Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1920
    ^ Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by phattypowpow View Post

- Park at lower gate on 120 and hike up Gibbs Canyon to the Kidney Chute or Gibbs N Face. Any idea how painful Gibbs Canyon is right now? Or maybe PP road to East Peak/The End/Dana Plateau?

- I'm assuming the Mendenhall is kind of a PITA for access and/or hammered by now?

- Mt Wood off June Lake Road. TH is at 7000 - sounds like there will be a lot of dirt walking.

Mendenhall is in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	men.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	283090

Huge pillar detached on the lower portion of Pinner, catastrophic back there, and very spooky. Picture does not due it justice.

Name:	rip.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	888.2 KB 
ID:	283091

Morrison col looked titties.

Name:	col.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	283092

Can get pretty high in Horse Meadows for Gibbs. Went up Power Plant Chutes and that rapidly turned pear shaped. As SFSkier mentioned, found surprising number of bear tracks in multiple drainages. In Wyoming you always ski with a sidearm. I am not sure of the pertinent regulations in California, but I have no doubt that that they are as restrictive as possible, targeted to the lowest common denominator, and written by a mongoloid.
    Last edited by telelebowski; 05-19-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Been awhile since I lived up there and fished the Sierra weekly, but open carry should be legal on NF or BLM land. When crossing National Park or Wilderness, arms must be disassembled (not just unloaded). Your call on how to play that when alone in remote areas, it's not as if Rangers are searching backpacks.

Got chased away from a high country lake by an extremely aggressive adult bear once, likely a problem Park bear that had been relocated. We jumped in the truck (Dusy Ershim 4WD trail) and got the hell out of there, since even .40 might not put it down in time and we didn't have the 12ga with 3" mag slugs that trip. Aggressive bears like that are really unusual though.

Big can of bear spray is lighter and possibly more effective (unless you're downwind), so I'd go with that for ski trips.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-19-2019 at 12:10 PM.

I think having a gun along--or not being allowed to have one despite wanting it--creates the need to justify having a gun. I lived in the high country in the Sierra for months on end year after year in a major bear area, and several times had to chase bears away from goodies they really wanted, yet never once did I think I needed a gun. I've camped in places where the aggro bears are dumped to get them away from tourists, and had them wander through my camp, under my hammock while I was sleeping, and loitering on the edges of the camp as I packed to leave, standing up tall to scare me . . . but I didn't think I needed a gun. No bear ever chased me (it was usually the other way around), but in that situation I could imagine thinking a gun might be handy. But after all these decades of living in a lot of different places, I can't think of a single situation that couldn't have been made significantly worse by adding a handgun. I've watched people carrying grab at their guns for no good reason at all just because it was there and seemed to them a good option, over nothing more serious than calling them on their (and their dogs's) bullshit.
    A quick mental survey of everyone I know who skis routinely around the eastside yields nobody who carries a gun. The people in the Sierra I know who do routinely carry a gun are horse packers--but that's in case they need to shoot a horse that hurts itself. For bears they just have the newest guy on the crew sleep on the food.

skin-ski to the car at 9.8k' out of rock creek. found heinous trap crust below 11.5k or so, with nice heavy spring pow up high on north/east facing.

What's a trap crust?

Great trip.

This is my favorite couloir on the east side.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by telelebowski View Post
    In Wyoming you always ski with a sidearm. I am not sure of the pertinent regulations in California, but I have no doubt that that they are as restrictive as possible, targeted to the lowest common denominator, and written by a mongoloid.
    Three things: (1) People in Wyoming always ski with a sidearm? (2) Mongoloid??? WTF? (3) Bears are not a meaningful risk in the Sierra. You'd be just as safe carrying a life jacket, condom, or tinfoil hat around here.

Anyhoo, sick video, bbrianburke. Great TR, phattypowpow. Some pics from yesterday from Gilbert and Trident . . . .

The weather started somewhat windy but sunny.

The first line. A couple folks got it on Friday, but it was still pretty sweet yesterday.

It was soft, wintery pow.

Trident had great snow, but the storm arrived as we climbed it. It was howling outside the couloir.

Like bbrianburke found in Rock Creek, everything under 11.5k consisted of various degrees of breakable crust.

that looks darn fine akbruin. good job getting up and down before the weather. that shit closed in fast....

As SFSkier mentioned, found surprising number of bear tracks in multiple drainages. In Wyoming you always ski with a sidearm. I am not sure of the pertinent regulations in California, but I have no doubt that that they are as restrictive as possible, targeted to the lowest common denominator, and written by a mongoloid.
    hmmm.
    i admit that i don't have a clue but i'm gonna go on a rant specifically about that which i have no clue, and call my hosts mongoloids while i'm at it.

maybe choke on a bag of dick cheneys?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Obviously, none of you gentlemen are golfers. Carrying a sidearm is de rigeur while skiing on the resort, especially with the proliferation of snowboarders. Since I own a Sherpa named Sylvester that I won in a hovel outside Tingri when some daft llama called banco, and the first thing I did after unpacking him from the steamer trunk on his arrival in America, after having his scrotum shorn, was to have him professionally hobbled so that he can never outpace me over any distance, it is not really any of my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    hmmm.
    i admit that i don't have a clue but i'm gonna go on a rant specifically about that which i have no clue, and call my hosts mongoloids while i'm at it.

