Wrought iron Stair Railings

I need a wrought iron railing going up 5 stairs and then straight back about 8 feet, on our back door steps. Estimates are about $1500 which may be normal price-wise but I don't want to pay that as a cheap bastard.

If I could find a pre-made iron piece that would fit, I could drill it in the concrete myself. Lowes has some cheap options but I can't see them in person without ordering them, and I think they may be flimsy crap.

Any real world advice and also what not to do?

Off the shelf Wrought Iron railing that happens to fit your specific situation will be hard to come by for cheap. Extruded aluminum handrails are super easy to install and cut to length for custom installations. Much cheaper than $1500 for that small amount of railing as well I'd guess. There's a bunch of suppliers/options around here and I'm sure the same applies for wherever you're at.

Thanks SherpaHigh, I'll look into it!

doughboyshredder Guest
    $1,500.00 is cheap.

Aluminum is garbage.

If you want to save some money take the measurements and draw what you need. Doesn't have to be a cad drawing but make sure it has every detail and all of the measurements. *every* detail and *every* measurements.

Then call around to every metal fab shop you can find and get it priced bare. Then call around to every powder coat shop and get the best price you can find. $100-150 should be about right.

Doing all of this you may be able to get it done for less than $1,000.00 but it's going to cost you a lot of time and you will have to do the install yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    $1,500.00 is cheap.

Aluminum is garbage.

If you want to save some money take the measurements and draw what you need. Doesn't have to be a cad drawing but make sure it has every detail and all of the measurements. *every* detail and *every* measurements.

Then call around to every metal fab shop you can find and get it priced bare. Then call around to every powder coat shop and get the best price you can find. $100-150 should be about right.

Doing all of this you may be able to get it done for less than $1,000.00 but it's going to cost you a lot of time and you will have to do the install yourself.
    I actually run a metal fab shop and we do powder coating as well. We mainly stick to sheet metal fab work but definitely have experience with this type of thing as well, especially the powder coating end of it. Everything you say is true except the part about Aluminum being garbage, IMO. The extruded aluminum handrail systems that are out there now provide are a great option for railing. Custom wrought iron stuff can be nice and all, but is definitely not a DIY for anyone without a welder in their garage and is going to be costly in comparison.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpahigh View Post
    I actually run a metal fab shop and we do powder coating as well. We mainly stick to sheet metal fab work but definitely have experience with this type of thing as well, especially the powder coating end of it. Everything you say is true except the part about Aluminum being garbage, IMO. The extruded aluminum handrail systems that are out there now provide are a great option for railing. Custom wrought iron stuff can be nice and all, but is definitely not a DIY for anyone without a welder in their garage and is going to be costly in comparison.
    I just don't like aluminum. It feels and looks cheap IMO. We don't install handrail, so I don't really have any experience with the extrusions you're talking about.

We do stuff like this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141215_160151.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	172409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121109_160544.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	172411

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    I just don't like aluminum. It feels and looks cheap IMO. We don't install handrail, so I don't really have any experience with the extrusions you're talking about.

We do stuff like this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141215_160151.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	172409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121109_160544.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	172411
    That doesn't look like Panama to me :-)

Are you back up North for the season or something?

doughboyshredder Guest
    Haven't moved yet.