Thread: DWR midlayer

DWR midlayer

I am looking for thin midlayer to wear touring that also is DWR coated so that it sheds snow and light rain when being worn on the uphill.

Have found a few things, but finding it hard to find a DWR piece that is not intended as a full-on exterior shell.

Oh wise members of tech-talk, what do you do when it is snowing on the uptrack? I run hot, so even a thin baselayer under my shell gets hot quick.

I'm thinking thin baselayer, thin DWR midlayer and then hardshell on top would be ideal for a winter day touring... thoughts?

TIA!

Rab Boreas Pull-On.

I don't think it technically has a DWR coating, but I can tell you from experience that it sheds light to moderate snow just fine. Can't tell you about rain, I thankfully live at a elevation where that's not an issue. You could certainly treat it with Nikwax Softshell Proof or similar if you wanted more water resistance. It's very breathable, very wind resistant, and light. I wear a midweight wool baselayer plus the Boreas 90% of the time when I'm skinning, with a shell in my pack for the down. Best piece of apparel I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    I'm thinking thin baselayer, thin DWR midlayer and then hardshell on top would be ideal for a winter day touring... thoughts?
    Get rid of the base layer and that describes my mid-winter touring system. As I've mentioned on numerous other threads, I use garments designed as lightweight wind and/or rain shells, wearing them as next-to-skin semi-VBs, e.g., MH Effusion hoody, Marmot Leadville jacket, worn next-to-skin. Vent with zipper. I skin up in that single layer, then put on a hardshell for the down. Add syn puff at stops on colder days.

I use a thin wool layer, then a windshirt.

Unless it snows a lot, the snow melts on the windshirt, and the body heat keeps it from getting too wet.

On top I put a light shell on, or not, to ski down.

Mountain Hardware Chockstone hoody. It comes with a bit of DWR from the factory so you'll need to rewash to keep it in check. It's what I use when skinning in crappy weather.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens...et-OM5909.html

OR Ferrosi Hoodie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Any opinions on BD Alpine Start hoody?

Not yet, but if you buy one, post back up. I've been thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    OR Ferrosi Hoodie.
    I swear this has become my favorite piece for just about everything. From bike rides to exactly what the OP describes.

Hand pockets would be nice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Hand pockets would be nice?
    8.8 oz is also nice.

Note: My uses would be more summer climbing/fastpacking oriented, so requirements for that are different than winter, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Patagonia Houdini or other super light windshirt.

I wear this over my base layer when it's precipitating or windy on the uptrack. Breathes well, super light, cuts the wind. Easy to stuff in a pocket or hip belt pocket when not in use.

Base layer gets chosen based on the temps. Super light for spring, warmer for winter. A hooded base layer like an R1 hoody is awesome for touring to help regulate temps. Easy to throw the hood up if it's cold. Same with the houdini. Throwing the hood up provides a surprising amount of warmth.

I throw a shell or softshell on over this to ski down depending on the season. I won't bring a waterproof shell if the weather is nice or if it's warm. Waterproof shell is used more for winter days. I bring a synthetic puffy for longer breaks and emergencies. That covers 95% of my days.

I might use a light vest if it's super cold.

This reminds me how long it has been since I toured. I always used Marmot Driclime wind shirt even if snowing pretty good. There might be better stuff out now but fit what you are looking for
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

DWR midlayer

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    Patagonia Houdini or other super light windshirt.

I wear this over my base layer when it's precipitating or windy on the uptrack. Breathes well, super light, cuts the wind. Easy to stuff in a pocket or hip belt pocket when not in use.

Base layer gets chosen based on the temps. Super light for spring, warmer for winter. A hooded base layer like an R1 hoody is awesome for touring to help regulate temps. Easy to throw the hood up if it's cold. Same with the houdini. Throwing the hood up provides a surprising amount of warmth.

I throw a shell or softshell on over this to ski down depending on the season. I won't bring a waterproof shell if the weather is nice or if it's warm. Waterproof shell is used more for winter days. I bring a synthetic puffy for longer breaks and emergencies. That covers 95% of my days.

I might use a light vest if it's super cold.
    You don't find the wap wap wap on the downhill to be obnoxious? I used a windshirt for a short bit until I couldn't deal with the noise on the down. Switched to a softshell - which also breathes significantly better, so I end up wearing it more often, and am more comfortable for a higher percentage of the tour. Win win?
    Last edited by Lindahl; 11-24-2015 at 07:10 PM.

I second the or ferrosi jacket

I rock the OR centrifuge next to skin on the up or when I'm running in not great weather and have been happy.

I've been a big fan of mine. Breathable, stretchy, fairly weather resistant, and super light. It's held up well through the bit of climbing that I've done in it. I don't think you'll be disappointed if the fit is good.

I've got one in medium in the grey, which I'd be open to selling for a good price. I just want to get one in a brighter color.

Damn, the Alpine Start does look appealing. I have a Dawn Patrol LT that I love the fabric on, but it's to heavy / bulky to throw in the pack. Alpine Start is nearly 1/3 the weight though, and packs up tiny.

DWR midlayer

I use an old thrift store find. It works well enough was cheap and i dont have to change shirts when i step in under the disco ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    You don't find the wap wap wap on the downhill to be obnoxious? I used a windshirt for a short bit until I couldn't deal with the noise on the down. Switched to a softshell - which also breathes significantly better, so I end up wearing it more often, and am more comfortable for a higher percentage of the tour. Win win?
    The noise never bothered me.

I can't argue with your logic on the softshell. The low weight/bulk of the Houdini always won out. Softshells, even unlined stretch woven ones are heavier/bulkier in general but something like that BD Alpine Start looks perfect for this application.

Agreed. If it was on the market I would have considered it heavily. Might be too low weight to avoid wap wap? I've heard odd things about the fit though.

+1 on OR Ferrosi. I wear mine for everything from touring to alpine climbing to trail running on wet days. Has decent DWR and dries super fast if it does get wet. On nice days it blocks wind so well I don't bother adding a layer for the ski down.

So I ended up going with the BD Alpine Start hoody. Awesome piece, so far looks like everything that I have been looking for. Super thin Schoeller softshell with no liner or insulation. Should keep the snow from getting me wet while not overheating.

On a side note, BD was awesome to deal with. Being in Canada, I expected shipping to take a while and cost me additional $$ after the fact. Not only was there no additional brokerage or shipping fees (other than what was shown on the site) it arrived within a week. When I first put it on, it was a little too short. I called BD and even though I bought last year's closeout on sale, they are going to exchange it with a current hoody in the right size. Stoked on their customer service! It was $89 on closeout and the new ones were $149. I would have gladly paid some of the difference but they were happy to hook me up!