Boston Mags: ski shop question

What can you tell me about Ski Monster? Good/bad/other? Anything at all...
    [quote][//quote]

Don't know it, but its in Boston. Not really close to mountains. Not that they can't have a competent staff, I've just found you get better techs closer mtns

Ymmv

I've stopped in. They were great before they were brick and mortar. Tough local for retail.

Good, i don't think you're giving up much versus a place closer to the hill. What are you looking to get done?
    Decisions Decisions

I'd check out Buchikas in Salem NH

I bought a few things online--fast service, no issues.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Must be new?

Are you considering it for retail or shop service?

If you are looking for solid shop service near Boston you want Summit in Framingham.

The Monster is decent in selection although I cannot make any claim on service.

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    I'd check out Buchikas in Salem NH
    Good since the 1960's. Got my Head DH from Mr Buchika in 1967. A pair he demoed at Vail. Still have them. Great skis for a rough-edged 16 y.o. The store was in a different place back then.

We also like Ski Stop in Westwood, MA. Excellent boot fitting.

Today I looked through the window at the Comm Av East Coast Alpine...looks like they cut and run.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Ski Stop is solid. I had some new boots fitted there recently and they seemed to know their stuff. Summit is supposed to be really good for tunes, but I've heard they take your bindings off each time, which I'm not a huge fan of. I've used Ken Jones in Manchester, NH for binding mounts also. Manchester isn't too far from Boston. There's a guy named Lonnie (sp?) who works there who's a good tech.

For Ski Monster, I stopped in the shop a few months ago and they had a pretty good selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    What can you tell me about Ski Monster? Good/bad/other? Anything at all...
    MORONS. Sized a pair of boots for a friend of mine too big. Like, gaper sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

If you are looking for solid shop service near Boston you want Summit in Framingham.
    Second the recommendation. Solid shop and Mike Desanti's tunes are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post

We also like Ski Stop in Westwood, MA. Excellent boot fitting.

I believe they just sold the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly001 View Post
    I believe they just sold the shop.
    They sold to boston ski and tennis but most of the staff appears to have stuck around. Just went through the boot fit process there and it was excellent (pending first day on snow)- im optimistic that theyll spread the boot fit knowledge to the other bst shops, which it sounds like theyre doing.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Summit is supposed to be really good for tunes, but I've heard they take your bindings off each time, which I'm not a huge fan of.
    FWIW, the guy who runs their tuning shop is the former Product Manager and World Cup Race Director for Volkl...

If he says take the bindings off for a stone grind, I'm inclined to trust his opinion.

Love the job Mike at summit does. Any east coast ski under ~80 underfoot should benefit from his knowledge.

The rest of my skis I generally do on my own here and there
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    FWIW, the guy who runs their tuning shop is the former Product Manager and World Cup Race Director for Volkl...

If he says take the bindings off for a stone grind, I'm inclined to trust his opinion.
    He does a great job. I had some done years ago and it was worth the $.

If Gerhardt still works at the old Ski Stop in Westwood he is great for boots.

The boot fitting at Ski Stop is said to remain as is and expanded to the other stores. Sure hope it will stay solid, it's nice to have a good fitter who's not 3 hrs away. Gerhard does a good job.

Gerhard is the fucking man
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Gerhard is the fucking man
    3rded/4thed whatever we're up to.

Bumping an old thread. Just moved to Boston and need a pre season grind and edge sharpen on some skis where should I go? Moving from the west coast I haven’t been too picky on timing but I need some real edges here. Bonus points for close to Waltham or Belmont.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Bumping an old thread. Just moved to Boston and need a pre season grind and edge sharpen on some skis where should I go? Moving from the west coast I haven’t been too picky on timing but I need some real edges here. Bonus points for close to Waltham or Belmont.
    Honestly, waltham/Belmont is kind of a black hole in that you can either go farther out into the suburbs or drive into Boston. A buddy of mine runs the shop at REI near fenway and they do good work. I usually hit up ski monster for tune work but I've got a professional connection there. I like the ski monster because it gives me a chance to check out the latest gear. There is always the option of having a shop near whatever mountain you'll be at take care of it.

Ski monster definitely doesn’t suck. For someone without connections prices are just solid and service is good. Might be a zoo at this point in the year but I’m a fan. Also were great about helping fit me for a touring boot even though it was clear I was going straight to the forums for the actual purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums