Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1920
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Nice photos, splitter. 2_1_3, I recognize the area but have no idea what you actually skied. Cool photos in any event. Nice job on Johnson, Jack Burton.

Took the kid for a small tour up McGee yesterday. There's still a snow crossing below McGee North Chutes and decent coverage in the area, although it didn't seem to get any of the recent snow that Mammoth got.
    Attachment 283955

The snow wasn't powder, corn, mank, or ice. I'm not sure what to call it.
    Attachment 283956

But it was carveable and fairly fun.
    Attachment 283962

Okay, some of the snow was more educational than fun.
    Attachment 283957

A quick hike to the car.
    Attachment 283959

All's well that ends at Jolly Kone.
    Attachment 283960
    That is stoke of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by bbrianburke View Post
    continuous snow line is pretty high up the north fork of big pine creek. as of last weekend just below first lake, almost 10k.

palisade crest is looking pretty sweet tho
    Attachment 284655
    Rocking the Hyperlite. That the 3400? How do you like it for touring?

Kids stoke is awesome! My knee is not good enough for a late spring tour with my kid this year (maybe a summer tour, though!)

For the sake of conversation, the trident chutes on mt Thompson are (looker’s left to right): Knudtson couloir, Smrz couloir, and Harrington couloir. There’s also the moynier couloir nearby. Still curious about the non-moynier couloir, though I’m thinking there’s an inside joke (or argument) involved.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	284751

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Kids stoke is awesome! My knee is not good enough for a late spring tour with my kid this year (maybe a summer tour, though!)

For the sake of conversation, the trident chutes on mt Thompson are (looker’s left to right): Knudtson couloir, Smrz couloir, and Harrington couloir. There’s also the moynier couloir nearby. Still curious about the non-moynier couloir, though I’m thinking there’s an inside joke (or argument) involved.Click image for larger version. 

Moynier is pretty short, it ends in a choke.

The non is pretty rocky currently.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Moynier is pretty short, it ends in a choke.

The non is pretty rocky currently.

Thanks. So you’re saying there’s a 5th couloir? I’ve only been at the tridents and didn’t wrap around the corner to look at the moynier.

Thanks. So you’re saying there’s a 5th couloir? I’ve only been at the tridents and didn’t wrap around the corner to look at the moynier.
    Yes, a few hundred feet North, first the non, then moynier.

Yes, a few hundred feet North, first the non, then moynier.

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Which book is that from? Lots of good detail.

My guess is the deal with the "Non-Moynier" is that it probably doesn't form water ice later in the season whereas all the other ones (trident/Moynier) do, so rock/ice climbing guides don't include it. But the Non-Moynier becomes skiable in the right conditions, and since it's so close to the "real" Moynier it's easy to confuse the two. But it sounds like the real Moynier is never skiable due to the chockstone. So in the eastside ski guidebook, they came up with the "Non-Moynier" name to distinguish it and yet also indicate that it's very close to the Moynier. Hey, it's better than some of the other names they came up with (like "Unknown chute").

I have this book:

It does mention the line but not in nearly as much detail as yours. There is an interesting story about it though:

Hidden in the middle of the face to the right is a narrow ice couloir that is steeper than the ones to the left. The crux is passing a large chockstone two-thirds of the way up. the upper part of the couloir offers excellent climbing on steep water ice. John Moynier made an ascent of this gully in August of 1990 with Scott Andrews. They were so engrossed in the climbing of the final chimney, they hadn't noticed that a thunderstorm was building. As a blanket of dark clouds rolled over the slot at the top of the chimney, their ice axes began humming. The mounting flux of static electricity soon had the rocks of the chimney humming and sparks leaping from Moynier's axe. The pair dashed across the summit plateau and scrambled quickly down the north ridge. Just as they reached the relative safety of the glacier, lightning began striking the summit.
    We were out there a few weeks ago. Initially we were going to check out Gilbert, but got out there and saw a guy topping out in it so we went over to Thompson. Looked back over and the dude dropped Gilbert in what basically looked like a straight line. Then he skinned over and caught up to us climbing Thompson. Turns out it was Nick Russell (of course). On the way over to Thompson, we ran into a guy who had skied a SW facing line directly across from the Non-Moynier and he told us it didn't look filled in enough to ski, and showed pictures. So naturally, that's where Nick and my buddy Lucas went. I didn't even look at the line, I'm glad I didn't after seeing the POV!

Lucas' POV of the Non-Moynier:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BxavHl_HAmD/

Nick's POV dropping Gilbert:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BxbCv3il3uo/

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Which book is that from? Lots of good detail.
    ]
    Peaks, Passes, and Trails -RJ Secor

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for sharing the IG posts. Now I see the moynier and non-moynier. The non-moynier looks fun, though short skis seemed mandatory.... :P

I did not know that moynier and fiddler came out with a new edition.

Here’s the original text:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	980.4 KB 
ID:	284958
    From the original edition:

Name:	IMG_0810.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	453.6 KB 
ID:	284959

I have another old edition moynier book:

Name:	IMG_0811.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	670.6 KB 
ID:	284960
    That describes another classic tour that has been on my list forever, “great western divide tour.” A coworker did it a long time ago (like 99 or 00) with her husband and some friends. They would tour half day and ski a large line near their camp every afternoon. Cesnalis posted some FB photos of some of the area recently. Anybody on here done this tour?

Name:	IMG_0812.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	725.6 KB 
ID:	284961

any reports from tioga since opening to top?!?

