Gravel Event Front Range Alberta Rockies

Thought I would throw this up in case any of our 'Merican friends want to come check out a cool part of Canada...Free "event" nothing for winning but a good chance to hang with like minded freaks and experience how fuckin friendly Canucks can be to a bunch of Dochebag americans...Now go stuff yourself full of turkey you fat fucks!

http://www.albertarockies700.com/

more kooky fuckers in the rocky mountains.

700km, so top rider will be sub 48 hours? maybe even only 1 night of darkness?

Seems about right sub 50 for the freaks. 3 days for humans.

Kind of tempting. Have family in Lethbridge and Edmonton so getting a ride to/from the start and finish would be easy.

If you could ride an average of 14-15mph of would be a moving time of about 30 hours. Not sure if I'd want to ride the mtb or cx bike.

I've driven a LOT of that route, I would go cross bike. Its not much "mountain biking" more dirty road riding.

I'm in banff, if anyone needs a hand

This is along that Forestry Trunk Road ?
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Looks like it. I was checking that out not too long ago as a shorter bike trip or a drive and few days of car camping.

And yeah cx bike was my first thought but I can see where a hardtail would benefit. Probably won't get any flats, might be better at dealing with the weight, gives a little more cushion, and will be more stable on those fast gravel descents.

The road conditions do change with weather variances. A loaded cx bike might be a bit punishing on some of the washboard. Some of the sections can have loose gravel shoulders where having a hardtail mtb might be advantageous. IF I do it I'm thinking 29er with 1.8 tires. Give you a chance to rest on some of the downhills... Love that its free so if it rains I just dont do it or pull out halfway and bike back on the parkway back to Jasper...I can be wimpy...

Heh, may as well do it on a 29er. It starts June 19... give you a week to get to the finish in Coleman and enter the Rumhead Enduro on the 26th.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Coming up quick! I'm in...

Did you end up riding this last year jetski? Anyone looking to do it this year?

bump: anyone doing this silliness again?

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    Did you end up riding this last year jetski? Anyone looking to do it this year?
    I did it... Beautiful country. Heres a little blurb from our local paper. Its reverse this year. Not sure if I'm going again yet.

http://www.thejasperlocal.com/scenes...ckies-700.html

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    I did it... Beautiful country. Heres a little blurb from our local paper. Its reverse this year. Not sure if I'm going again yet.

http://www.thejasperlocal.com/scenes...ckies-700.html
    Thanks, general thoughts on it?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    bump: anyone doing this silliness again?
    Considering...

Its really a really nice part of the province. Some really punchy climbs and an amazingly isolated feel. Not much for services so you really are on your own out there. Water purification is a must. Lots of wildlife and vistas for miles. Highwood pass is an ass kicker. If you have specific questions let me know!