Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1858
  1. #1826
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    Posts
    466
    A quick edit

    http://skivino.com

    IG @Jskierpx

    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

    "Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

  2. #1827
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cali-for-ni-a
    Posts
    283
    It's insane how well Tioga Pass is skiing right now...

    Mt. Dana & Ellery Bowl Report from yesterday:

    Eastern Sierra, CA Backcountry Report: Mini-Spine & Tight-Choke Fun On Mt. Dana & Ellery Bowl | Tioga Pass

    Sick edit, jskierpx!
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

  3. #1828
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    This is killing me. They need to get Tioga open from the West side already, dammit.
    Looks like the road is now clear and open for through traffic two hours a day starting today. This likely means the full opening is imminent.
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/...ne-21-2019.htm

    Any more beta on the saddlebag road and the suncups/avy debris along the shoreline? I may head up to the Conness/North Peak zone (aka the GMZ - Greenstone Mosquito Zone) later next week...

  4. #1829
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cali-for-ni-a
    Posts
    283
    I drove up the saddlebag lake road on Wednesday and it only went about a quarter mile before it was all snow. There were some 4x4 tracks on the snow and the snow was only about 18" deep. Looked like it needed another week or more to me.
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

  5. #1830
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Central Valley
    Posts
    2,956
    Quote Originally Posted by chill winston View Post
    Looks like the road is now clear and open for through traffic two hours a day starting today. This likely means the full opening is imminent.
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/...ne-21-2019.htm

    Any more beta on the saddlebag road and the suncups/avy debris along the shoreline? I may head up to the Conness/North Peak zone (aka the GMZ - Greenstone Mosquito Zone) later next week...
    Yeah, saw that. Those opening times make no sense. But, this is the park service we are talking about so it's par for the course. Those times make it impossible for me to make it up there tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be riding singletrack in the woods on my dirt bike instead.

  6. #1831
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    squaw
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by chill winston View Post
    Any more beta on the saddlebag road and the suncups/avy debris along the shoreline? I may head up to the Conness/North Peak zone (aka the GMZ - Greenstone Mosquito Zone) later next week...
    Skied north peak on Tuesday... sun cups are getting pretty yuge but avy debris was minimal along the west side of the lake. Still getting a decent refreeze and we found okay skiing in the coulior.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #1832
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cali-for-ni-a
    Posts
    283
    Hey Guys,

    Still crazy fun up on Tioga Pass on Saturday!

    Eastern Sierra, CA Backcountry Report: “The Flume” Off 13,000′ Mt. Dana | Tioga Pass

    This might have been my last tour of the season...

    I'm curious about North Peak couloirs and Mt. Conness.

    Anyone hit those up recently?
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

  8. #1833
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    Hey Guys,

    Still crazy fun up on Tioga Pass on Saturday!

    Eastern Sierra, CA Backcountry Report: “The Flume” Off 13,000′ Mt. Dana | Tioga Pass

    This might have been my last tour of the season...

    I'm curious about North Peak couloirs and Mt. Conness.

    Anyone hit those up recently?
    My wife skied the Lookers right couloir on North peak and it had a big runnel in the middle, so you have to ski one side or the other.

    Not prime.

    Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

  9. #1834
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    153
    Went up North peak right couloir yesterday, big runnel and a bunch of soon to be schrunds made it suboptimal. Suncup death on the approach. Road is plowed to the resort but there is a massive frontloader blocking the road at 120 - gotta walk or bike it for now.

    Solstice and Ellery skied great on saturday. Topout on solstice is a bit funky and sketchy, and the cornices on skiers left of Ellery are massive. Alternate chute out and banana are still in. Powerhouse still looked decent.

  10. #1835
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9
    I skied Conness Y/summit couloir a little over a week ago, and it was excellent. My guess is that it's still worth the trip especially if saddlebag lake road is open. Hey, Gopher, are you using the Insta360 One X to film?