maybe choke on a bag of dick cheneys?
    Maybe they should carry sidearms for poorly trained ski dogs that bite... PD, don't you have one of those shitty dogs that bite skiers? Lot of stink in the Tahoe thread over that... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    I've camped in places where the aggro bears are dumped to get them away from tourists, and had them wander through my camp, under my hammock while I was sleeping, and loitering on the edges of the camp as I packed to leave, standing up tall to scare me . . . but I didn't think I needed a gun.
    That's nothing compared to the one I mentioned, which was running at top speed around the small lake toward us, mad-dogging us while snarling and growling like you've never heard or imagined. Granted that's the only bad experience I've had, but it scared the shit out of several full-grown and well-armed men who had no intention of waiting for it, and kept an eye on the rearview mirror while escaping as fast as we could on a rough 4x4 trail. We informed the ranger station when we got back to civilization; the thought of that particular bear encountering someone (or heaven forbid a family) unarmed or on foot was terrifying. The tired trope of gun owners looking for a reason to shoot something is BS, virtually no one wants to kill something for no reason.

Bottom line: carry bear spray if concerned.

Nice work BrianBurke!

Eastside Conditions Thread

East side reports continue to deliver!!

I find that a whippet is the perfect spring tool for bears. Lighting farts in their general direction has had good success, too. blowing a little ganj smoke in their ears will mellow them out....
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 05-20-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    Maybe they should carry sidearms for poorly trained ski dogs that bite....
    He already got shot.
    Little Slide Canyon, 2017. The gunman was never found.
    Name:  eastside-twinlakes--051.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  236.6 KB

Name:  eastside-twinlakes-052.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  241.5 KB

Name:  eastside-twinlakes-053.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  249.3 KB

Name:  eastside-twinlakes-117.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  254.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    He already got shot.
    Little Slide Canyon, 2017. The gunman was never found.
    So you have a history of being a shitty dog owner/trainer. Maybe you should stop getting dogs.

Stop it. This is a good thread. Post TRs, photos, beta, questions, etc. Don't contaminate it with babble about stupid shit.

Amen. Thanks Frank for all the damn stoke you provide. Doubt I could even keep up with you these days. Makes me a little jealous, but mostly stoked to see all these TRs up in one place.

Heading to mammoth friday night and getting stoke!

Guess I need to get a gun to ski with, damn california is rough..... Anyone been up to tioga pass or the dana plateau recently? Any good recommendations for a good ski tour to take the wife on?

Mendenhall is in.

Name:	men.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	283090
    mmmmmm did you ski it? how's the ice in the middle?

Brutah: Check the weather. I'm heading down with the family for MDW, and I'm seeing snow and wind in the 7-day forecasts. Granted, that could change in five days. But storm days make it tough this time of year because (a) you probably want some trees for protection but (b) it's already late-May which means most tree-skiing is too low elevation. That said, folks got good powder skiing around Mammoth Crest (e.g., Red Cone) and the Sherwins during this last storm without too much dry hiking. I think the stuff near June (Dream Mountain) would also work.

If the weather opens, Mt. Wood or Morrison Col are excellent tours. Both would require some dry hiking. Dana and False White are also great moderate-ish tours if Tioga opens to Yosemite. The stuff around South Lake (Hurd, etc.) is in great shape. The Buttermilks are also excellent, but you'll probably want a higher clearance 4x4.

Sonora Pass was supposed to be opening this weekend, but with the weather, I'm not sure that it will.

If Mendenhall still goes, I'm guessing it'll be 50% full of debris after the first sunny day. Could be wrong though.

Ya I'm not too stoked on the weather, but then again I don't know what this means "Rain and snow showers likely. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 44." Seems like the weatherman doesn't have a good hold on this weekends weather yet except that there will be instabilities.....

we're mainly planning to ski mammoth but would be fun to get a tour in.

Sonora Pass was supposed to open thru east-west? That would sure cut my drive down a ton. Even if only for the way home.

Been watching the weather, and it keeps on holding to the chance of snow showers forecast. Saturday, NOAA calls for likely.

Wondering if the resort would be worth skiing. Mid winter like with wind blown buff or dust on coral reef chatter crunch. Don't really want to drive for the latter, and would better spend my time touring around KW. Shorter drive and sleep indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    So you have a history of being a shitty dog owner/trainer. Maybe you should stop getting dogs.
    what on earth are you talking about? it was some levity with actual pictures from the east side. no, he's never been shot and i don't just happen to have pictures of him getting shot. he is clumsy though.

So many great pics, TRs and tours, you guys all rock. Glad for my lazy ass to ski it vicariously though you.

Enough gun talk until someone loses their Glock like that kid in the east coast thread did a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Sonora Pass was supposed to open thru east-west? That would sure cut my drive down a ton. Even if only for the way home.

Been watching the weather, and it keeps on holding to the chance of snow showers forecast. Saturday, NOAA calls for likely.

Wondering if the resort would be worth skiing. Mid winter like with wind blown buff or dust on coral reef chatter crunch. Don't really want to drive for the latter, and would better spend my time touring around KW. Shorter drive and sleep indoors.
    Yeah, CalTrans was trying to get Sonora Pass open by Memorial Day Weekend (per Mono County's facebook feed). I wouldn't completely rely on it though. It seems like they've been pretty conservative in the past about opening either 108 or 120 when there's weather forecasted.