Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask KQ Claus

My wife is a wonderful anomaly for a woman. She rarely uses a cell phone, mostly for "I'll be late" or emergency calls. She has an old flip phone with a $100/yr pay as you go service that she never depletes before it expires. She "really" wants a smart phone to text & stuff, not that she she'll actually use it. (or she will use it too much until the novelty wears off and cost a fortune) Is there a smart phone & service you recommend that won't force me sign a contract and pay $50/month (or more) but gets decent connection service? I can't see paying $600+/yr for something she won't use.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    What should i get my soon to be 17 yo daughter for her December Birthday? $20 or less.
    Oh snap! That could be anything from beauty to clothes to electronics. Where do you live? Have big retailers close? Is it cold? Warm? Is she into sports? Horses? Help us out here!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Has she worn either? Perfume can be so funny. I had a GF who wore "Calvin" back in the 80s. I fell in love with the scent and bought some for myself but alas it did not smell as good on me (body chemistry and all). I think those kinds of changes happen more with the deeper musky notes than lighter citrus/floral fragrances.

That said, I'm a fan of No. 5. though I've never worn it myself. Here is some info I found on both fragrances to help you decide:

Coco is often said to be younger, sexier, more beguiling (Mysterious and provocative, a rich Oriental fragrance).

No. 5 is a base of rose and jasmine with a clean daring scent reminiscent of the pristine polar freshness. It is a classic. Chanel describes it as follows:

Created by Gabrielle Chanel to be the ultimate in femininity, N°5 has cast a spell on millions of women — and men — around the world. Inimitably luxurious and infinitely seductive, its legend lives, each year adding to its mystery, its depth, its desirability.
    tl;dr

j/k but if you're writing gift-giving advice for men, it should be a lot shorter. Unless it's about tires.

She hates sports except for snowboarding. I live in VT. It gets pretty damn cold here sometimes. Define "Big" retailers. I can't afford for her to be into horses. I already know what to get, i just wanted to hear your answers.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    My wife is a wonderful anomaly for a woman. She rarely uses a cell phone, mostly for "I'll be late" or emergency calls. She has an old flip phone with a $100/yr pay as you go service that she never depletes before it expires. She "really" wants a smart phone to text & stuff, not that she she'll actually use it. (or she will use it too much until the novelty wears off and cost a fortune) Is there a smart phone & service you recommend that won't force me sign a contract and pay $50/month (or more) but gets decent connection service? I can't see paying $600+/yr for something she won't use.
    Whoo boy... this is really reaching for me but I'll try and do some leg work for you. I will say that thought I would never text much until I got a smartphone and now I'd bet I text more than I call because that is what everyone else does so be prepared for her to become addicted to texting.

Check out these reports/reviews:

The Best Cell Phone plans for light users - Money Magazing

Smartphone and cell plan guide for 2015

2016 Best Cell Phone Provider Comparisons and Reviews

Consumer Reports Cell phones & services

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    tl;dr

j/k but if you're writing gift-giving advice for men, it should be a lot shorter. Unless it's about tires.
    Ah but this is where men go wrong! To reap the reward you must put in the effort! I'm here to help not tell.

What products does she use in the bath?
    No bath, two person shower

Does she have a favorite clothing item that is wearing out?
    I can't afford her clothing desires currently.

Has she mentioned anything in passing that could become a gift?....Maybe you could go into town where you live, have lunch/dinner and window shop along the way - see what she might be interested in then go back and get it. Those are the best presents - to know you were listening/paying attention/taking the time to care.
    I thought this is where you come in?

Maybe you could go into town where you live, have lunch/dinner and window shop along the way - see what she might be interested in then go back and get it.
    That's actually gold for the men out here in meatspace...sounds like a win-win for a date out and all sorts of ideas....heyyyyy, is this an attempt to get me to go shopping with her?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Not KQ Claus, but have some suggestions and questions that may work for her. Does she care about which carrier (Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile as examples) the service is on? There are a number of prepaid options with a bring your own device (purchase a used phone from Craigslist, Ebay etc.) or purchase one of their smart phone offerings that can stay month to month. Tracfone has a smart phone plan that you put funds on, offers 3 buckets of usage- Talk, texting and data. They give either 90 days of service or there are tricks to be able to supersize a purchase of minutes from them directly and be offered 1 year of service for an extra $50...

There are also monthly plans as low as $12 per month that include a bit of talk, text and data if you do not want to do the 90 day cards mentioned above by one of the Tracfone's other prepaid companies- Page Plus.

have i been a good boy?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

How do we really bring peace on Earth and good will to people?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Ribbed or studded?
    ah comeon, man.
    she's being a sport.
    you B 1 too.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    pretty sure the unspoken part is don't just get her something and then go skiing.
    unless it's something really nice
    that's the obvious man-answer...

So she says my Lawnmower is sexy, but how do I know if she really means it?
    "Can't you see..."

KQ, what can a maggot, that has spent all his cash on ski trips, get the girl that has everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    She hates sports except for snowboarding. I live in VT. It gets pretty damn cold here sometimes. Define "Big" retailers. I can't afford for her to be into horses. I already know what to get, i just wanted to hear your answers.
    I only asked about big retailers because I was thinking along the lines of a GC - kinda impersonal but good for teens esp. if you pair it with a small token gift.

I did buy for teen girls this year but they are country girls who are Adventists. Not exactly your average teens.

Given it is cold and where you live, unless she already has a pair I think boots would be nice:

'Wexley' Bootie

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    How do we really bring peace on Earth and good will to people?
    World Vision

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    So she says my Lawnmower is sexy, but how do I know if she really means it?
    If you bought a Bad Boy mower you know she means it:

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    KQ, what can a maggot, that has spent all his cash on ski trips, get the girl that has everything?
    Make her a gift certificate for a romantic dinner prepared by you complete with candles, music and a well appointed table. Make sure she has nothing to do but sip wine and watch you cook and clean.

Gift Certificate Template

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    have i been a good boy?
    Good as in an angel or good as in "hurts so bad it's good"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Is "All American Whopper" the best brand or are there others that ought to be considered?
    The Rabbit Habit Deluxe is a hands down winner

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    What winter pajamas offer both warm fuzzyness along with easy access for husbands? Hoodie/footie one pieces are bullshit.
    Honestly, think outside the box man! With a one piece, when you play strip poker it's an easy win!

Reading the reviews is mandatory.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Make her a gift certificate for a romantic dinner prepared by you complete with candles, music and a well appointed table. Make sure she has nothing to do but sip wine and watch you cook and clean.
    Thanks, but that is what I do pretty much every Friday night (well no candles), if I don't take her out......hmmm, I will continue to watch to see what else you got.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Honestly, think outside the box man! With a one piece, when you play strip poker it's an easy win!
    No, there is a need for that. Somebody make some flannel pjs with discreet comfortable crotch access and sell them to the northerners.

KQ: Budget Christmas vacation suggestions?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague