Page 59 of 77 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1920
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    speaking of the first edition, theres a full page pic of me "skiing" liberty. what is harder to tell was that i was essentially self belaying myself w my whippet down bulletproof. we threw rocks into sweet pow from rap spot but just out of view lay the notpow. no climbing back outta tat one
    Ah, the "notpow". I'm totally gonna steal that! I seem to have a nose for finding the NotPow.

Here's that pic:

You can see the shiny NotPow! Looks about the same as the first time I "rode" it, BG can attest to that!

just picked up new edition of eastern sierra guidebook n i think jimw is only maggot left in it. most all of dans action pics got nixed which is understandable given he doesnt seem to be involved with the project anymore but still, .......... kinda sad to not see buddy in it anymore
    That's a bummer! Got the new edition on order but not so stoked on it now.

Here's a pic for posterity while I have the old one out:

Buddy was such a badass. I still remember that pic of him in 3rd Pillar years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Wow, that's the second time I've seen that couloir get skied this season on the interwebs. I hope it doesn't end up in the guide book. I honestly don't think ski guide books are necessary unlike climbing guides. Find snow. Climb up, ski down. No book necessary. Google maps is 100x's better than that thing. Rating couloirs with incorrect steepness and silly exposure meters is moronic. I love bcd but I absolutely loathe there being an Eastside book. I guess the good thing about it is it keeps the lemmings going to the same spots, like overrated lines such as Kettle peak/Hulk or "50 classics" such as Giant Steps (silly looking line for what it takes in effort). That couloir I quoted is better than 3/4 of that book and there's many more like it just in the front country alone. But I'm a jaded, grumpy old man so I love having petty things to bitch about.

It's funny meter man, one day I went out to hit that chute, but the snow sucked so I opted for corn on the opposite slope too. I love that drainage. There's a few more gems hidden away back there (one in the pictures).

bg just bummed his pic from deerhorn not in new edition
    i feel ya man. i mostly just had the first 2 editions for the personal connection pics n coulda done w/o the third

bg just bummed his pic from deerhorn not in new edition
    i feel ya man. i mostly just had the first 2 editions for the personal connection pics n coulda done w/o the third
    I've never even seen the new edition. Now I'm even more grumpy! Did they take Deerhorn out??

I enjoy moyniers first edition. He hints at many great lines but highlights many great tours.

I think the internet is more an issue with certain lines getting hit multiple times in the same season. The lemming effect.

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Ah, the "notpow". I'm totally gonna steal that! I seem to have a nose for finding the NotPow.
    too late
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

There were no guidebook writers in our group. THE SECRETSSS ARE SSSSAFE.

I like the guidebook. I've rarely encountered other groups in the BC on the East Side. I'd say probably on 5-10% of tours max, and usually at Tioga in spring. Frankly, I am stoked when I see people on the East Side. Unlike Tahoe, which is a damn overcrowded metropolis by comparison.

Then again, thanks to alkasquawlik, Giant Steps now has bumps in it. That guy ruins everything.
    sproing!

Monday, went to ski the n couloir on feather peak.

Skinning was heinous, mushy snow, wet slides and what seems like 2 miles of side hilling.

Anyway, after passing a few lakes, my objective is in sight.

I knew the couloir is around the corner, so i started to circumnavigate the peak. Kept going, a few couloirs that didn't go to the top, but no North couloir. Eventually, i got to the West side, and nothing but talus.

WTF?

pulled the phone, and i realized that i was only at Royce lake and sure enough, a couple of miles south i could see the true feather peak.

So, it's 2 pm, i had another 3 hours of skinning and booting, and the storm is moving in.

Even though this was on my list for at least 5 years, i turned around.

Everything under 9,500 ft was super water saturated. Two big wet slides, which happened after i skinned up, covered my skin track with at least a meter of wet, dense snow. It would've hurt.

Skiing to the car they the forest was an adventure that i wouldn't want to repeat anytime soon, but i probably will.

Wet snow that slid in anything stepper than 30 degrees, under me thankfully.

Hopefully, next time i try it, will have good freezing conditions, so maybe skinning will go faster.

Can't seem to add captions to the photos, but the false feather peak is in the first picture.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Can't seem to add captions to the photos, but the false feather peak is in the first picture.
    I have skied feather peak and royce peak. that's ^^ feather peak. we made it a lounging multi-day trip and parked ourselves at a rocky flat spot in the mid-ground.

our approach was pretty heinous, too. lots of very deeply rotten snow. at one point, we had to "rescue" ian. with an overloaded multi-day pack (thankfully, ian tends to bring fresh produce, not tell anybody, and share it with his crew), ian started making some turns in a particularly convoluted part of the approach. on his 4th or 5th turn, he augered into a patch of bottomless rotten snow, launching head-first. luckily, he was laughing about the whole thing, as we worked to get him free/upright.

there was a "famous" avalanche in pine canyon that killed most of the bighorn herd in that area. i think it was in the 1990's.

Thanks for the info on Liberty, all.

Great photos, meter-man. Bummer that you and Rod came up short on your objectives. It's part and parcel of the experience though. I got turned away from Feather from both Pine Creek and Lake Italy (sketchy avy conditions both times) before I got it. I also failed two or three times on plans to ski Cat's Ears and have yet to ski anything on north Wood despite a couple attempts. It sucks, but it makes the experience sweeter whenever you actually get a more challenging objective.

I don't have the 3rd edition of the book. I figure the Rakkup guide is sufficient. Am I wrong? I tried to get a copy of Moynier, but they're hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I have skied feather peak and royce peak. that's ^^ feather peak. we made it a lounging multi-day trip and parked ourselves at a rocky flat spot in the mid-ground.

our approach was pretty heinous, too. lots of very deeply rotten snow. at one point, we had to "rescue" ian. with an overloaded multi-day pack (thankfully, ian tends to bring fresh produce, not tell anybody, and share it with his crew), ian started making some turns in a particularly convoluted part of the approach. on his 4th or 5th turn, he augered into a patch of bottomless rotten snow, launching head-first. luckily, he was laughing about the whole thing, as we worked to get him free/upright.

there was a "famous" avalanche in pine canyon that killed most of the bighorn herd in that area. i think it was in the 1990's.
    I must not have the picture of the fake one.

Eastside Conditions Thread

I appreciate the secor book, too, because he describes nooks and crannies for navigating around.

My friends and I usually batted 50-60% on spring multi-day trips due to weather/conditions or physical issues.

Not current photos!
    Top photo: Royce on left, feather on right, a Royce lake in mid-ground, Ian foreground. Bottom photo: that face of feather looking down from the summit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	277874

Hey all, rolling down from Montana to find some spring sunshine. First time to the area, can you all share some beta on what roads are drive able/access with current snowpack? Trying to figure out what areas are most accessible currently. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Hey all, rolling down from Montana to find some spring sunshine. First time to the area, can you all share some beta on what roads are drive able/access with current snowpack? Trying to figure out what areas are most accessible currently. Thanks
    Honestly, almost everything is good at the moment because the snowpack is great. Some of the higher roads above 9k--like South Lake, Tioga, and Sonora--will be probably closed into mid-to-late May or June. That said, nearly everything is currently accessible in terms of snowpack. The later we get into May, however, the more you'll probably want to go either higher and/or further north. Sonora to Mammoth has the biggest snowpack followed by Mammoth to Bishop, followed by everything south of Bishop.

Bear in mind though, that the Eastern Sierra--Sonora-ish to Lone Pine--covers a lot of terrain. That's about 150 as the crow flies, so there are a lot of regions, roads, etc. that could apply. If you haven't picked it up already, this book is a good start.

ETA: Bishop and Mammoth Lakes generally make good base camps.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    x2 on the book, someone mentioned there is now an app version. I would suggest roll into Convict Lake first timer to the Sierra. Scenic, easy access, lots of options. Kid mountain is also a good intro, because you get some awesome views.

Awesome, I appreciate it! Will get down there tomorrow night and ski Friday-Wednesday hopefully

yeah bg deerhorn is still in it, but yer pic has been replaced by a pondella pic of east side local hilaree nelson approaching g steps on the chapter cover page. hah!

j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Skied the main gully of McGee today ~ 2 pm, south/east aspects were Corning up below 10k much above was winter with a few inches holding pretty well. Great views of Esha, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6169.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	441.5 KB 
ID:	278268wall of someone else’s future Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6161.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	278270 south face of Morgan north Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6162.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	278271 corn sheen is starting to show Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6176.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	278269

Sent from my comfy chair
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

we saw you in the gut today.

Anybody knows if mcgee Creek road, esha access, is open ?

McGee rd is still snowed in

Pajamas I'm guessing you were the crew that skinned up climbers left? A few friends skied Nevahabe ridge and found good corn yesterday ~ 1 from 12,500, i got turned around by an equipment failure at a pretty opportune time, so skied mammoth which was fun wind buff. Finally got to ski Mendenhall on Saturday, i underestimated the climb around the north side and dropped in late, conditions were great, overall not a smart decision to drop so late. A faster crew had skied it an hour earlier. Next time I’m on a very early start Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6199.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	450.8 KB 
ID:	278560. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4080.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	278561 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4081.JPG 
Views:	923 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	278562
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.