Page 73 of 77 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1920
    We stuck around South Lake for our last day. Overnight temps were better and we had a good freeze for a change. We got up early and skinned out towards Thompson. We first did the main SE face of Ski Mountaineer's Peak. Absolutely perfect corn at 9 am, honestly it was probably my best corn skiing of the entire year. After this we climbed up the looker's left couloir of the Trident (Knudtson). After hitting the summit we decided to ski the middle line (Smrz) as the snow looked smoother. Once again corn was really good at about 11:30 am. In fact, we had really good skiing all the way down to about 10.5K. It was a fantastic way to end the trip (and probably the season for me).

Early morning skinning with Mt. Goode in the distance:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7709.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	285616

Approaching Ski Mountaineer's Peak:

Name:	IMG_7747.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	285617

Name:	IMG_7825.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	285618

N side of Gilbert:

Name:	IMG_7759.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	285619

Nearing the top with nice views of Thompson:

Name:	IMG_7911.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	285620

Skiing:

Name:	IMG_7932.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	285621

Name:	IMG_7946.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	285622

Heading back up Thompson:

Name:	IMG_7964.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	285623

Thompson summit views:

Name:	IMG_7966.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	285624

Name:	IMG_7973.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	285625

Skiing Thompson:

Name:	IMG_7990.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	285626

Name:	IMG_8025.jpg 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	285627

Name:	IMG_8042.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	285628

Name:	IMG_8103.jpg 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	285629

Quote Originally Posted by chill winston View Post
    Nice Mr Hankey! I recall a similar trip 13 years ago this month. Man we are gettin old!
    Chill! yeah man, that was a great trip! So memorable. I was telling Jay about that trip this weekend. Especially about how the sunny sky's turned to lightning/hail/rain storm on the walk off. That trip had it all hope you're still out there getting after it. Great Avatar btw

Gopher - I just read lots of your posts on Snowbrains over lunch at work. Really good stuff there. The article https://snowbrains.com/june-let-go1/ really hit home as it's getting closer to the time for me to hang up the ski's for the season and start to as you say: "yearn for the months that end in -ber"

Doc, another great TR. You've had a great year man. Thanks for all the posts.

10 hours and nobody has said how rad this photo dump is?! We’re all spoiled by this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. hankey View Post
    Chill! yeah man, that was a great trip! So memorable. I was telling Jay about that trip this weekend. Especially about how the sunny sky's turned to lightning/hail/rain storm on the walk off. That trip had it all hope you're still out there getting after it. Great Avatar btw
    Haha you mean this river of hail? It was bluebird right before that. Gotta love mountain weather.

Name:	91B80124-1979-4B32-9382-9E43DF477B53.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	462.6 KB 
ID:	285704

This thread rocks. Doc in particular is having an absolute slaying year. So jealous!

I'm going to be spending some time on the Eastside next week.

Eastside Conditions Thread

Last edited by ~mikey b; 06-14-2019 at 06:13 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Through the weekend? I'm trying to get out next weekend if you're looking for partners.

Goddamn, where to start... so much radness here lately!

Mr. Hankey (aka Towelie to us old-timers)! Damn that Conness linkup looks cool. I often peruse random climbing books when taking my morning dump , even though I don't know jack shit about climbing. I was just looking at that West ridge route the other day. I was thinking, "damn if I knew jack shit about climbing, I bet that would be a fun linkup with a ski descent!" Cool to see you gettin' after it. I think I remember some of those old similar TR's from back in the day... with steeleman. Chill Winston is that you?? OG's in the house!

The whole Tioga area looks like it's still firing from those pics. Dayum. I bet Powerhouse is still worthy this weekend, in your pics it looks like the sneak traverse left out of the main tongue still goes and that gets you a lot closer to the parking area.

jskierpx, V-notch looks awesome! Nice pics & nice work!

Gopher, damn sending it straight off the Solstice cornice... I know I shouldn't be surprised anymore but damn, people getting after it!

