Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Carrying a Gun—A Little Extreme, Don't You Think?

Humans invented weapons in part to equalize the physical differences between us. That’s perfectly understandable. But does your weapon have to be a gun? Chill out. Jesus.

It makes sense for some people to want a weapon. It wouldn’t be fair to let the biggest people in the world be in control of everything just because they could beat everyone up. The group comprising “the biggest people” is not the same as the group comprising “the wisest and fairest and most just people.” It simply wouldn’t do to only have the biggest people in charge. A long time ago, the people who were not the biggest people figured this out. So they got sticks.

Big person trying to take your stuff? Hit em with a stick. Even things out.

Over time we sharpened the ends of the sticks, and invented weapons made out of metal, and on and on. Wars between nations caused by greed and hatred are one dimension of weaponry. Fundamentally, though, weapons are to even out power imbalances between people. Right down to you, the average American, scared to travel through this country or sleep in your bed at night without a weapon nearby.

Maybe you’re a small or medium-sized person. You don’t want a big person to come up and bop you on the head and take all your stuff. Okay, fine. Fair enough. Since the power of persuasion is not always enough, you want to get a weapon to even the odds. Okay, fine. Get yourself a little something.

How about a taser? A taser is nice. Tase the big guy. Zap! Make him fall on the ground. Works great. Or some pepper spray? The hot kind. Right in eyeball. “Ahhh!” he’ll cry, blinded. Then you run away. That’ll teach him.

Not enough? How about a cattle prod? Poke him hard. Bzzzzt! Now that’s a shocker. Knock him right back on his heels. I don’t care how big he is, that’ll do the trick. Need something a little more blunt? Want to send a message? Try some brass knuckles. Or a blackjack. Boom, whack! That’ll leave a mark—a reminder not to mess with people. Message: sent.

Here we have demonstrated that there is a wide array of weaponry available to you, the small or medium-sized person fearful for your own safety. Weaponry that you can use to protect yourself from predators. Weaponry that will serve to even out any size disadvantages you may have when compared to a goon who seeks to do you harm.

Shoot a motherfucker with a tranquilizer dart. Put him to sleep.

It has come to our attention, though, that many of you are taking this idea too far. You have decided to carry a gun. A real gun. A gun that shoots metal bullets that put holes in people and cause them to die. Whoa, now. Whoa. A gun? Is that really necessary? Just because you have an innate and probably only half-rational fear of muggers or home invaders or faceless thugs seeking to take advantage of you, you have to carry a killing machine? Immediately you must take the situation to sudden death? The punishment for anyone crossing you in any way must be a hole in the head? Have you ever suspected that your sense of proportionality might be somewhat out of whack?

Really—you’re gonna shoot someone, with a gun? Instead of a taser, or pepper spray, or bopping them with a stick? This seems a fair and proper response, to you? Does it, really?

You are kind of a maniac. I say that as a concerned fellow citizen.

“Oh, I only carry a gun because other people have guns.” No, that is a reason to have a bulletproof vest. Not a gun. Carrying a gun to shoot people dead at the slightest provocation is still, at its core, insane.

Cool it.

-Hamilton Nolan
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

i found a blackjack in the park a few weeks back

pretty scary

anyone wanna buy it ?
    Zone Controller

Nothing like a Louisville Slugger. It is called a 'Splainer. For those situations where certain individuals need things explained to them a little more emphatically.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

you gotta be a fuckin man to stab someone with a fucking knife
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Nothing like a Louisville Slugger. It is called a 'Splainer. For those situations where certain individuals need things explained to them a little more emphatically.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    if you do, please put a baseball glove also in your car, maybe a couple baseballs or softballs. Your lawyer would appreciate it.

You know, I wish we could go back to the days of carrying around big ass swords. See that dude carrying a two handed claymore? Leave him alone.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    if you do, please put a baseball glove also in your car, maybe a couple baseballs or softballs. Your lawyer would appreciate it.
    Duh.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Funny you mention that. At work a lot of years ago they had implemented a no weapons policy for the whole premises, including your car. Which is a bit of a hardship for those folks that want to hunt before or after work. However, the employee club, no pun intended, was handing out mini wooden baseball bats left over from a promotional night at the local Minor League ballpark. A few hundred people ended up with wooden clubs sitting on their desks.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Most state CCW laws don't cover pokey stabby killy type knives (anything legitimately useful for self defense, stabbing someone with a 2" swiss army knife is going to get your ass beat) or tasers. So if you use one of those things in self defense you could be looking at jail time.

Also, is that your collection of gun faggery dd? nice pieces.

i actually have that fagmachine on the left

so dumb

wanna buy it
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    i actually have that fagmachine on the left

so dumb

wanna buy it
    Kinda ironic mr fascist subverter has a handgun with the model "military and police".

And no, I hate the M&P series of guns. The triggers suck, the fit and finish sucks and based on a couple of my fellow gun fags M&Ps they aren't 100% reliable.

I stick to German guns - HK, Walther and Glock.

I have guns, got my CCW to carry. After a couple weeks of packing I felt like a big pussy so stopped carrying.

Now I just have my glock in my truck and the rest stay at home

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Kinda ironic mr fascist subverter has a handgun with the model "military and police".

And no, I hate the M&P series of guns. The triggers suck, the fit and finish sucks and based on a couple of my fellow gun fags M&Ps they aren't 100% reliable.

I stick to German guns - HK, Walther and Glock.

i bought it for vanity sake

american made and has upgraded trigger and its gay as hell, wont come out of the closet

i bought from some navy bootlicker in the parking lot here at work

glock isnt german FYI
    Zone Controller

glock isnt german FYI
    austrian sure.

I'm not mr. EDC. I carry when I have to go to sketchy area for work or if I'm doing a craigslist deal that involves lots of cash or something valuable.

Also I carry in the big city because I'm afraid. I live in the hills/woods in a small/safe town and the gun helps me cope and gives me the illusion that I'm a little more safe. But I'll readily admit that it probably doesn't.

When I carry a gun it makes me 10-20x more aware of my surroundings. I'm far less oblivious about shit.

I also open carry in the woods, mostly to avoid inane chit-chat about the weather with prius types on the trail. And to shoot grouse.

My name is Leavenworth Skier, and I'm a gun fag.

sounds extreme
    Zone Controller

sounds extreme
    I'm mild compared to most of the gun fags I meet. I know plenty of dudes who roll around with loaded rifles and plate carriers. and carry multiple guns. at all times. even in their house.

but most of them have been in combat. when you get shot at by an ak47 it changes a person.

so you wanna buy my blackjack or the 45?
    Zone Controller

so you wanna buy my blackjack or the 45?
    no. I don't like .45 acp either.

Just as an aside but the babybear a frame for BBI will be a gun free zone.

That's it and that's all
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post

That's it and that's all
    What about bulging arm muscles? Are those guns banned too?

Wait. Guns at BBI??? Someone's gonna shoot their eye out for sure.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post

That's it and that's all
    oh so everyone will be super vulnerable, sitting ducks...
    Zone Controller

oh so everyone will be super vulnerable, sitting ducks...
    That A frame will be ripe for a slaughter.