Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1920
    ^^^That's awesome. I'd like to get that one eventually.

Rod- What whatsupdoc said.

Yup, still my favorite thread. Thanks, guys!
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Nice shots Skeeze, that looks great. Pika looks like a sweet descent.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Sheesh that’s fantastic.

What was the snow in the pinner like?
    Good soft snow up high, warming pow. There was some shitty avy debris in the middle from all the feeder chutes shedding snow. Some corn down low. All in all, pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by phattypowpow View Post
    I'm a Sierra spring skiing noob from WY but I've hiked and backpacked there the last several years in the autumn, vowing to come back where there's snow. I need to be in LA on May 16 (Th) and it seems silly to make the drive without bringing the skis for some E Sierra adventure. All these TRs look great and there's a ton of snow up high. Snow level also looks higher than I would have expected from such an epic winter. Am I going to be hiking for many miles of dirt to access the goods in mid May? Not that I'm adverse to that (or big vert) but I just want to know what I'm signing up for.

Of course, a lot can happen in 6 weeks but general thoughts and advice are appreciated. Any zones that are more desirable or to be avoided that time of year? Between my adventures on foot and reading the shit of the backcountry skiing the Eastern Sierras book and lots of maps, I have a decent lay of the land but theory and reality don't always intersect. Thanks in advance and I promise to take whatever local knowledge you're willing share to my grave.

Oh yeah, my main ride is a 2001 Chevy Astro which can handle a little gnar but not too much. If it's worth my while to take a burlier rig, I can probably sweet talk/bribe my GF into letting me take her Xterra. There's no beating the 'Stro for camping out, though.
    Skiing should still be pretty awesome come mid-May. Plenty of snow up high that can be accessed from high THs.

South Lake, Rock Creek, Virginia Lakes, and Onion Valley all have good skiing with higher starting elevations. You'll probably be skinning from near the car at all of these places, with shorter dirt walks. Other THs like Big Pine, Twin Lakes, McGee, and Pine Creek will have some more dirt walking, but that's pretty typical in Mid-May. They should all have good skiing up high still. Basically besides the stuff that rises up from the desert (like Birch, Tinemaha, and Tom) it should still be good to go that time of year without too much suffering.

Tioga Pass probably won't be open that early this year. If it is that should be high on your list.

The 4x4 would be helpful if you plan on accessing stuff up Buttermilks Rd like Emerson and Locke or McMurray Meadows Rd like Cardinal and Split. The skiing is sweet around the Buttermilks, so it could be nice to have 4x4. But it's also nice to have a camping rig. You can pretty much camp anywhere on the E side. You'll still have plenty to ski without a 4x4 vehicle.

The snowpack is fat and snow levels are lower than usual. Photos of Tom can be deceiving, that stuff melts out quickly even in big years.

Tom looks awesome, I have dreamed about doing that one and getting excellent conditions, nice work. Pinner too.

Nice Pika photos, looking deep back there.

phattypowpow for early May most likely best conditions and access will be between Bishop area north to June Lakes area. Although a couple spring storms can smooth the southern stuff out nicely.

Nice work and conditions score on Tom.

Doc and akb, you guys make me hate myself for living in SF. It is a serious bitch living at sea level and trying to be in shape for long spring days at high elevations, not to mention finding the time do drive 6+ hours on either end.

Love your posts but they induce so much envy.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Doc and akb, you guys make me hate myself for living in SF. It is a serious bitch living at sea level and trying to be in shape for long spring days at high elevations, not to mention finding the time do drive 6+ hours on either end.

Love your posts but they induce so much envy.
    Thanks. I took a huge paycut to move to Tahoe and ended any opportunity of career prestige. Also, I miss many things about SF. But it was a good move.

Eastside Conditions Thread

Wow, between you ant meter-man making the move from SF to Tahoe, I need to seriously up my lobbying efforts w the wife. Thx for the motivation!

Plus everything that Jorion wrote!

can anyone recommend a good bootfitter in the eastern sierra?

