Dirt drops? Interrupter levers?

Doing my part to keep Sprockets alive with lazy, poorly researched questions.

Been doing some gravel rides on a Haanjo Comp. One in particular near my house is a 3 mile, 1500 foot climb to the top of the Blue Ridge. The first mile is pretty flat, so the next two are particularly steep. Going up is hard, but coming down is downright terrifying. Steep, loose, braking bumped gravel makes for an interesting descent.

On the hoods, I don't have much brake leverage, so my hands get worked, and my grip isn't great because I'm contorting my hands to get some more stoppage. The drops are better braking, but fuck that. It's just feels deadly all the way out/down there, and the braking bumps almost shake me off the bike.

What's the solution, here? Interrupters would bring my weight back, and give me a good hand position for braking. Dirt drops are generally shorter, and seem to provide a more comfy braking position. Dirt drops with interrupters?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Doing my part to keep Sprockets alive with lazy, poorly researched questions.

Been doing some gravel rides on a Haanjo Comp. One in particular near my house is a 3 mile, 1500 foot climb to the top of the Blue Ridge. The first mile is pretty flat, so the next two are particularly steep. Going up is hard, but coming down is downright terrifying. Steep, loose, braking bumped gravel makes for an interesting descent.

On the hoods, I don't have much brake leverage, so my hands get worked, and my grip isn't great because I'm contorting my hands to get some more stoppage. The drops are better braking, but fuck that. It's just feels deadly all the way out/down there, and the braking bumps almost shake me off the bike.

What's the solution, here? Interrupters would bring my weight back, and give me a good hand position for braking. Dirt drops are generally shorter, and seem to provide a more comfy braking position. Dirt drops with interrupters?

Get your bars higher and descend in the drops, excellent control. Interrupters seem cool but your hands will be too close together. Everyone I've suggested this to stops using their interrupters.

Dropper post?

Dirt drop handlebars. Flare, short reach drop bars.

I feel way more comfortable in the drops going down steep/bumpy stuff, and my bars are about as low as they'll go ( I would have to pull off the dust cap or go to a -17deg stem). Think on the tops with your hands that close together would just make everything harder.
    Last edited by jamal; 11-21-2015 at 06:28 PM.

Getting comfortable descending in that more roadie-like position takes time. Saddle time.

Like Aaron said, interruptors on the bartop/flats put your hands closer together. Most of us humans find that hand position more sketchy, rather than less sketchy.

I use On-One Midge bars on my CX bike, they have a much better hand position for all sorts of unpaved surface riding. Lots wider than even a 46cm CX or road bar, lots more flare, but the drop is very shallow. I like descending on these bars, and when I swapped bikes with a friend on a dirt road/trail ride I found his traditional CX bars (gentle flare like Salsa Bell Lap) just plain sketchy to descend on compared to the Midge bars. I also found his bar top interruptor levers useless. But then at the same time I know a few people who like their bar top levers and even descend in that position.

I wondered about the width with interrupters. I don't know a CX drop from a road drop, but these don't feel different than road bikes I've ridden. I'm sure it's something I could get used to, but it would be nice to feel more in control. I have them turned up a good bit. Much further, and the hoods would get uncomfortable, I'd think. I'll see.

The Midges are on the radar. Also liking the looks of the Salsa Woodchipper and/or Cowchippers. Would something like the Woodchipper be overkill for a bike that mostly sees gravel road use?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I wondered about the width with interrupters. I don't know a CX drop from a road drop, but these don't feel different than road bikes I've ridden. I'm sure it's something I could get used to, but it would be nice to feel more in control. I have them turned up a good bit. Much further, and the hoods would get uncomfortable, I'd think. I'll see.
    Don't forget that if you roll the bars in the stem and find the hoods now are in an awkward place, you can remove the bar tape, adjust where the levers sit on the bars, and re-wrap the tape.

The Midges are on the radar. Also liking the looks of the Salsa Woodchipper and/or Cowchippers. Would something like the Woodchipper be overkill for a bike that mostly sees gravel road use?
    Probably more a question of whether the flares on the Woodchipper, Cowchipper, Midge, or other flared bar end up making your upper body into a big sail, which might get frustrating over a long ride if you buck a lot of headwind on that bike. Try them out, see what you find. I don't ride long periods into the wind on my CX bike. My road bike has 44cm bars and they are better for punching the wind since they make me more compact. But I hardly ride that bike these days and whenever I do the road bars always feel too narrow for me, too elbows-in.

There may be some kind of bike fashion error in running those bars when you ride with a bunch of people who have Gravel Grinder or whatever bikes, I don't know.

Don't roll the bars, get a taller stem. On a general purpose long distance, dirt road and trail bike I like the tops of the bars roughly level with the top of the saddle.