Speaking of which, doc that last trip looked awesome! Nice job getting Unknown from that side. I know people have done it from that side, but I think it takes a special combination to be reasonable. First, a fat snowpack so the rocks in the choke are filled in (uh, check on that this year). Second, that side faces N so more often than not it is rock hard. In that sense the higher temps when you were there may have worked in your favor. The only first-hand account I've heard of riding it from that entrance came from bcd (guidebook co-author), and it sounded like it was slide-for-life conditions, he lost an edge, tumbled down the upper part and somehow manage to stop before going over the rocks. So nice work getting it in good conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Damn. So, is Liberty to the looker's left or right of the line in my photo?
    It's to salivating-steep-skiier-plateau-walker's right of your sucker line. Here's an annotated Google Earth pic that should help:

The one labeled "People Are Crazy" had a track in it when I was out there a month ago. At the time, there was a mandatory rock air near the top in the steepest part. I dunno if that track was from before that rock melted out, but like I said I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore...

Speaking of labeling things, I stole one of doc's pics and labeled the Non-Moynier/Moynier for bodywhomper. Well at least I think the Moynier is labeled correctly. They end up at the same place but go up in different directions.

And speaking of Moynier:

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I have another old edition moynier book:
    Attachment 284960
    That describes another classic tour that has been on my list forever, “great western divide tour.” A coworker did it a long time ago (like 99 or 00) with her husband and some friends. They would tour half day and ski a large line near their camp every afternoon. Cesnalis posted some FB photos of some of the area recently. Anybody on here done this tour?
    Attachment 284961
    That looks awesome; I have the 2nd edition and it looks like that tour was removed. Looks like SMC does guide it though:
    https://www.sierramountaincenter.com...estern-divide/

JimW: That's awesome! You need to publish JimW's Guide to the Plateau (sold exclusively at the MoMart).

Never skied it, but Non-Moynier looks pretty damn stout in photos and in person.

Great photos, whatsupdoc.

mickey b: I'm sure Tioga will have a lot of traffic this weekend, if you're worried about safety. If you ski Dana Couloir or Solstice, you won't be alone.

Unknown Chute off Mt. Dana on Tioga Pass is scary.

Don't do it.

Report from Yesterday.

Finger of snow down to Poole Power Plant is done now...

Eastern Sierra, CA Backcountry Report: Huge Cornice, Unknown Chute Off Mt. Dana Is Steep & Scary… | Tioga Pass
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Eating dinner at momart right now.

Alpine start at 11 this morning, up ellery to powerHouse.

Damn, it always takes me s long time to find the entrance.

Skied powerHouse around 2, pretty soft, lots of sluff, but still great
    At the bottom of the steep part, transitioned to crampons, not easy on 50 degrees, and climbed back up, then elery down.
    Good skiing, should've done it earlier, but still better than a day on the couch.

My wife is skiing North peak tomorrow while i watch the kids, then my turn at it on Sunday.
    That cute on the second picture looks awesome.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

That chute, not cute.

I have a English-French keyboard on my phone because we are moving to France for a year, so it thinks it knows better what i want to say.

Gopher! I'm surprised you guys didn't just huck straight off the cornice into Unknown, after those pics from Solstice. But yeah, apparently everyone is doing that skiers right entrance these days! I think it's rare that it's filled in and soft enough to do it, so nice work catching the window. Those runnels look, uhm, interesting, in the vid! You know the "normal" entrance is far skiers left? It's past the main big-ass cornice, and there's a narrow line that connects into the main line just below the rocky choke. Normally the top of this entrance has a nice flat spot, and it faces more east so softens up more reliably. Random picture from years ago:

I was there a month ago and found out that the nice flat spot for this entrance forms when the big-ass cornice above it falls off, which hadn't happened yet, so it was a lot spicier than normal:

But normally I think that's the "safest" way in and it's usually not bad, and certainly less exposure than the other side. Either way, nice work there! On the Powerhouse exit, even when the main tongue is burnt out, you can usually cut riders left before it ends into a diagonal left line (might involve some unstrapping, and you miss the rock "waterslides") that usually goes for a little while longer than that main tongue, and gets you closer to the parking spot... and more importantly involves less talus-hopping!

