Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    When we hit North Peak a couple years back, I locked them out for the couloir. And then unlocked them to ski down the apron. That's my usual approach for that kind of terrain. Thankful for that because the apron was super gloppy, I hit a slight depression at speed and caught a tip. May have been fine with them locked, but I've had enough funky falls with bindings that don't release for one lifetime, thanks.

Thanks for the cool photos SC and Brooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

probably headed down Thursday-Sunday. Thinking of sunny aspects like Hunewill, Gibbs, Kidney Chute, McGee or ??? Any conditions updates?

Can you still drive to the TH at McGee Creek?

beta for me not for u
    Last edited by BGnight; 03-08-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    probably headed down Thursday-Sunday. Thinking of sunny aspects like Hunewill, Gibbs, Kidney Chute, McGee or ??? Any conditions updates?
    Seems like folks are getting decent corn where you'd expect it. The question is what the weather is going to do during that period. I'm seeing possible snow Thursday night and Saturday/Sunday. I don't know if that will also translate into corn-destroying wind and clouds.

Any guesses as to what conditions will be like in north-facing couloirs between 11,000' and 13,000'? [Edit: Rock-hard windboard or softish packed powder?] I was planning on doing a three-day trip near Aspendell but I'm not sure if I should bail and chase corn (camp out on Lake Italy? Ritter?). I've been obsessively checking the weather for the last four days, which is a little stressful.

My Pear Lake trip was set for Friday-Sunday until the broken calcaneus. Given the forecast, I'm a bit less upset I'm missing it. Rather be out there than on the couch, but it looks to be cloudy and poor snow conditions before the storm cycle restarts on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

beep beep im a jeep
    Last edited by BGnight; 03-08-2016 at 04:48 PM.

It looks like the weather window will not overlap with my vacation window this Thursday through Sunday:

Glad to get a refresher, but shit. Yesterday, it looked like there would be a two-or-three-day period of decent weather before the storm.

East Facing Chutes on No Name in Laurel Canyon - Thursday 2/25. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1456879163.773105.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	923.3 KB 
ID:	177516

Feeling good about the Eastside this spring. Mammoth is reporting 5 feet from this storm with maybe some more to come this week.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Feeling good about the Eastside this spring.
    Me too. I went poking around trailheads last week. It was looking pretty thin overall, but this refresher should really help out.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Im going out for a test run this weekend. seven weeks out from Distal Bicep Tendon surgery. Probably not ready yet, but plan on going slower and a little mellow. Just need to get out.
    Anything happening south of Bishop ? Wondering how much they picked up from Lone Pine to Big Pine

Looking to go out with no real objective tomorrow other than to make a turn or three. Anyone know the status of VA Lakes road as of now?

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever... View Post
    Looking to go out with no real objective tomorrow other than to make a turn or three. Anyone know the status of VA Lakes road as of now?
    Anything to report?
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Anything to report?
    Unfortunately no. Didnt end up going down last week. Ended up having to do more with a housing move than I thought but that is all set now. Hoping this week Wednesday Thursday. Weather looks nice. Thinking it could be spot on couloir skiing conditions? Anyone have any thoughts on what may be good around the middle of the week? Thinking stability should be alright by then with the clear weather and diminishing winds?

Recently saw some pics from a friend that lives in lone pine and was up on mountaineer route.... front country looks thinish.

Unfortunately no. Didnt end up going down last week. Ended up having to do more with a housing move than I thought but that is all set now. Hoping this week Wednesday Thursday. Weather looks nice. Thinking it could be spot on couloir skiing conditions? Anyone have any thoughts on what may be good around the middle of the week? Thinking stability should be alright by then with the clear weather and diminishing winds?
    Heading down Friday through Monday. The big question is whether to seek north-facing couloirs or corn? I'm thinking that corn on the sunnier aspects is the better bet. It's been windy as fuck down there and I'm thinking there's a good chance that most couloirs will be windboard or crusty. At least, it'd be a gamble. I'm interested in others' thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Heading down Friday through Monday. The big question is whether to seek north-facing couloirs or corn? I'm thinking that corn on the sunnier aspects is the better bet. It's been windy as fuck down there and I'm thinking there's a good chance that most couloirs will be windboard or crusty. At least, it'd be a gamble. I'm interested in others' thoughts though.
    I'm going down for winter snow Thursday. No idea where. I have my doubts after seeing how things were today, but I also have faith there are certain protected couloirs that could have good snow. Especially if they slid during the storm. The best snow I found today was on north faces that slid during the storm at AM (keyhole to be specific). I'll be heading out with low expectations though. Can't get myself to go for corn this early in the season (can't imagine finding any real corn either), especially after a big dump.

[ Can't get myself to go for corn this early in the season (can't imagine finding any real corn either), especially after a big dump.[/QUOTE]

I second this thought. For example we skied the solar side of Wood a couple weeks back after a much longer stretch of melt freeze cycle and it was still quite transitional aside from the lowest gully. I think its going to be a bit longer for anything other than isolated pockets of corn to be around. Just my take though.

I'm guessing the keyword right now is "transitional". As in, probably crappy pow AND crappy corn. But you never know. One of the best days I ever had on the eastside was a similar weather pattern. Big cold spring pow dump a couple days earlier, then 2 days after the storm the sun came out in full spring force and nuked everything. But we went out to check things out anyway, and started late, which should have been bad. But turns out everything had already wet slid by then. So when we dropped this at 5 pm it was on the refreeze and was pretty damn good:

Not sure if we scored because we were being lazy, lucky, or creative. Really I was just looking for an excuse to repost that pic from 2011. Here's hoping that this spring snowpack comes close to the epicness that was 2011.

On another note, I hope everyone saw this incident that happened a week ago:
    http://www.esavalanche.org/content/s...ak-petes-dream

That was right after a bunch of snow and was the first kind of clear day, though it was still somewhat cold and windy. We were out on the same day just up the road at Powerhouse. In contrast to the incident above, we saw no evidence of instability on the way up or signs of previous slides. But the wind picked up partway through the climb and in a matter of 1-2 hours, everything that previously seemed like nice stable pow on the way up had become super slabby. Not good. It just highlighted to me how fast conditions change out there in the winter. This is why my season usually doesn't start until the Mo-mart opens.

Fantastic conditions out of twin lakes today...good snow just about everywhere once we gained a bit of elevation...cold settled powder on the line we skied...snowpack is deep..in my opinion it's on with cold snow where one would think and solar aspects fine in the limited time we were there today..tired..maybe some pictures tomorrow

Jim, good to hear you're around.

I'm spending the year in the French Pyrenees, near bareges. Kids going to school here.

Skiing is unbelievable. Tons of couloirs, accessible from the lifts, with a few minutes or an hour hike or skin.

Looks just like the east side, but much more accessible.

We ski untracked powder for at least a week after a storm.

It seems like nobody leaves the groomers.

Stable snow.

Have a great winter.

Fantastic conditions out of twin lakes today...good snow just about everywhere once we gained a bit of elevation...cold settled powder on the line we skied...snowpack is deep..in my opinion it's on with cold snow where one would think and solar aspects fine in the limited time we were there today..tired..maybe some pictures tomorrow
    Thanks for the beta. Check your pm's

Thanks for the update. It sounds like the solar aspects are okay? Do you think something like Victoria or Hunewill would be good?

I miss all the jimw TRs, that is a great shot from 2011

Curious if somethingclever was talking about Twin Lakes out of Mammoth.