NOT!!!!!!!!

methinks this thread will be banging this spring n its off to a great start. seeing as the zones are stacked and everyone has a phone and the fact that even a tech idiot like me can post pics through their phone on the tgr app, theres no reason for it not to be all fucking time+++

Yeah, I’d move to the Sierra in a second if my partner wanted to/I thought she’d be happy there. My only hope is that it’s doubtful we can afford to have kids here and that would be way more feasible in Reno or even Tahoe.

Anyway, happy to see the best thread on tgr getting back going in earnest. Next time I make it that way I’ll actually remember to bring my camera and GoPro charger.

As long as we have thread sway and the Tahoe boot fitting thread is preoccupied with other matters of great importance, let me say that Tahoe is a great place for kids to grow up. For example, taking my 12-year-old out on Saturday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06C75D9A-A424-4151-A54F-3223246F08D3.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	703.8 KB 
ID:	277017

Name:	DF1E3F21-9AE2-4554-86B4-AC1E726BCD15.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	887.4 KB 
ID:	277018

Name:	63EF6A74-449D-464B-9133-4684A48E814A.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	845.7 KB 
ID:	277019

Name:	62D3B073-4AFC-4FE8-B680-FC5ACC5B727D.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	904.8 KB 
ID:	277020

Meanwhile my son was free skiing with his ski team. My kids have it so damn good.

But to bring the thread back on topic, I can’t wait to leave Tahoe to ski the Eastern Sierra again.

Yeah, that’s fantastic. I wish I had been brought up as a skier. Lucky kids!

Better head south with your son before you find yourself holding him back.

I skied Patterson today from the Sweetwater Summit side. Good times. It's not exactly a roadside hit, but the terrain is solid back there. Snow was better than expected. It was 17.1 mi and 8266' on the day (6:54 car-car).

In the first pic Matterhorn is on the far left. Name:  15543419921932.jpeg
Views: 667
Size:  70.7 KBName:  15543419096161.jpeg
Views: 593
Size:  43.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	15543293346920.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	277146

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I skied Patterson today from the Sweetwater Summit side. Good times. It's not exactly a roadside hit, but the terrain is solid back there. Snow was better than expected. It was 17.1 mi and 8266' on the day (6:54 car-car).Name:  15543419921932.jpeg
Views: 667
Size:  70.7 KBName:  15543419096161.jpeg
Views: 593
Size:  43.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	15543293346920.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	277146

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    I want to be you when I grow up (and get in the shape I've never been in before).

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

He chose his handle name...wisely

Looks like I’ll have the month of May off. A few new things to do
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

noicely evan+++ always wondered what that terrain is like up there

u dont have to quote every single picture again rod. cmon maaaaaan

that's where vested was supposed to heli ski
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I took the slightly longer East Walker River route home a couple weeks ago and looked at those mountains. Very cool.

Lot of great stuff here!
    Rod, nice job on the hulk. I've done everything else around there, but that's still on my list. maybe this weekend...

AKB, Doc, nice pics from Tom/Pinner. Man i just remember that ridge walk to the summit taking forever... all of the false summits. So from your pics skinning, it looks like the flat aspects were pretty consolidated to about 10k or so - is that right? what's your take on direct south stuff up high (12-14k) when you went, had it gone the cycle back then? obviously the north hadn't and there's been some new snow, but trying to figure out what i'll find this weekend. looks like further south(big pine, etc.) aren't getting much from tomorrow's system.

Skeeze/Climbereven - nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    noicely evan+++ always wondered what that terrain is like up there

u dont have to quote every single picture again rod. cmon maaaaaan
    On my phone, you see just s bit of the quoted post, and the first picture.

Do you see more than this?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mr. hankey View Post
    Lot of great stuff here!
    but trying to figure out what i'll find this weekend. looks like further south(big pine, etc.) aren't getting much from tomorrow's system.
    Anyone have an idea where the snow-line is on Onion Valley Rd?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    Anyone have an idea where the snow-line is on Onion Valley Rd?
    judging from the whitney cam its somewhere between 8k and 9k. headed up there this weekend, will report.