Blizzard bodacious 2016 or....?

Been reading up on the new bodacious and pretty keen to add it to the quiver for this season. Any one got much time on them? Only a couple basic reviews around so far.

Couple of things,

My favourite pow ski ever is the 190cm lotus 120 hybrid but want something a bit more versatile. Loved the lotus in deep (obviously) and could charge or pivot and slash. I skied them a LOT in Cham even when conditions were hard, wind crusted, everything shitty and they were pretty great really. Liked the big predictable radius.

I rarely had wet piles of chop to contend with over there, and generally had a lot of room to play with.

Now I live in Whistler and want a pow ski I can finish the day on-after everything has been turned into wet piles of shit.

I think I want a 5 point ski with chops basically, no noodle. A longer radius (mid 20's to low 30's) but tighter than the lotus, it's too much of a freight train on crowded whistler groomers. 115-120mm, 186-190cm.

Think along the lines of the few skis that can bust crud and float in pow equally well.

They will be paired with the experience 100's for no snow resort skiing. (Too bigger gap between the 100's and lotus' imo)

Length is another thing, the bodacious is 185 or 193.
    The lotus 190 was perfect length-does anyone know what they measured at with a tip-tail straight pull? The bodacious actually measure 191ish and 183ish

Feel free to suggest other skis, but big brands that are available in Canada because of the dollar. I like Indy skis (gpo could be a good fit) but Let's keep it to the bigger brands for a reason relating to money.
    Last edited by rob stokes; 11-21-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Red ones for sure. Lost focus part way through your post. But Bodacious 2016 look sweet, you
    should probably get those.

Yeah shit, that's long eh.

I'll get the red ones

I'll measure the 193s when I get home. These are my new pow skis. Love the Spur but once it gets cut up 125 is just a little much on the ol knees. Took the 193 to AK last spring and had a blast. Old Bodacious was rad but man it would kick your ass after a few laps if you weren't on top of it. New ski maybe doesn't have quite the high end crud crushing characteristics but it floats better and is a much better ski all day at the resort than the old one. Light but super stable, just like the spur.

Aye, I feel you on the 125 in crud. I have the Prior A-star 193 right now, they are pretty much identical numbers to the spur and it's a bit much when it's cruddy. They measure a true 193 straight pull and they are debatably to long as well.

Dude. 191 billy goat.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Feel free to suggest other skis, but big brands that are available in Canada because of the dollar. I like Indy skis (gpo could be a good fit) but Let's keep it to the bigger brands for a reason relating to money.
    Over 1000$CAD for the billygoats.

Squads are an option actually, read the blister review and wasn't too stoked on the softer tip.

Cheers for the recommendations

I am also looking for more reviews of the 2016 Bodacious. cant decide between them and the bg. my wallet wants the bodacious

I really liked my 193 Bodacious in Whistler. It defiantly needs another ski to compliment it, and your Ex100s will do a good job of that. They defiantly still hold an edge well. Great powder ski if you like to drive and carve through the turn.

I'll update this post if I think of some other good options. If you can find a pair of Dynastar Big Dumps those are great.

Have you tried the 193 Gunsmokes? A buddy let me try his towards the end of last season and I bought them off him at the end of the day, and spent the rest of the season on them. They crush crud, float just the right amount and wiggle though bumps pretty well for being a 193. I do also have a pair of 2014 186 Bodacious I picked up for cheep from STP and plan on trying them this winter.

If this helps my quiver is:

189 Spur (white ones)
    186 Bodacious 2014
    193 Gunsmoke 2015
    187 Bonafide 2014
    180 Nordica Firearrow 80 (for when we don't get snow and I feel like going Mach 8)

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I really liked my 193 Bodacious in Whistler. It defiantly needs another ski to compliment it, and your Ex100s will do a good job of that. They defiantly still hold an edge well. Great powder ski if you like to drive and carve through the turn.

I'll update this post if I think of some other good options. If you can find a pair of Dynastar Big Dumps those are great.
    Could you compare in with the bg in trees soft snow and open Hard snow?

Cheers for all the advice, if I can sell on my current set up I'm gonna be all over the blizzards I think.

Any one else with time on them?
    Last edited by rob stokes; 11-23-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by exxun View Post
    Could you compare in with the bg in trees soft snow and open Hard snow?
    NOTHING skis trees as well as a BG. Almost everything with normal side cut skis open hard snow better than a ski with RES.

The BG is looser, especially with the edges in the tip which makes it more confidence inspiring in tight places or funky snow and the Bodacious is more traditional in how it hooks up through the turn. Both great skis, but a little different and if you like skiing fast in soft snow and don't own one of them your're fucking wrong.

