Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two-way Radio Recs? (2015)

. . . for backcountry skiing. Kids destroyed my last set. Preferences: smaller, holds charge longer, viable over longer distances, and, if possible, available on Amazon is always great.

Yaesu makes some great little radios, I have the vr 32, maybe, really small

Baofeng UV5 has worked for me. Buy the larger antennae for better range.

There are variations of this radio and I am unsure if there are quality variations.

Hugely available on Amazon

If I were to spend more money Icon were the ones we used for bridge to deck communication and they seemed very well built.

I just spent way more time than necessary reading up on Baofengs. I went UV-82HP. More recent firmware, better reception with the antenna that comes with it (eg you may be fine without upgrading), good battery life, more power, better overall reviews from radio nerds, and seemingly more durable than the UV-5. It was like $20-30 more than the UV-5. Pretty nominal, IMO. I'll post the Amazon links later to exactly what I picked up. I may pick up a UV-5 to make it a set so I can lend one to a buddy, but there's another small newer Baofeng that's like $5 more than the cheapest one and it's supposed to be better too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Yaesu makes some great little radios, I have the vr 32, maybe, really small
    Agreed. Been using the vx7r for years.

VX-6 works great as well, bomber.

F, here's the stuff I bought:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s01
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s01

The last one isn't necessary for the ski radio setup, but it lets you turn a computer (or phone, with the right adapter) into an SDR radio. E.g. a scanner. Should be useful to pick up CHP and such when the roads are a mess.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Thanks, folks! Looking at your recommendations now.

So, the UV-5 and UV-82HP both look nice except that the antennae on both seem extremely long. Where do you put the radio when you're climbing/skiing? Ideally, I'd keep it in my breast or hip pocket. But the antenna on each looks like it's 14" (radio included).

I have mine on my backpack strap by my chest. The antenna only like 6" so it's out of the way most of the time. Only got poked in the nose once.. Other option is to get the extension mic and have the radio in your pack.

Do you just want them to talk to your climbing/ski partners? I.e. partners that aren't far away? If so, just get gmrs or frs radios.

The fancier radios (I have a yaesu vx7r) gets more frequencies & can be set to higher tx power but it still only really works line of sight. I.e. it won't transmit over a big mountain. The nicest feature is its waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Do you just want them to talk to your climbing/ski partners? I.e. partners that aren't far away? If so, just get gmrs or frs radios.

The fancier radios (I have a yaesu vx7r) gets more frequencies & can be set to higher tx power but it still only really works line of sight. I.e. it won't transmit over a big mountain. The nicest feature is its waterproof.
    Basically, yeah. I've used radios in the past to keep in communication when there are slower and faster parties in the same group, to scout lines where one partner has a better vantage, and, once, to communicate with SAR when a partner badly hurt himself. I don't care about having a gazillion frequencies or HAM radio access (whatever that is). Access to weather updates, however, sounds useful.

All of these are really only going to work within LOS, and maybe 5 miles. VHF and UHF are both pretty strict on the LOS. If you are on opposite peaks or ridges VHF will give you better range but you should make sure you have really clear LOS. If in tighter areas (canyons, trees, and bellow ridge lines, UHF will tend to work better, especially if you don't have perfect LOS, but expect a loss in overall range. When planning your travel, keep this in mind, and set up a couple of channels on both VHF and UHF if you will be seeing a variety of terrain.

Your comms will only work as well as your antennas. The short whip shown on those will be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to get a longer whip that you can leave woven on your pack through PALS/Daisy chains or straps most of the time. When you are fighting to get your comms up, or won't be moving, go ahead and unwrap it it, and stick it into the air to get better LOS. Your shovel will fuck with it a bit though while it is wrapped on your pack. DONT try and run it on your belt line, you won't be able to talk.

If you are planning on the baofeng bring some extra parts.

Regardless, don't expect to be able to talk if you have a terrain feature between you. Even a small spur can fuck with you. Radios are finicky, so come up with a contingency since it really is just a matter of when you loose comms, not if.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Basically, yeah. I've used radios in the past to keep in communication when there are slower and faster parties in the same group, to scout lines where one partner has a better vantage, and, once, to communicate with SAR when a partner badly hurt himself. I don't care about having a gazillion frequencies or HAM radio access (whatever that is). Access to weather updates, however, sounds useful.
    For communicating with your buddies get gmrs/frs. In expensive canadia land they are ~$60 for a set of 3.

Gmrs probably won't communicate with SAR though... Up here SAR peeps I think (?) have UHF aircraft band to talk to the choppers.

HAM frequencies are in the 2m, usually around 146.000. They can transmit longer distances with a huge antenna but no advantage in your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    All of these are really only going to work within LOS, and maybe 5 miles. VHF and UHF are both pretty strict on the LOS. If you are on opposite peaks or ridges VHF will give you better range but you should make sure you have really clear LOS. If in tighter areas (canyons, trees, and bellow ridge lines, UHF will tend to work better, especially if you don't have perfect LOS, but expect a loss in overall range. When planning your travel, keep this in mind, and set up a couple of channels on both VHF and UHF if you will be seeing a variety of terrain.

Your comms will only work as well as your antennas. The short whip shown on those will be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to get a longer whip that you can leave woven on your pack through PALS/Daisy chains or straps most of the time. When you are fighting to get your comms up, or won't be moving, go ahead and unwrap it it, and stick it into the air to get better LOS. Your shovel will fuck with it a bit though while it is wrapped on your pack. DONT try and run it on your belt line, you won't be able to talk.

