents. Back in the day when I got mine your choice was silver or gold bracelet and charms, maybe you'd get something with a gem or that had been enameled for color but other than that they were pretty monotone. Personally, I would LOVE a Pandora bracelet because I love glass beads and all the colors and I would esp. love having my special someone pick out charms for me but that is just me.

Bro - you know your girl. Ain't nothing wrong with a Pandora bracelet or similar charm bracelet if that is her thing and it well may be - they sell a lot of them. Having input from both sides is good but don't let the negatives sway you if you think she'd like it. Not knocking those who don't like it, just sayin.....

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    See there they go again on that sizing chart- PS, PM, etc I understand, even learned her size in numbered pants-8 (even though that has changed over some time) but what the heck is PP size and why not PXS... just to be different considering the chart uses XS for other sizes, messing with standards. Fortunately she is not a PXS... or a PP.

If you find some other traditional cardigan sweaters, pass them on. So many of the sweaters are some big collared, or something that would veto purchase because of the style. Never heard of J Jill, I usually try local vs on line as hopefully I can get a helpful sale person to point me to the department and such. Macy's, Kohl's (at least they had PXS size), Penneys, usually the 3 main ones locally, sometimes Burlington's will come through with something she likes and does not return. She probably less of a sporty E. Bauer or the like for style (especially pants), but maybe sweaters would be OK.
    As BB said - women's sizing is screwed and I didn't even mention vanity sizing (the practice of putting a smaller number on clothes to appeal to women's vanity so what was an 8 is now marked a 6. Stupid).

I kind thought that sweater might be a good choice - nice thing about the sweaters too is that you can roll the sleeves easily.

I hear you on wanting to stay local and having personalized help but remember some of the web sites have chat now so you can "talk" to someone and more often than not it's an actual woman located in the US who has first-hand knowledge of the item. Also, as I said some stores just don't stock all their petites so you might get in-store help but still have to order (I used to have to do this for tall sizes at Ann Taylor). Talbots actually has a "red phone" in the store that you can just pick up and order right there.