  11. #1836
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by jindustry View Post
    I skied Conness Y/summit couloir a little over a week ago, and it was excellent. My guess is that it's still worth the trip especially if saddlebag lake road is open. Hey, Gopher, are you using the Insta360 One X to film?
    i'm planning on heading up there this weekend. may skip north peak given the amazing runnel report, but hoping some corn still to be found on false white and maybe tick the Conness summit and schralp the Y (if only to experience the suncup lakeshore exit and get mauled by a few mozzies). Say hi if you see me camped out in the back of a jeep near Ellery

  12. #1837
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by chill winston View Post
    i'm planning on heading up there this weekend. may skip north peak given the amazing runnel report, but hoping some corn still to be found on false white and maybe tick the Conness summit and schralp the Y (if only to experience the suncup lakeshore exit and get mauled by a few mozzies). Say hi if you see me camped out in the back of a jeep near Ellery
    I skied False White with Myles Long on Saturday - you should be able to get your fill of corn and suncups all in one go.

  13. #1838
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    278
    Couldn't agree more....false white was a good ski and the sun cups kept it interesting. There were a few that took a higher route to get to the top that involved a long long sidehill...we stayed low along the creeks/lakes and then pretty much straight up to the summit, would probably recommend that approach.



    Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    I skied False White with Myles Long on Saturday - you should be able to get your fill of corn and suncups all in one go.

  14. #1839
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    santa monica, ca
    Posts
    82
    continuous snow line around 10.5k out of rock creek this weekend. suncupped to shit down low, but pretty fun corn above 11k. skied from 13k or so on bear creek spire. no mosquitoes at the trailhead yet with freezing temps overnight. that was nice.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49037D77-67D4-43AA-96C3-531A9BC9319F.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	738.0 KB 
ID:	286846
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1CB1E29-F1FA-4564-9B4D-034EEFBE7FA5.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	286847
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56E60124-2098-410E-853C-9A23DAA6BD8C.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	286848

  15. #1840
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    Couldn't agree more....false white was a good ski and the sun cups kept it interesting. There were a few that took a higher route to get to the top that involved a long long sidehill...we stayed low along the creeks/lakes and then pretty much straight up to the summit, would probably recommend that approach.
    Your turns looked sweet from Ellery lake. What an aesthetic face.

  16. #1841
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    147
    This is a one photo TR from the Conness area today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E8E1EAC-0575-4E72-A001-BBB8A2AF42D4.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	287289

  17. #1842
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,156
    LMAO! Guess I'll try for Shasta to end my season. Suncups suck balls.

  18. #1843
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    207
    I can confirm chill winston's synopsis:




  19. #1844
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    147
    Those photos make it look way better than it was

  20. #1845
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,544
    I was feeling pretty lame for not skiing this week, now not so much

    Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

  21. #1846
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8
    Brutal!
    Anybody get a look at Ellery Bowl?

  22. #1847
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    31
    Anyone had any luck avoiding sun cups on the East side? Was hoping to turn the long weekend into touring Tioga pass and taking a couple days at Mammoth. Way things are a looking, I might hit Lassen instead and go summer backpacking.

  23. #1848
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cali-for-ni-a
    Posts
    283
    I wouldn't recommend this one...

    Eastern Sierra, CA Report: 12,247′ North Peak | Heinous Suncups, Terrifying Bootpack, Scary Skiing

    Avoiding suncup all together is likely not possible anymore - but I bet some of the best skiing left is still likely Solstice on Mt. Dana to Chute Out alternate in Ellery Bowl but even Ellery Bowl is starting to look pretty rough...

    I skied Main Chute on Mt. Baldy in Alta, UT today, tho and it was money! No suncup because the chute is well skied and there is a groomed track from the bottom of the chute to the parking lot. You ski to within 50 yards of your car...
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

  24. #1849
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cali-for-ni-a
    Posts
    283
    Hey Jindustry, I'm using the Rylo. It's easy and fun.
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

  25. #1850
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by kimchijajonshim View Post
    Anyone had any luck avoiding sun cups on the East side? Was hoping to turn the long weekend into touring Tioga pass and taking a couple days at Mammoth. Way things are a looking, I might hit Lassen instead and go summer backpacking.
    I was thinking the same thing. Going to Mammoth anyway, would like to get a tour in while I'm up there but if all the approaches are suncup death like that... yikes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •