Page 69 of 77 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1920
    Pretty amazing rescue by Mono SAR from the Hulk/Little Slide area. Lots to ponder in this one. Great pics too: https://www.monosar.org/missions/201...-2019-19-253-7
    sproing!

Holy shit. Amazing is an understatement. That is a great team!

remarkable rescue. Lots to ponder. Many unanswered questions (maybe another thread?).Thanks for posting.

When’s saddlebag lake rd open? I need some more motivation for knee rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by telelebowski View Post
    Obviously, none of you gentlemen are golfers. Carrying a sidearm is de rigeur while skiing on the resort, especially with the proliferation of snowboarders. Since I own a Sherpa named Sylvester that I won in a hovel outside Tingri when some daft llama called banco, and the first thing I did after unpacking him from the steamer trunk on his arrival in America, after having his scrotum shorn, was to have him professionally hobbled so that he can never outpace me over any distance, it is not really any of my concern.
    I don't know wtf all that other babble is about but I find that entertaining^^^.

I also completed the Emerson/Locke grand slam today (not all 4 today lol). Gopro footy was fouled by an errant face shot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190520_125236.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	283259

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Yeah, CalTrans was trying to get Sonora Pass open by Memorial Day Weekend (per Mono County's facebook feed). I wouldn't completely rely on it though. It seems like they've been pretty conservative in the past about opening either 108 or 120 when there's weather forecasted.
    Highly unlikely that they're even thinking of opening those roads with the significant precip that's in the 3-day weekend forecast. The talk about opening Sonora Pass by Memorial Day weekend was before anyone realized that late May would see a few feet of fresh snow.

Edit: ^^Sweet line!

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I don't know wtf all that other babble is about but I find that entertaining^^^.

I also completed the Emerson/Locke grand slam today (not all 4 today lol). Gopro footy was fouled by an errant face shot

Disappointed. I enjoy your GoPro vid stylings. But really, you should have blamed teh chemtrailz

Wow, huge kudos to Mono SAR. Site says they average five missions per month, damn.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    remarkable rescue. Lots to ponder. Many unanswered questions (maybe another thread?).Thanks for posting.

Awesome job by SAR, and lots of questions. towards that end
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Bs-InReach-etc
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Might have been the nicest weather ever yesterday for a southern pow and corn excursion

Name:	IMG_7240.jpg 
Views:	1187 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	283300

Rule of thirds be damned

Name:	IMG_6906.jpg 
Views:	1172 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	283301

Swervin' in the Cereal Bowl with icy frosted flakes

Name:	IMG_5722.jpg 
Views:	1156 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	283303

Duuuuuuuude!

This is amazing. After seeing this drainage from the top of Wahoo I need to get back there!

Edit: Kidding. Wrong drainage. Still a great pic!
    Last edited by CS; 05-23-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phattypowpow View Post
    Thanks to all for the advice and inspiration. I've been meaning to ski on the eastside for years and finally made it happen. I know some of the areas from hiking and camping but I'm a total noob to the ski scene. Here are a few pictures from my short but sweet trip through the Sierras earlier this week (Sun, May 12 - Wed, May15):
    Looks great...

My humble offerings to all the truly bad-assery going down this season.
    2 photos: 1 overview of Virginia Lakes area, 1 shot of Hot Creek

SEASONAL PASSES TO REMAIN CLOSED OVER MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
    100 Miles Of Road Cleared, But Late Storms, Above Average Snow Depth and Winter Conditions Cause Delay

Despite the heroic efforts of our crews working nearly seven days a week since the beginning of April to clear the high Sierra routes for the summer season, they will remain closed through the Memorial Day holiday weekend due to unusually heavy winter conditions this year.

The work this year has included a snow pack that was 161% of normal. Crews encountered a consistently deeper snow pack at lower elevations than is normal with drifts up to 25’ at the higher elevations, which has caused work to slow from a normal average of ½ mile per day most years to at times as little as 1/10 of a mile per day this year.

These late storms have also forced our crews to divert equipment and personnel to lower elevations to clear roads for the traveling public and necessitated plowing new snow just to reach the seasonal clearing work sites.

With the addition of adding two shifts per day and despite all of the above, Caltrans crews from District 10 and District 9 have succeeded in clearing snow from 100 miles of roads that are closed during the winter and will likely have all the snow removed from the routes within the next few days.

The estimated time of opening is dependent on the progress to remove remaining snow from the routes and the completion of any repairs needed to fix damage to the roadway, guardrail, culverts, drains and signs, due to damage from rockfall, trees, snow and ice prior to reopening the routes for the season.

Yosemite National Park manages Tioga Road inside the park boundary which remains closed with no estimate for when it is expected to open for the season.

For the safety of the traveling public and our crews, the routes will remain closed despite this progress as winter conditions will continue to persist and ice and rockfall will be a hazard particularly in the shaded sections of the roadways.

Ebbetts Pass and Sonora Pass require closure during the winter season. Sonora Pass has grades in excess of 20% and Ebbetts Pass has grades in excess of 23%, far exceeding typical highway grades of 6%. The steep grades, high elevation and narrow roads cannot accommodate snow removal equipment and vehicular traffic at the same time and make it hazardous to allow travel when icy conditions exist.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. We know how important it is for communities on either side of the pass for the route to be open for the summer season. For the latest in highway information please check http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov or call our Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).