If you are planning on the baofeng bring some extra parts.

Regardless, don't expect to be able to talk if you have a terrain feature between you. Even a small spur can fuck with you. Radios are finicky, so come up with a contingency since it really is just a matter of when you loose comms, not if.
    Solid advice

I have these which I've used for the last 2-3yrs in AK, significantly better than the shitty Motorola's they pass out to clients and even the guides use. Have not had one die on me on any given day and these two are always loudest transmitting or receiving in the group. We're often talking around terrain features (that's the whole point) but rarely more than 1-2 miles away, which I wouldn't think you would want to be anyway human powered in the BC.

http://www.rei.com/product/790323/mi...-radios-2-pack

You can check em out/borrow them any time

Ive had way better than just line of sight with the VX7Rs. Trick is to upgrade the factory antenna. Longer antenna's in general make a huge difference but remember not all long antennas are equal. Its worth doing the research to match the antenna to the radio that you buy. For carrying the radios, either drop them into your pack, and avoid putting them too close to any large pieces of metal I.E. shovel. Or better yet buy a chest harness. I recommend these highly. They are actually made here in Bellingham too. http://www.conterra-inc.com/products...-chest-harness

If you are only going to occasionally use the radios for intra group communication then your probably better off sticking with the FRS radios. VHF radios require a license the majority of the time, and for you to know what freqs you are allowed and not allowed to work on.

If you work with heli's on a regular basis then they are mandatory. If you have access to local SAR and heli freq's then the VHF radios are worth their weight in gold. That functionality has really helped my crew out numerous times when an athlete got injured, and we where able to pick up a heli that was in the area, cutting a 6-8 hour evac down to 20 min.

^^^ Plus, with a chest harness and a shorty antenna under your shell you can listen to patrol frequencies for rope drops on powder days...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Ive had way better than just line of sight with the VX7Rs. Trick is to upgrade the factory antenna. Longer antenna's in general make a huge difference but remember not all long antennas are equal. Its worth doing the research to match the antenna to the radio that you buy. For carrying the radios, either drop them into your pack, and avoid putting them too close to any large pieces of metal I.E. shovel. Or better yet buy a chest harness. I recommend these highly. They are actually made here in Bellingham too. http://www.conterra-inc.com/products...-chest-harness

If you are only going to occasionally use the radios for intra group communication then your probably better off sticking with the FRS radios. VHF radios require a license the majority of the time, and for you to know what freqs you are allowed and not allowed to work on.

If you work with heli's on a regular basis then they are mandatory. If you have access to local SAR and heli freq's then the VHF radios are worth their weight in gold. That functionality has really helped my crew out numerous times when an athlete got injured, and we where able to pick up a heli that was in the area, cutting a 6-8 hour evac down to 20 min.
    Good information. Thanks!
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Thanks for the advice, fellas.

Were I a pro photographer or guide, I'd certainly consider a chest harness. But it kind of seems like overkill for my purposes.

I think I had the Midland radios that sierraskier linked. They were fine until they stopped working altogether. Looking at the reviews, this doesn't seem to be uncommon.

The solution seems to be to pick up one the Baofengs mentioned above with two antennae options: (1) a short stubby one for general use and (2) a longer one to be stored when the stubby one doesn't work.

^^^ That makes sense. Antennas are pretty cheap.

I still need to program mine... thinking local NWS repeaters, ski patrol frequencies, GMRS frequencies, etc. May try to find some repeaters around BC areas I frequent. Lets you get over hills in an emergency (when you're allowed to transmit without a license).

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Thanks for the advice, fellas.

Were I a pro photographer or guide, I'd certainly consider a chest harness. But it kind of seems like overkill for my purposes.

I think I had the Midland radios that sierraskier linked. They were fine until they stopped working altogether. Looking at the reviews, this doesn't seem to be uncommon.

The solution seems to be to pick up one the Baofengs mentioned above with two antennae options: (1) a short stubby one for general use and (2) a longer one to be stored when the stubby one doesn't work.
    Those chest harnesses are friggin hot and uncomfortable on the skin track, and can place the radio too close to your beacon.

Antennae: that world is not as simple as it seems. When you really start looking into it you find that different frequency bands work much better with an antenna which is tuned to that band. eg, if you buy a rubber duck antenna, you need one for UHF and one for VHF if you want to maximize the effectiveness of your comms. And even then within VHF, for example, you can get antennae specifically tuned to a 10Mhz band midpoint, eg if switching from 145Mhz to 175Mhz, you should also change your antenna. Switching antenna becomes more relevant if you use a field programmable radio.

For example, here is a good tough antenna that is tuned to perform only between 145-155Mhz. 150Mhz is the midpoint. http://www.smileyantenna.com/product-p/15020.htm

I've spoken with people who are not so fussed about what model radio you get, but more so having the correctly tuned antenna for the frequency you will be using. Apparently you do not want to create a 'standing wave'.

As for extending range, I heard rat tails are pretty good.
    Life is not lift served.

If you are considering switching antennas don't forget that if the radio is switched on with no antenna connected it will be fried.

My experience with radios dying is usually the batteries are fkd, or the rechargeable batteries don't hold a charge properly & thus go dead super quick.

You guys are inspiring me to try to find the Spiderman walkie talkies I had when I was a kid. They seemed to work just fine and were about million times simpler.

I know, I know. I can not brain all this radio stuff myself..

Just buy the red one

Life is not lift served.