Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TFL OMG WTF

TFL OMG WTF

So I've had intermittent problems with this muscle for years on my right side in particular, always thought it was my hip flexor but finally researched it during this latest episode and it's the Tensor Fasciae Latae that's the issue. Supposedly sitting on your ass too much is the most common root cause and I'm sure I'm guilty of that and it probably doesn't help that I'm on the rowing machine pretty much every day, where it gets contracted but never really stretched.

Just took a trip where we walked a shitload every day and by the end of the trip I was crippled. Found a couple stretches that target the muscle but it doesn't feel much if any better, who has some tips for me? (Yeah get up and walk, I'm on it....or I will be when this shit hurts less). Any other tips? Can't really run, feet are too fucked up.

edit: Searching "tensor" showed one mention in the long ITB thread but nothing really directly related...but you can't search 3-letter words so maybe this has been covered? If so a link would be appreciated.
    Last edited by iceman; 11-23-2015 at 05:55 PM.

have you talked to a PT?

apropos of nothing...i had astym done once for hip & IT band issues and it helped a bunch...painful therapy but surprisingly successful result

You might try Active Release Therapy (ART). This site looks like it can help you find a provider in your area. ART has helped me with various soft tissue issues. Good luck.

that sucks

PT is always good- they are always so helpful with little common sense things to help alleviate the issue and things to do to help in the future.
    we have really good PT's here so maybe it's way easier to get to etc but I always feel they are worth their weight in gold

TFL OMG WTF

Ice...little things during the day can nip that right in the bud. Rolling is all the rage but hitting the side of your hip/ass a couple times a week with a lax ball and a small amount of fairly consistent stretching can help take care of it.

Like others said, a pt or ART can help, even a masseuse for targeted work will help immediately. Pt can help teach you the little tricks to get rid of that shit longer term.
    Decisions Decisions

Yeah I have somewhat easy access to pretty decent PT, I've only ever gone before for injuries but I guess this counts as an injury, I wasn't even thinking of doing that so thanks.

Brock I don't know much if anything at all about rolling, what do you do with the lax ball, just use it for pressure, roll it across the area hard?

Thanks.

Ellipticycle, then stretch and do the stretch where you sit on the floor, put your feet sole to sole on the floor and pull them in as far as you can.

Works for this old guy with wracked knees and achy hips.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Put the ball on the ground and lay your target area on it. Move around a bit, it's like a massage. You use the ball to mash up the muscles that are tight, which gives the discomfort. Lax ball is sort of advanced and may cause a little discomfort but I figure you have one laying around.

For stretching, give a little warmup- hate stretching cold muscles- but this is great after those hikes. Lay on back, pull knee to chest, lightly stretch your ass. Take opposite arm, grab knee, and pull sideways to stretch the outer hip.

Yoga probably wouldn't be that bad an idea, but again Id hate to just dive in stretching a cold area.
    Decisions Decisions

^^^ as above with a softer ball also works and less "discomfort"
    tennis ball, pinky ball, the bouncy little kids baseballs (pre-hardball)

or get a foam roller (find them at big box sports stores now of various flavors)

just roll up to the spot, and then ease onto it and off of it with your full body weight...keep working over it until the pain is more manageable
    do it a couple times a day

Cool thanks I'll give all this stuff a shot and see what works for me.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Stretch the opposing and surrounding muscles as well.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Currently having same flare up - thanks for info - mine is on left side. When I lay on left side, sends searing pain to outer shin as well as outside hip. Will check out these sites . . . after skiing

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    my in house pt says we both need to live healthier lifestyles
    but will treat you when you come out
    never been
    was it good?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yeah it was a good trip except I was gimping pretty hard through a lot of it. Great weather, good food, good to see the kid, definitely a fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah it was a good trip except I was gimping pretty hard through a lot of it. Great weather, good food, good to see the kid, definitely a fun time.
    Segway

or swagway?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    or swagway?
    Those are nice shoes. It that old larry in the pic?
    skid luxury

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    iceman don't buy jeans 2 sizes to tall
    heals up old man
    enjoy the day of thanks
    ski ya in a week or so
    you should call and see if there are any old summit chairs left
    you and the sweety can empty nest on the back deck in a 2xchair
    overlookin the sickgnar that the rog noodled solo for season after he couldn't hang in the lcc
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

You bought one? Nice. I was thinking one would be cool out on the porch but N. was against it for some reason but if there's any left I'll try again, I think it would be pretty great.

I saw some people on these one-wheel scooters in Spain, not sure how good they are but they seemed to work and I was jelly.

lacrosse (sp?) balls ftw. also taping two together can be money depending on what you're trying to hit.

this thread scares the shit outta me as mobility is something I definitely neglect.

This shit is back after almost 2 years and wow I am fucking crippled. Gonna have to follow some of the advice from earlier in the thread again because I am so fucked up right now I can hardly walk. Literally a quarter-mile might as well be a marathon. I can not do it. Almost 2 years free of pain went by so that's good but right now this really really hurts a ton.

Anyone additional thoughts/ideas/whatever for me? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    You might try Active Release Therapy (ART). This site looks like it can help you find a provider in your area. ART has helped me with various soft tissue issues. Good luck.
    Ice, you should convince your wife that the "release" part above is critical to recovery. After all, "studies have shown."

TFL OMG WTF

Ice if you can get to Boston I have a PT/chiro that can help w diagnosing, treating, and exercises. He does Graston and ART as well (if appropriate). Treated me for tendinitis and basically our whole crossfit gym on whatever issues pop up.
    Decisions Decisions

Brock yeah I can get to Boston it's only like an hour and fifteen, I'll basically do whatever it takes, maybe PM me or text me or whatever as to how to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    then stretch and do the stretch where you sit on the floor, put your feet sole to sole on the floor and pull them in as far as you can.

Works for this old guy with wracked knees and achy hips.
    two old guys it worked for
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man