NOTHING skis trees as well as a BG.
    4FRNT Renegade. I know you hate that ski, but it was awesome in trees for me.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

NOTHING skis trees as well as a BG. Almost everything with normal side cut skis open hard snow better than a ski with RES.

The BG is looser, especially with the edges in the tip which makes it more confidence inspiring in tight places or funky snow and the Bodacious is more traditional in how it hooks up through the turn. Both great skis, but a little different and if you like skiing fast in soft snow and don't own one of them your're fucking wrong.
    After skiing trees all day on Sat on a 187 Praxis Protest, I gotta say that it equals the 186 BG for tree skiing quickness.

Otherwise I agree 100%.

those are both pure pow skis, the BG and Bodacious, both under 120mm, are fantastic inbounds soft snow skis that are capable and fun in non pow situations.

Let me revise: NOTHING skis trees (in a variety of snow conditions) alas well as a Billy Goat

the BG and Bodacious, both under 120mm, are fantastic inbounds soft snow skis that are capable and fun in non pow situations.
    That's what I'm after.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    4FRNT Renegade. I know you hate that ski, but it was awesome in trees for me.
    Yeah, I like my Kusalas (carbon Renegade) more than the BGs in trees (and elsewhere) also. But XavierD is right - they're pretty fat for a soft snow daily driver. If I'm gonna ski the resort though, I'm a bigger fan of narrower skis - 108-110ish is just about right imo. Better after 10am in tracked up snow. If I'm heading to the sidecountry after tracking up the resort, I'll just bring my Kusalas instead, since its untracked all day.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 11-25-2015 at 03:38 AM.

those are both pure pow skis, the BG and Bodacious, both under 120mm, are fantastic inbounds soft snow skis that are capable and fun in non pow situations.

Let me revise: NOTHING skis trees (in a variety of snow conditions) alas well as a Billy Goat
    Ok shit i will get very poor very soon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    That's what I'm after.
    If you like the way the E100 ski I think you will really like the feel and edge of the Bodacious.
    Size wise, both the 15/16 Cochise and Bodacious, the 19X length is a different ski than the 185. In both you get a much longer turn radius (32 vs 27 for the Bodacious) which really does make the ski want to run longer and more open. The ski really likes to be turned in a traditional style, initiating through the tip and bending the sidecut into the turn. If you ski It like this you will be rewarded with a really smooth a precise feel in a way that most other big tapered skis don't. Given this, the naturally tighter turn radius of the 185 lends itself to being able to work tighter areas without breaking the ski out of the turn and sliding the tails around. At 5'10" ~200lb, I really like the 193, but that is mostly for more open terrain, and using other skis (189 Billy Goat) If I am hunting turns in steep and trees (generally not at Whistler). If I was going to be using the Bodacious in tighter terrain I wouldn't hesitate to have gotten the 185.
    If the above doesn't give you a good idea of which size you want, I would base it off which size E100 you ski.
    190: get the 193.
    182: get the 185.
    Last edited by XavierD; 11-26-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Jeff 114's?

Might want to throw the Jeff 114 in there as well. Might be more playful than the skis already mentioned in this thread but they're worth at least mentioning since I haven't read a negative review of them yet.

If you like the way the E100 ski I think you will really like the feel and edge of the Bodacious.
    Size wise, both the 15/16 Cochise and Bodacious, the 19X length is a different ski than the 185. In both you get a much longer turn radius (32 vs 27 for the Bodacious) which really does make the ski want to run longer and more open. The ski really likes to be turned in a traditional style, initiating through the tip and bending the sidecut into the turn. If you ski It like this you will be rewarded with a really smooth a precise feel in a way that most other big tapered skis don't. Given this, the naturally tighter turn radius of the 185 lends itself to being able to work tighter areas without breaking the ski out of the turn and sliding the tails around. At 5'10" ~200lb, I really like the 193, but that is mostly for more open terrain, and using other skis (189 Billy Goat) If I am hunting turns in steep and trees (generally not at Whistler). If I was going to be using the Bodacious in tighter terrain I wouldn't hesitate to have gotten the 185.
    If the above doesn't give you a good idea of which size you want, I would base it off which size E100 you ski.
    190: get the 193.
    182: get the 185.
    That's sick, so stoked on this ski. I actually don't have the exp 100's but I plan on getting them soon. I had the exp 98 in a 188cm (regretful sale there) so I'll probably be getting the big bodacious.