I think Miles posted a big update on facespace

Powerhouse is burned out at the bottom, probably easier to go up the plateau, ski the steep stuff and climb back out .
    Snow coverage is good by the gate and the restrooms, to go to either the plateau or Mt Dana.

After skiing the east chutes off the plateau, huge slog down, again easier to ski them, then climb back out. As v bowl is snow free

This is from this morning, i went by, but didn't feel motivated to ski.
    Windy and grey. Snow was probably ok.

Saddlebag road unplowed.
    North peak should be in good condition.

Powerhouse is burned out at the bottom, probably easier to go up the plateau, ski the steep stuff and climb back out .
    Snow coverage is good by the gate and the restrooms, to go to either the plateau or Mt Dana.

After skiing the east chutes off the plateau, huge slog down, again easier to ski them, then climb back out. As v bowl is snow free

We skied via powerhouse chutes and then all the way down to the plant on Wed and Thurs. Currently an easy 10 minute walk to Poole power plant. That tongue of snow is going quick though.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I think Miles posted a big update on facespace
    https://snowbrains.com/eastern-sierr...s-tioga-pass1/
    Great day out.

Crampons needed?

Boot crampons stayed in the bag for that lap

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    We skied via powerhouse chutes and then all the way down to the plant on Wed and Thurs. Currently an easy 10 minute walk to Poole power plant. That tongue of snow is going quick though.

https://snowbrains.com/eastern-sierr...s-tioga-pass1/
    Great day out.
    Thanks.

How true about being there to get lucky.

I went in Friday, and it was windy, cloudy, and i was thoroughly unmotivated.

I guess after skiing so many days on the east side, i was feeling a bit burned out.
    Going back there though.

Recent Eastern Sierra Backcountry Reports.

Hope these are helpful:

June 6th: Mt. Dana → Dana Couloir → Power House Chutes | Tioga Pass http://bit.ly/2R0IzzC

June 5th: Power House Chutes - Tioga Pass http://bit.ly/2QWPTMz

June 4th: North Couloir of Mt. Emerson http://bit.ly/2QY3NOr

June 2nd: The Third Pillar - Tioga Pass http://bit.ly/2QYmYrA

June 1st: Zebra Chute, Mt. Emerson http://bit.ly/2QRC4yO
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Ryan,

I've got your picket!

Shoot me an email.

I'm in Mammoth all of June.

contact@snowbrains.com

Thanks
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Damn, great pics Gopher!

Dana couloir and ellery skied fantastic today. Dropped Dana at 12:30 or so. Minimal suncups skinning from the park gate and smooth snow in glacier canyon.

Apparently part of a big cornice in chute out fell at 11 today. Talked to some dudes who skied third pillar today and they said it was good.

I also skied some mellower stuff the last couple days since I’m out of shape and had only toured once in two months prior to the weekend. South Peak NE face still has snow to the road and good snow to the runout. Descended that at noon and it was pretty ideal. Friday evening did a quick run off of no name on the drive up. Skied well at 5pm with the cool air temps. There’s still lots of worthy skiing around. I’m really happy to have had a great weekend of skiing after work really making spring skiing impossible this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Apparently part of a big cornice in chute out fell at 11 today. Talked to some dudes who skied third pillar today and they said it was good.
    Ha. That was probably me and Skiwald (Team Incline). The cornice apparently fell into Ellery Bowl around 11 a.m. There are some car-sized cornices still hanging over Ellery Bowl, I wouldn't recommend getting too close to that side of the bowl, particularly as it heats up.

Booting to the top of Ellery Bowl around 8:30ish required a bit of front pointing. I was glad to have both an ice axe and whippet in each hand. You can see the debris from earlier cornice-fall below.

Name:	IMG_3476.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	285261

Edit: I thought this line was Liberty but was wrong. It leads to pain and misery.

Name:	IMG_3480.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	285262

I thought it was going to be ridiculously hot and sunny, but there were a few clouds and a bit of haze that kept things from softening early in the morning. When we dropped Third Pillar at about 10:30, the snow was mostly soft except for the middle, shaded part, which was firm but edgeable. The corn on the apron was excellent. (Thanks JimW and Gopher for the beta!)

Name:	IMG_3497.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	285263

Climbing back up.

Name:	IMG_3510.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	285264

We had wanted to ski the direct line on Chute Out, but there was a disgruntled-looking cornice guarding the entrance and threatening to squash any would-be skiers.

Name:	IMG_3529.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	285265

So we took the alternate entrance.

Name:	IMG_3532.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	285266

The snow was excellent until the very bottom, where it got a little sticky near the flats.

Name:	IMG_3544.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	285267

Ran into Jack Burton and his crew (and Jorion?) at the bottom for some beer, followed by a Jolly Kone stop. All in all, conditions are unbelievably good for mid-June (mid-June!), although I suspect they will deteriorate rapidly in the coming week.

Is 2019 a better ski year than 2017? I vote yes, but only by a small margin.
    Last edited by AKbruin; 06-11-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Nice work! How was booting up third pillar? Steep af???
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Nice work! How was booting up third pillar? Steep af???
    Not bad. Most of the time I could get more than half my boot in. The top 300 feet of Ellery was sketchier climbing IMO.

Ha, it’s a small ski nerd world. Wish I had stopped to chat more but was in full get-home mode. That was me if you gave my two friends cans of deschutes. Thanks for the beers since I stupidly took an ice axe to one of our jlb crowlers while hastily burying them in the morning. Also congrats on a rad mission!