From YNP

❄️❄️❄️❄️

Despite a foot of new snow higher up and enough snow on other roads to divert plows from Tioga Road, road crews plowed through the Olmsted Point avalanche zone on Saturday and have been working in the Tenaya Lake area. Mono County crews are also working into the park from Tioga Pass.

(While Olmsted Point avalanche zone has been safe in current conditions, warmer weather may make the avalanche zone unsafe again, which could cause delays until the zone is safe again.)
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Pretty amazing rescue by Mono SAR from the Hulk/Little Slide area. Lots to ponder in this one. Great pics too: https://www.monosar.org/missions/201...-2019-19-253-7
    I was at Travertine on Sunday, and I joined a family in the upper tub. A mom and 4 kids, a couple of which were in high school, and were training for SAR. It just so happened that this mission was the first one they were called out on. It was really in interesting to hear their first-hand account of things. They didn't have snowshoes so had to wait lower down and build a shelter (a storm came in that evening). They were out there all night, they didn't get the guy down to where they were till like 5 AM. I was just up in that same drainage 2 days prior. I fell off a talus block and tweaked my leg... fortunately it wasn't worse but it could easily have been a broken leg situation. On the way out I thought about how much it would suck to get someone out of that drainage with a broken leg. Not to mention in a snowstorm! One of the guys that took some of the photos in that link had an IG story showing some incredible video footage from the rescue (since expired unfortunately). Rescue in difficult terrain, at night, in a snowstorm, complete with a creek crossing... kudos to that team. That guy is lucky he didn't lose his leg.

Awesome BG! Nice work getting all those lines and especially CD in good conditions. I know that's been on the list for a while. Still on mine...

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Not anytime soon from what I could tell. Was up there a week ago and although Tioga was completely clear to the park entrance, Saddlebag road wasn't plowed at all. On the plus side, if you could get up Tioga somehow, you could probably skin that entire road at this point. I assume coverage is similar to when I was up there, given that it's remained somewhat wintry since then. I'll try to get some pics up maybe tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Three things: (1) People in Wyoming always ski with a sidearm? (2) Mongoloid??? WTF? (3) Bears are not a meaningful risk in the Sierra. You'd be just as safe carrying a life jacket, condom, or tinfoil hat around here.

Anyhoo, sick video, bbrianburke. Great TR, phattypowpow. Some pics from yesterday from Gilbert and Trident . . . .

The weather started somewhat windy but sunny.

The first line. A couple folks got it on Friday, but it was still pretty sweet yesterday.
    You got it! Nice!! Maybe if you were toting your gun and wearing a condom you might have gotten it untracked... Speaking of which, sounds like the line-snakers were a pair from the AK avalanche center who were out there the day before, and sounds like they got a lot done during their trip to the eastside:
    https://www.esavalanche.org/content/...ent-conditions

Eastside Conditions Thread

Thanks for the info on tioga. I shared with a friend that’s been getting after a lot.

Why is it called the “non-moynier couloir?”
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 05-24-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    You got it! Nice!! Maybe if you were toting your gun and wearing a condom you might have gotten it untracked... Speaking of which, sounds like the line-snakers were a pair from the AK avalanche center who were out there the day before, and sounds like they got a lot done during their trip to the eastside:
    https://www.esavalanche.org/content/...ent-conditions
    everyone knows the condom goes on the gun as an extra safety mechanism. And holy crap AK guy has a lot of eastside knowledge.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

🦆❤️
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Skied in upper Rock Creek Canyon today. The road is open to the pack station and there are a couple of bare spots on the skin in. Skinned up to Ruby Lake area and then over the ridge south of the creek drainage. Snow conditions were pretty sucky, breakable crust nearly the whole way, and we stayed in the north facing trees. The recent storms have messed with the corn cycle, and yet the powder was affected by warm temps. Not sure exactly how high we got, about 11,400'ish. More snow on the way, so powder skiing right after the storm, then its going to need some time for the corn to ripen.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Love all the skiing posts & cheers to Mono SAR. Headed out to Southlake today (May 27 :-)to Mt. Johnson (good for dozens of bevis & butthead jokes on the skin track). Above 12k it was full on boot top pow, cloud cover turned the descent into soup, good study out there

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Loving all the skiing posts & cheers to Mono SAR! Skied Out of Southlake today & found boot top powder above 12k on Johnson, visibility was rough but snow was great. Way up Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6623.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	283933

Just after descent

Name:	IMG_6636.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	283934

Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Nice photos, splitter. 2_1_3, I recognize the area but have no idea what you actually skied. Cool photos in any event. Nice job on Johnson, Jack Burton.

Took the kid for a small tour up McGee yesterday. There's still a snow crossing below McGee North Chutes and decent coverage in the area, although it didn't seem to get any of the recent snow that Mammoth got.

Name:	IMG_3390.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	283955

The snow wasn't powder, corn, mank, or ice. I'm not sure what to call it.

Name:	IMG_3394.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	283956

But it was carveable and fairly fun.

Name:	IMG_3398.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	283962

Okay, some of the snow was more educational than fun.

Name:	IMG_3421.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	797.9 KB 
ID:	283957

A quick hike to the car.

Name:	IMG_3435.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	283959

All's well that ends at Jolly Kone.

Name:	IMG_3441.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	283960

Sweet kiddo action!!

Awesome!

Rad dad +++

That is awesome AK, props to you getting your daughter touring the East Side! I tried to talk Wetter into that shot earlier in the year but it will have to wait, it's darn aesthetic to my eyes