Osprey Mutant 38

Any body got any beta on the Osprey Mutant 38 for ski touring/ large day pack?

Picked one up 40% off for a shorter person so I went S/M
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't have specific experience with that pack, but i have an older model 32l osprey pack that was marketted for alpine climbing. Among other things, i use it for skiing. something that i value about my pack is its ability to compress to a very small size. This lets me use it when i don't carry very much gear, like a short simple spring tour, and the bag's contents won't bounce around too much. Based on the ad copy on the osprey website, i don't see the large compression ability in the pack that you've posted.

I have the Osprey Variant, which is somewhat of the more feature-loaded brother of the mutant. I couldn't be happier with it. Skiing, climbing trekking, travelling or just grocery shopping - I use the pack a lot and it's excellent. The only discipline of the named ones where I think other forms of packs or carriers would be superior is grocery shopping. Otherwise it excels in every application.

100 can$ free shipping/retruns for an osprey ski pack would have been a good xmas presy but last nite she pulled out a perfectly good 35-40 litre ski pack ...its going back

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    something that i value about my pack is its ability to compress to a very small size. This lets me use it when i don't carry very much gear, like a short simple spring tour, and the bag's contents won't bounce around too much. Based on the ad copy on the osprey website, i don't see the large compression ability in the pack that you've posted.
    pretty easy ghetto hack using a coupla rubber ski straps for extra compression with prit near any pack with side pack compression straps or ski carry system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060368.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	172623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060369.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	172624  
    Master of mediocrity.

That style of compression used to be a standard feature on many osprey packs.

So it came in the mail n I got to fondle it, looks like a pretty nice ski pack for only 113can$ delivered for Canuckians, but its going back ... got her some ski poles instead