Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1920
    Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    A quick edit

"Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

It's insane how well Tioga Pass is skiing right now...

Mt. Dana & Ellery Bowl Report from yesterday:

Eastern Sierra, CA Backcountry Report: Mini-Spine & Tight-Choke Fun On Mt. Dana & Ellery Bowl | Tioga Pass

Sick edit, jskierpx!
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    This is killing me. They need to get Tioga open from the West side already, dammit.
    Looks like the road is now clear and open for through traffic two hours a day starting today. This likely means the full opening is imminent.
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/...ne-21-2019.htm

Any more beta on the saddlebag road and the suncups/avy debris along the shoreline? I may head up to the Conness/North Peak zone (aka the GMZ - Greenstone Mosquito Zone) later next week...

I drove up the saddlebag lake road on Wednesday and it only went about a quarter mile before it was all snow. There were some 4x4 tracks on the snow and the snow was only about 18" deep. Looked like it needed another week or more to me.
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by chill winston View Post
    Looks like the road is now clear and open for through traffic two hours a day starting today. This likely means the full opening is imminent.
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/...ne-21-2019.htm

Any more beta on the saddlebag road and the suncups/avy debris along the shoreline? I may head up to the Conness/North Peak zone (aka the GMZ - Greenstone Mosquito Zone) later next week...
    Yeah, saw that. Those opening times make no sense. But, this is the park service we are talking about so it's par for the course. Those times make it impossible for me to make it up there tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be riding singletrack in the woods on my dirt bike instead.

Skied north peak on Tuesday... sun cups are getting pretty yuge but avy debris was minimal along the west side of the lake. Still getting a decent refreeze and we found okay skiing in the coulior.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hey Guys,

Still crazy fun up on Tioga Pass on Saturday!

Eastern Sierra, CA Backcountry Report: “The Flume” Off 13,000′ Mt. Dana | Tioga Pass

This might have been my last tour of the season...

I'm curious about North Peak couloirs and Mt. Conness.

Anyone hit those up recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    Hey Guys,

Still crazy fun up on Tioga Pass on Saturday!

Eastern Sierra, CA Backcountry Report: “The Flume” Off 13,000′ Mt. Dana | Tioga Pass

This might have been my last tour of the season...

I'm curious about North Peak couloirs and Mt. Conness.

Anyone hit those up recently?
    My wife skied the Lookers right couloir on North peak and it had a big runnel in the middle, so you have to ski one side or the other.

Not prime.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Went up North peak right couloir yesterday, big runnel and a bunch of soon to be schrunds made it suboptimal. Suncup death on the approach. Road is plowed to the resort but there is a massive frontloader blocking the road at 120 - gotta walk or bike it for now.

Solstice and Ellery skied great on saturday. Topout on solstice is a bit funky and sketchy, and the cornices on skiers left of Ellery are massive. Alternate chute out and banana are still in. Powerhouse still looked decent.

I skied Conness Y/summit couloir a little over a week ago, and it was excellent. My guess is that it's still worth the trip especially if saddlebag lake road is open. Hey, Gopher, are you using the Insta360 One X to film?

Quote Originally Posted by jindustry View Post
    I skied Conness Y/summit couloir a little over a week ago, and it was excellent. My guess is that it's still worth the trip especially if saddlebag lake road is open. Hey, Gopher, are you using the Insta360 One X to film?
    i'm planning on heading up there this weekend. may skip north peak given the amazing runnel report, but hoping some corn still to be found on false white and maybe tick the Conness summit and schralp the Y (if only to experience the suncup lakeshore exit and get mauled by a few mozzies). Say hi if you see me camped out in the back of a jeep near Ellery

i'm planning on heading up there this weekend. may skip north peak given the amazing runnel report, but hoping some corn still to be found on false white and maybe tick the Conness summit and schralp the Y (if only to experience the suncup lakeshore exit and get mauled by a few mozzies). Say hi if you see me camped out in the back of a jeep near Ellery
    I skied False White with Myles Long on Saturday - you should be able to get your fill of corn and suncups all in one go.

Couldn't agree more....false white was a good ski and the sun cups kept it interesting. There were a few that took a higher route to get to the top that involved a long long sidehill...we stayed low along the creeks/lakes and then pretty much straight up to the summit, would probably recommend that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    I skied False White with Myles Long on Saturday - you should be able to get your fill of corn and suncups all in one go.

continuous snow line around 10.5k out of rock creek this weekend. suncupped to shit down low, but pretty fun corn above 11k. skied from 13k or so on bear creek spire. no mosquitoes at the trailhead yet with freezing temps overnight. that was nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49037D77-67D4-43AA-96C3-531A9BC9319F.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	738.0 KB 
ID:	286846

Name:	B1CB1E29-F1FA-4564-9B4D-034EEFBE7FA5.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	286847

Name:	56E60124-2098-410E-853C-9A23DAA6BD8C.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	286848

Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    Couldn't agree more....false white was a good ski and the sun cups kept it interesting. There were a few that took a higher route to get to the top that involved a long long sidehill...we stayed low along the creeks/lakes and then pretty much straight up to the summit, would probably recommend that approach.
    Your turns looked sweet from Ellery lake. What an aesthetic face.

This is a one photo TR from the Conness area today

Name:	5E8E1EAC-0575-4E72-A001-BBB8A2AF42D4.jpeg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	287289

LMAO! Guess I'll try for Shasta to end my season. Suncups suck balls.

I can confirm chill winston's synopsis:

Those photos make it look way better than it was

I was feeling pretty lame for not skiing this week, now not so much

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Brutal!
    Anybody get a look at Ellery Bowl?

Anyone had any luck avoiding sun cups on the East side? Was hoping to turn the long weekend into touring Tioga pass and taking a couple days at Mammoth. Way things are a looking, I might hit Lassen instead and go summer backpacking.

I wouldn't recommend this one...

Eastern Sierra, CA Report: 12,247′ North Peak | Heinous Suncups, Terrifying Bootpack, Scary Skiing

Avoiding suncup all together is likely not possible anymore - but I bet some of the best skiing left is still likely Solstice on Mt. Dana to Chute Out alternate in Ellery Bowl but even Ellery Bowl is starting to look pretty rough...

I skied Main Chute on Mt. Baldy in Alta, UT today, tho and it was money! No suncup because the chute is well skied and there is a groomed track from the bottom of the chute to the parking lot. You ski to within 50 yards of your car...

Hey Jindustry, I'm using the Rylo. It's easy and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kimchijajonshim View Post
    Anyone had any luck avoiding sun cups on the East side? Was hoping to turn the long weekend into touring Tioga pass and taking a couple days at Mammoth. Way things are a looking, I might hit Lassen instead and go summer backpacking.
    I was thinking the same thing. Going to Mammoth anyway, would like to get a tour in while I'm up there but if all the approaches are suncup death like that... yikes.