Rod, that "cute" in the 2nd pic is what I call "Bermuda Triangle" (listed in the Google Earth pic of chute entrances posted earlier). That name came from Gimpy's buddy JayTe, who has probably spent more time up there than everyone on this thread combined. Like most chutes up there, it can be good, or it can be sketchy AF. Here's an old pic looking at it from below. With what appears to be a snowboard track in it, hmm... .

lol is that me?^^

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    Through the weekend? I'm trying to get out next weekend if you're looking for partners.
    Yes
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

JimW, very cool man. I didn't know that there was another entrance. That was my first time in Unknown. Thanks for the kind words.

We were eyeing that Bermuda triangle and we were gonna try it a few days ago, but the top had just melted out. Kinda bummed we didn't go for it earlier.

Thanks for the beta.
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    lol is that me?^^
    Dude, don't you recognize your own ass? That was the day schwalbster and I climbed Powerhouse with you, and I think that may have also been the same day you had a tantrum after topping out, something about "I hate being gripped like that, that's why I quit rock climbing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    JimW, very cool man. I didn't know that there was another entrance. That was my first time in Unknown. Thanks for the kind words.

We were eyeing that Bermuda triangle and we were gonna try it a few days ago, but the top had just melted out. Kinda bummed we didn't go for it earlier.

Thanks for the beta.
    Gopher - are you by chance Miles? If so, is this by chance you topping out on Powerhouse (pic from 5/16/2010):

If so... goddamn crazy small world! That is from the same day as the pic of BGnight's ass above. That day my buddy and I went across the plateau, down into Glacier Canyon, and up to the shoulder of Dana and into Unknown... from the easy entrance, and my pic above of that entrance is from that same day. There were a couple guys behind us on the climb up Powerhouse, and I remember BG rode back down Powerhouse that day and I think said it turned out one of those guys was Miles. That would be a crazy full circle coincidence if that was you! The other guy I had met once before too (I think with Ben Hatchett and Shane Jones), and I can't remember his name (wait, maybe Phil?) but I do remember he was rocking full alpine boots and an awesome pink belt.

So yeah, about Unknown, that other entrance usually seems to be a lot better. Here's a pic (from that same 2010 day!) that shows both entrances pretty well:

From most angles it doesn't look like that rider's left entrance goes, but it does easily connect into the main chute and you ride by this cool rock spire (which is what makes it look like it doesn't go from many angles):

Next time you go back there, try it from that side, you'll be like "damn that was easy!"

Yes, Gopher = Miles

Ripper Chute and Banana Chute were great yesterday off Tioga Pass.

NOTE: We saw 3 large cornices come down yesterday. 11am: cornice failure at top of Ellery Bowl. 3pm: cornice failure 100 yards west of Unknown Chute off Mt. Dana. 4pm: cornice failure at top of Ellery Bowl. These were all large. The 9am cornice failure debris nearly enveloped 2 guys who were skinning up Ellery Bowl.

Eastern Sierra, CA Backcountry Report: Sluff-Race Down Ripper Chute + Banana Chute | Tioga Pass

JimW, yep, I'm Miles. That is Unreal that you have that pic of me from so long ago. I still remember that hat. From a Brazilian 'futebol' team. Yes, very small world! Especially the ski world, huh? Good memory, that was my buddy Phil. Great guy.

That other entrance to Unknown Chute looks cool, man. We really eyed it yesterday from the Plateau. Next year for sure. Thanks for all the high quality beta.
    Last edited by Gopher; 06-17-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Yeah, big cornice on banana chute yesterday. Didn't look that formidable from the parking lot, but as i was climbing it, i realized that i didn't want to be underneath it.

About halfway up i went into a steeper, narrower couloir to the left until i saw another big cornice.

Turned around to live another day.

Skied well.

Skinning up, snow was really slippery. Not quite corn, wet somewhat unconsolidated.

Good for skiing, not great for skinning.

Booting was faster.

Hey Guys,

Chute Out alternate entrance was very fun today.

Video, photos, report:

Eastern Sierra, CA Backcountry Report: Ellery Bowl’s “Chute Out” | Tioga Pass

Those big cornices in Ellery Bowl are coming down in big chunks. Please give them a wide bearth.

Tioga Pass is still skiing great.

poor deer looks emaciated. prolly poisoned by your socks.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Maybe it has the deer zombie virus.

This is killing me. They need to get Tioga open from the West side already, dammit.